HKM September announcement??

Artful69

16 hours ago, Artful69 said:

Brian ... I know all about this release ... The statement was referring to NON LSP's ...

Rog :)

Yes, but a set of 1/32 chocks, ladders and FOD covers is non-LSP

No one has specifically stated it's a SSP,  LST, LSS or packet of Woodbine cigarettes, although smaller scale plane seems the most likely.

Tony 

12 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

Yep, with individual pistons, rings, I hear it will have ammo belts with individual bullets.

Yeah, yeah: Everyone has head that before. "Too much detail" complaints without the realization that you only have to put what you want into it. Or "It's over engineered", or "It costs too much" and on and on.

You can bet your bottom dollar it will look like a P-51B, and everything will fit. Given HKM's track record so far, I wouldn't bet a penny on that from them. 

ZM kits are certainly not for everyone, though. Some folks need over-simplified, cheap kits. 

D

9 hours ago, D Bellis said:

You can bet your bottom dollar it will look like a P-51B, and everything will fit. Given HKM's track record so far, I wouldn't bet a penny on that from them. 

ZM kits are certainly not for everyone, though. Some folks need over-simplified, cheap kits. 

I've built quite a few ZM kits and met the "old man" and talked to him via his sons on quite a few occasions.

Their passion for the hobby is second to none and their models are very nice indeed. However, facts bare out that they are in many aspects a bit over engineered with some of their features getting in the way of the build itself. 

I also just finished one of the nicest, best fitting kits I've finished in a long time, an HKM Do-335. It was as accurate in shape as the ZM offering from a non SME perspective and fit about as well as any kit I've assembled.

I've also built the HKM B-25 as well as their Meteor for a client.

They were all great builds and I would hardly call any of them over simplified or cheap.

7 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

I've built quite a few ZM kits and met the "old man" and talked to him via his sons on quite a few occasions.

Their passion for the hobby is second to none and their models are very nice indeed. However, facts bare out that they are in many aspects a bit over engineered with some of their features getting in the way of the build itself. 

I also just finished one of the nicest, best fitting kits I've finished in a long time, an HKM Do-335. It was as accurate in shape as the ZM offering from a non SME perspective and fit about as well as any kit I've assembled.

I've also built the HKM B-25 as well as their Meteor for a client.

They were all great builds and I would hardly call any of them over simplified or cheap.

I've only built 3 ZM kits (2 - twice) ... A couple of P-51.D's, a couple of Ta-152.H-1's and the He.219 ... In each case I'd heard about some 'fit issues' ... along with the usual whinging and complaints about over-engineering etc but the reality is ... everything will fit almost snap together-like providing the instructions are followed and dry-fit checked (as they all should be by any modeller with sound mental faculties) - and for any kit, before assembly, regardless of manufacturer. It's just sound common sense.

Tolerances ARE tight - but they should be on ANY good model kit ... so I can't understand why any of the extra detail (aka "Over engineering") should get "in the way" of the build??

Revell's more recent releases are a better example of over engineering that will do your head in. No real "extra detail" ... just a bucket load of extra work and mucking about in assembly (109 landing gear anyone?)

I don't particularly like the idea of the clear plastic supplied for the see-thru stuff ... but that's just personal preference and only because I don't like that particular type of display ... the clear stuff takes paint just as well as grey or any other coloured pigmented plastic ... just ask the 10 or so canopies I've botched over the years!

No problems with HKM stuff either ... except there has been a couple of glaring accuracy issues that have spoilt a couple of their releases ... a shame - because the engineering on their stuff is pretty decent too ... with positive fit and minimal adjustment.

Rog :)

2 hours ago, Artful69 said:

Tolerances ARE tight - but they should be on ANY good model kit ... so I can't understand why any of the extra detail (aka "Over engineering") should get "in the way" of the build??

My comment had nothing to do with fit what so ever. ZM kits do fit excellently, that is for sure.

What I meant by that is the fact that there are some things, say like the folding mechanism on their Spad; in theory it was to be a working option, but in reality if you did leave it working, the minor gaps created in the wings make a way less than perfect build, so from what I've read (including myself) most everyone building the kit either glued them in the extended or folded position.

It was a cool idea for sure, but practically speaking it took some extra time to seal everything up, when it could have just been an option for up OR down.

Another example is their standard type engine treatment with internal working mechanisms, or internal wing ribs.

Again, the fit was great, no complaints at all, those parts just took more time to put together when it was all never going to be seen ever again. I know some have used their clear parts to show the internals, but it's a rarity. The only exception for me would be the 229. Howver, even in that case I dont know anyone personally who likes the clear plastic much to show off that detail.

This is not a complaint against ZM, it's just factual from my building experience. ZM kits are fantastic and I'll be building more for sure. 

8 minutes ago, Darren Howie said:

If its not a B-26 ill be surprised.

The B-25 made there name and its big but not huge like the B-17 and Lanc.

Per K1 and Jennings the very next release will not be an LSP. But there is apparently an LSP coming, but not a new kit. 

On 9/8/2019 at 5:20 AM, LSP_Kevin said:

While I don't know what it is, I do know that it's not an LSP. Straight from the horse's mouth.

Kev

On 9/8/2019 at 8:39 AM, Jennings Heilig said:

There is an LSP coming from HKM, but it's not a brand new kit, it's a variation.

Straight. From. The. Horse's. Mouth.  I'll let Neil give the specifics, but it's 1/32 scale.

21 minutes ago, Neo said:

Dosent this kit already exists on the market? ZM did one right

ZM does also do the Do-335A-12, but HKM listed the kit as part of their series on the box side of their first Do335B-2 kit when it was released five years ago, before the ZM kit was released.  Both companies also do Do-335 single seat fighters.

Here's a question.

Do lot's of variants of subjects increase or decrease sales overall, e.g the Do-335 in this particular discussion?

If you had just one choice with a couple of variant selections included within it, would it be the best choice for a manufacturer to save on decal and packaging costs and advertising overall, thus making it more probable to decrease retail prices?

Yes, maximise the potential to recover the tooling costs but it could be a disincentive to purchase on first release if it's not your favourite?

It would be interesting to find out! B)