NLLSP- No Longer a Large Scary Project- finished

chrish

Thanks for looking and the encouragement

I've begun spraying some paint, it's got 3 shades of olive drab on the top of the wing and 2 shades of gray on the bottom. I shot gloss black on the de-ice boot then punched tape discs to make masked spots (to look like patches on the boot) and then shot rubber black. The gloss black spots almost disappeared but can be seen in the right light, then the damage areas were scrubbed to get the aluminum color showing through. I made my own mask with circle cutter and tape for the star.

ie0XlJK.jpg

MdAijyT.jpg

f7NyOS0.jpg

UIXQEOw.jpg

Thank you for looking

Thanks!

and thanks for looking, I'm getting paint on and I'm thinking it's looking a little more convincing now. It did/ does take a lot of my intestinal fortitude to damage the kit in a way that there's no coming back from...short of sourcing new parts and starting over. I think I'm over (a) hump with the paint going on now.

masking for the triangle and letter, the white is "dirtied" with a bit of Tamiya "desert yellow" and the blue was painted out of centre and in a washed out blue to (hopefully) give the impression of field applied, old paint.

4BHLex3.jpg

white overspray has been cleaned up

1Nxqgro.jpg

left wing getting the works

Wzqmfyc.jpg

BFt0gsz.jpg

on mask removal I noted I hadn't gone far enough or, too lightly with the blue in some spots, easy to fix.

lx3Zo1M.jpg

I've got a bit more paint work done (I've been able to go back to my trusty double action Iwata Eclipse) and begin adding shade and tonal variations to the paint, not that it really needs it because in places where I put the paint on too thin it actually looked quite real...but I went ahead and fixed that too real problem. I've been adding red brown, flat brown, olive green and yellow to the base color of olive drab in the airbrush. and trying to spray panels, panel lines, etc. with the different shades.

Seen in the pictures are the masks I've begun to cut using Tamiya tape and Frisket film I've traced from the HK Models kit and Kitsworld's decals. On an interesting (to me) side note, upon tracing out the HK Models decals star I thought I had goobered them badly, I was using an RB Products straight edge to cut them out and noticed the stars arms weren't symmetrical. I put the straight edge on the decal sheet to find I hadn't goobered the tracing but HK Models had goobered them. So I made my own with a compass, protractor and straight edge. 

QO9qLmf.jpg

qMB7sku.jpg

CSBslq6.jpg

The perforations in the skin have been shot and brush painted with chipping medium and will be worked out after the plane letters and national markings have been painted on...hopefully

Thank you for looking

2 hours ago, chrish said:

I've got a bit more paint work done (I've been able to go back to my trusty double action Iwata Eclipse) and begin adding shade and tonal variations to the paint, not that it really needs it because in places where I put the paint on too thin it actually looked quite real...but I went ahead and fixed that too real problem. I've been adding red brown, flat brown, olive green and yellow to the base color of olive drab in the airbrush. and trying to spray panels, panel lines, etc. with the different shades.

Seen in the pictures are the masks I've begun to cut using Tamiya tape and Frisket film I've traced from the HK Models kit and Kitsworld's decals. On an interesting (to me) side note, upon tracing out the HK Models decals star I thought I had goobered them badly, I was using an RB Products straight edge to cut them out and noticed the stars arms weren't symmetrical. I put the straight edge on the decal sheet to find I hadn't goobered the tracing but HK Models had goobered them. So I made my own with a compass, protractor and straight edge. 

QO9qLmf.jpg

qMB7sku.jpg

CSBslq6.jpg

The perforations in the skin have been shot and brush painted with chipping medium and will be worked out after the plane letters and national markings have been painted on...hopefully

Thank you for looking

your large scary project is looking good.  I'm working on a LSP of my own, 1/32 ID Models B-29 vacform!

Bruce

Edited by Bruce