What will be Airfix's next 1:24?

Menelaos

15 hours ago, scimitarf1 said:

I see there being really two questions

1. When - the Mosquito was announced in 2008, the Typhoon 2013 and the Hellcat 2018. They made public announcements about the sales of the latter two that they have not done for other kits and I understand that margin is higher on the more expensive kits so I would not be surprised if the next one is announced before 2023. Hornby’s results are up due to the pandemic - they are back in profit.

2. Subject. The Hellcat was a bit of a marker. Applicability beyond the UK, no good/recent large scale kit, several markings schemes and not afraid to stray beyond the usual suspects. If I were a betting man my money would be on:

Sea Fury

Sabre

Spit Mk 1

P-51B

Erm.... not wanting to be patronising here, but where did you hear that Hornby are back in profit? Five years ago, the Hornby Group was about £30 million in debt. You would have to sell HUGE numbers of choo-choos, kits and everything else in their catalogue to wipe out that kind of debt. I can well believe that their sales have been boosted by the COVID-19 pandemic, but them being back in profit seems like a very big ask.

Chris. 

Folland Gnat in Red Arrows and Yellowjackets schemes.

deHavilland Vampire. :whistle:

:coolio:

Also, Airfix are re-releasing their original Spitfire, Hurricane and Bf-109 kits in the short term. They are available to pre-order in online stores now.

It would have been splendid to see an early Spitfire given the new tool treatment along the lines of their Typhoon and Hellcat kits. :wub:

Perhaps they could do a Mk22/24 Spit or possibly a Mk47 with folding wings? :hmmm:Now that would be impressive.

I think a likely choice for Airfix regards 1/24 would be to look at their recent 1/48 releases. Presumably they would have the CAD outlines which they can tweak in the light of accuracy comments from modellers (on forums) and have a head start on producing the new CAD tooling drawings etc.

Therefore my list of the most likely is as follows:

Hawker Sea Fury

Supermarine Spitfire XIV low back

Less likely is:

Hawker Hunter F.6

Gloster Meteor F.8

Tiger Moth

Bristol Blenheim F.1

Supermarine Walrus

These 1/48 scale kits have been well received by modellers from around the world so I reckon the next 1/24 release will come from these lists. I would buy both a Sea Fury and Spit 14 in a heartbeat.

TRF

8 hours ago, LSP_Ray said:

You can turn a profit and still be in debt. In fact, if you start turning a profit you can usually get larger loans! With the virus and everyone turning towards there hobbies, I don't doubt Hornby's numbers are looking better.

I take your point, my friend, but surely all of the new money is instantly being swallowed up just servicing that big debt? Although I rarely buy anything made by Airfix these days, I wish them every success. They are too icon a brand to see fail and our hobby would be a much poorer place if they were to consigned to history.  

Chris. 

Edited by Confusionreigns178
Correcting a typo.

On 8/18/2019 at 9:16 PM, Menelaos said:

a bit too early for this but what about a Beaufighter? (I would like to see it as new 1:32 tool as well)

Beau-EEM-at-Strubby.jpg

Nice choice Menelaos. I think that the F-104G Starfighter and this one are long overdue in 1/24 scale:

DSC_1529.jpg?fit=1060%2C671

The F-4 Phantom would be particularly welcome, as there are so many variants to choose from.

Derek

Edited by Derek B

While I am a 1/24 enthusiast, I feel that smaller subjects might be more appropriate than the likes of the Hellcat, Typhoon and Mosquito. I also feel that subjects where there are lots of innards that can be exposed and have wide global appeal should be chosen. One example of such an aircraft is the P-39. It was operated by the US, UK, Russia, Italy, Australia, Portugal, Poland and has a large nose gun bay as well as wing guns, a readily viewable cockpit and the Allison engine behind the cockpit. Plus it's smaller than a Spitfire. I know, I'd buy/build one.