Menelaos

What will be Airfix's next 1:24?

11 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

Funny how many people seem to think that.........................
Until you talk to the guys who fly them. Ive talked to 4 now at two different airshows, with just me, them and my brother close enough to hear what they were saying, and they love, LOVE the airplane. 

Now if you don't like the looks of it, that's one thing, and the cost overruns are a known issue and the result of the government, not necessarily the ac manu, but the pilots who fly them indicated performance wise,  they are a lot of things but a steaming pile is not one of them. 

There's a series on in the UK at the moment about pilots training and converting onto the F-35.

The RAF/Fleet Air Arm pilots in the US doing the conversion absolutely love them.

Just one thing regarding the original Lightning not being deployed operationally abroad ?

How about Gutersloh and Geilenkirchen West Germany in the 60's during the cold war ?

RAF Akrotiri, Cyprus?

RAF Luqa, Malta ?

RAF Tengha, Singapore?

:D

Edited by PhilB

10 hours ago, PhilB said:

There's a series on in the UK at the moment about pilots training and converting onto the F-35.

The RAF/Fleet Air Arm pilots in the US doing the conversion absolutely love them.

Just one thing regarding the original Lightning not being deployed operationally abroad ?

How about Gutersloh and Geilenkirchen West Germany in the 60's during the cold war ?

RAF Akrotiri, Cyprus?

RAF Luqa, Malta ?

RAF Tengha, Singapore?

Hopefully that series will air (!) here at some point. 

To clarify - active service on operations (domestically of abroad) is what I meant. Campaign and other medals awarded. Falklands war, Gulf War 1, former Yugoslavia, Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria, etc. 

The EE Lightning is a charismatic aircraft, but it never fired a shot or dropped a bomb in anger in RAF service, unlike the ‘other’ Lightning: the F-35. 

Back to the topic, a Spitfire XIV or Beaufighter would be an excellent addition to Airfix’s stable. 

On 8/27/2019 at 6:53 PM, GMK said:

The EE Lightning is a charismatic aircraft, but it never fired a shot or dropped a bomb in anger in RAF service, unlike the ‘other’ Lightning: the F-35. 

I hate pedantry but I'm afraid the UK F-35's haven't fired a shot in anger or dropped a bomb yet either.

A handful of missions over Afghanistan with Typhoons but no ordnance dropped on any of them.

I don't dislike the F-35 at all, I'm sure it's a great plane but modern flamethrowers are just grey.

I'm sure a kit would be built by some but for a wider appeal colour/schemes and the "wow"factor sell models.

Going back to this topic, it needs to be something that has a wide appeal especially in the US where there's a big market.

I think an F4U Corsair would be a no-brainer.

Edited by PhilB