F7F-3 Tigercat - BuNo 80405 - VMF 312 MCAS - El Toro, CA 1946

Out2gtcha

I spent this Sunday in lockdown reading all 60 pages of this incredible Wip even if it is not among my favorite planes, I can only admire your work and your constancy. Now that I have discovered this project, I stay tuned to see the progress. regards

Edited by spartacus2000

Thanks all! Your comments really mean a lot, as motivation is still a key factor in taking this one to fruition. 

I've taken both the MLG bases of the wings and the nacelle interiors about as far as I'm going to. 

To be honest, I think if I take them much further the overall fit may start to suffer and as it sits, the fit of the nacelles currently is pretty decent.

There are also other details left to add like the nacelle roofs, oil tanks and lines, and other small things that will need to wait until after the nacelles are permanently glued in.

Pics later as I still need to upload them to my Smugmug account.

Cheers

Once again, thanks all. The nacelles and upper roof of the nacelles (bottom of the wing effectively) are as complete as I can get them without fully attaching them to the airframe, as the oil tanks and piping and rear roof of the nacelles cannot be added until the nacelle itself is glued down.

Nothing has been glued in yet, as I still need to fully re-scribe and rivet both nacelles before gluing them in:

20210116_235725-XL.jpg

20210116_235604-XL.jpg

Upper nacelle roof/bottom of the wings are about as done as they are getting prior to gluing things down as well:

20210116_235318-XL.jpg

20210116_235322-XL.jpg

20210116_235330-XL.jpg

Nacelles just setting in place atm:

20210116_234942-X2.jpg

20210116_235009-XL.jpg

20210116_235030-XL.jpg

20210116_235051-XL.jpg

20210116_235111-XL.jpg

You will have to excuse all the hairs, I attempted to clear a wash out from the sides of the well interior and the Q-tip/cotton swab, and have not had a chance to clear out the remnants.

Now that things are where they are, its now down to actually gluing down the nacelles. Its a bit of a nervous time, as getting the placement of these is absolutely critical, as their position dictates where the PE upper section of the wings that crosses over into the rear of the nacelles goes, as well as giving the MGL their final positions.

Im hoping to be able to get these re-scribed and glued down tonight.

Cheers! 

Thanks guys!  The gluing up of the nacelles is really critical, so I've GOT to make sure they go on correctly aligned, as I plan on using JB Weld. Having quite a bit of experience with JBW, I can say with confidence, get the parts exactly where you need them before the epoxy dries, as once JBW is dry, there is NO getting it unstuck without severe damage to both parts you were gluing. I always use it where ever the need for critical strength applies. In this case, a large percentage of the models weight is rested on the MLG which in turn are only supported by a block (also glued with JBW) that is glued to the nacelles.  

Cheers! 

Thanks all!!

1 hour ago, monthebiff said:

Epic work Brian, lovely attention to detail indeed! What material did you use for the canvas cover as they look superb.

Thanks Andy!

Really all it is, is a cut piece of Tamiya tape painted with some Tamiya deck tan and weathered a bit.

14 minutes ago, LSP_Ron said:

Looks great Brian,  hate to see what you could do if you put some effort into it!  :lol:

Joking of course.

Thanks Ron!  Haha, Ive been taxed pretty hard with this one. I still get to some points in the build and think about shelving the F7F again............but not going to happen! 

Basically, If I can somehow get through the next major step (MLG!) I should be free from most of the most heinous parts of this build.