F7F-3 Tigercat - BuNo 80405 - VMF 312 MCAS - El Toro, CA 1946

Out2gtcha

First up, this is a combo of multiple sessions spread out, so there is a bit of a time lapse in between. Its also a bit pic heavy so bear with me.......

I wanted to get the MLG sorted, but really found I couldn't, as I had exhausted all my supply of stainless steel tubing in anything larger than 1mm, so I had to order a whole new supply of tubing. 

So until that arrived, I decided to lay down a nice layer of white primer to bring things together, as I had not messed with the exterior of the model in 2+ years. So I gave the exterior + flying surfaces and cowls a good rub down with wet dry 800 grit sand paper. I then used a combination of foam, Tamiya rice paper tape, regular blue painters tape and some Mr Mask Sol Neo:

20210124_172252-XL.jpg

20210124_172256-XL.jpg

20210124_172313-XL.jpg

After a rub down with 1000, we have the white ghost...............

20210129_201121-XL.jpg

20210129_201117-XL.jpg

I let the primer set and harden off for a few days before sanding, and then went on-call for work, so put the model down for a few days.

Much to my delight, at the end of that time a couple packages that I (and another member of the fam) were eagerly awaiting showed up. On of those packages was an industrially thick cardboard tube with the stainless steel tubing I ordered in it:

20210129_200217-XL.jpg

The other package contained an electric heating pad for my smallest, Ripley Ellen.  She was looking forward to getting it.................I think she definitely approves, she didnt move from the pad for the next 4 or 5 hours..............

20210129_163830-XL.jpg

So we were both VERY happy!

The stainless steel tubing came in separate little clear tubes in 12" lengths, one for the oleos on the MLG, one for the nose gear (and educated guess), and a few others for various possible uses:

20210129_201243-XL.jpg

I guessed at the need for the MLG oleos as approx 0.125" or 3.175mm, and this turned out to be bang on. I took a shot of the tube in one of the pre-cut legs Im going to use but of course it didn't turn out. You can see the tubing for the MLG here, as well as an extra pair of MLG I got from HpH that without mincing words are just plain HORRIBLE, being filled with many air bubbles that went all the way down to the embedded wire in a couple spots. Fortunately, the pair I cut down and lined with brass tube previously still looks pretty decent and shouldn't take much to bring around:

20210129_203332-XL.jpg

This is where all the serious business began! I've kind of been dreading this part, and its stuck a bit in the back of my mind ever since I started the build. The gear really will mean a lot to me as far as getting the model to sit at the right attitude. Im not really there yet, as I have much more of the subsidiary gear parts to add that will define the final angle of the MLG.

But until that exact time, I had a couple things to set, like the wire parts at the top of the gear legs that will eventually be encased in styrene, but for now determines the angle each gear rests at coming off the nacelles.

This is just an initial trial to see where I'm at and to get a couple things settled before sorting the gear in its final position. One of those things is the overall set/height of the model.

The very first thing to do was to cut off the excess of hardened piano wire on the nose gear, and make sure its hidden up inside the lower body. I also needed to cut an appropriately sized piece of 1.50mm stainless tubing. With both of those things done, I used some artists pyramids as an initial starting point to see how things balanced, and see what the front gear may look like.

Well, I know at least ONE thing, she wont be a tail sitter!

20210129_214427-XL.jpg

20210129_214428-XL.jpg

Overall, Im happy with the first progress on this section. Next I used some thin CA on the upper wire sections I pulled out of my second pair of gear. I added a tiny bit length at the top, as I do NOT like the look of the ultra high nose look, and am going for a much more level, if not slightly nose up attitude. 

The nose gear is just setting here held together by gravity, but I like the looks so far. Less oleo showing than some examples Ive seen, but necessary if I want the attitude Im envisioning. I still need to insert some brass tube to make things less sloppy, but you can get the idea:

20210129_232931-XL.jpg

For the purposes of this very first test, I cut down the length of each MLG axle to fit Harolds main wheels, then used some blu tack around it to temporarily make the lower parts of the MLG. Obviously there are no oleos in the mix at this point, but this is more of an idea of height and position.

20210129_225200-XL.jpg

Not too bad actually! Not an unrealistic amount of oleo needed to get where I want. In the end a lot of smoothing will need to happen, and some reinforcing, but I have a plan for that too.

For now, Im glad to have an idea of where I stand. I like the sit!

The wheels and lower gear are literally just sitting there by themselves, but you can get an idea of where I'm heading:

20210129_225257-XL.jpg

20210129_232333-XL.jpg

20210129_232349-XL.jpg

20210129_232357-XL.jpg

20210129_232432-XL.jpg

Well, that's all for tonight gents. I'm heading back down to move forward. My next goal will be to the MLG oleos cut  and measured, then apply the JB weld so that the steel tubing will in part be a reinforcement for the gear to support the overall weight of the model. 

Cheers! 

Thanks gents! I've come to the conclusion that I'm likely going to have to re-scribe a lot of the exterior surface. Bummer, but will have to be done, as a lot of the riveting simply doesnt show up after rounds of primer and sanding.

Not something I'm looking forward to but that seems pretty much par for the course here.

Ah Brian - the gear work.  This reminds me sooo much of the 1/18 P-38 build I did a few years ago. 

bMNIyD7l.jpg

I had to do a very similar series of trial-and-error steps to try to get the fuselage orientation proper (slight nose up).  In the end, I made an error in the position of the main gear supports in the wheel wells, and the tail ended up a little high.  Oleo length for the nose gear varied alot in real life, depending on where the CG was on the airplane which in turn varied alot with how much ammo was stored in the nose.   I exposed as much oleo at the nose as I was comfortable with, and compressed the mains as much as I was comfortable with, and declared victory (or at least a draw).  Very exciting work it was, as I am sure you can relate.  I look forward to seeing the finished gear on the Tigercat- they look VERY complicated!   

Edited by JayW

Thanks all!

Jay,

That was a tremendous effort on the P-38, and yes, seems a very similar situation. It's all about the scratch building and getting changes done to suite the customization of the build.

I did find that hole in the resin lower nose gear section was much more sloppy than I wanted. The hole was not perfect sized to hold the nose gear wire, but more pass through it.

Last night lined it with some tubing that closely fit the nose wire. This will make for a much more snug and play free joint. 

I'm hoping to work more on the MLG tonight as well.

Cheers!