Feedback wanted - useful modelmaking tool?

Iain

Hi all - posting as we could do with feedback from modellers out there...

With my day job we work in the old WAAF accommodation at what was RAF Wing in Buckinghamshire, and is now a shared office space for mostly small businesses called Funkbunk.

A while back I walked into the main office, on my way to put the morning coffee on, and spotted a new venture by the people that run Funkbunk - Helmm - a range of space-saving standing desks and laptop stands made from CNC machined, high quality, plywood.

Now, I don't know about you guys, but quite often I find myself looking at things from a modelling perspective and thinking 'that would be brilliant for...' - in this case creating extra space on the workbench as well as bringing the main assemblies up to eye high for detail work.

Having spent many a long weekend on crammed magazine projects to meet deadlines I've suffered the bad back and neck from leaning over the bench. Added to that, as projects have got larger the logistics of each build have become more challenging...

So - I looked at these standing desks and thought 'I've got another use for that!'

What followed were several long conversations with the designer/owner of the venture, Sam Cranwell, on the possibility of marketing these desks to the modelling community (and other detail crafts such as jewellery making) .

The question is - does anyone else think there'd be any interest in the modelling world - and is it worth Sam looking at developing a section of the range tailored for model makers?

More info can be found here - but here are a few images we took the other day showing how it could be useful on a project like the B-17.

I have no stake in this - just sounding out potential market interest for Sam.

1496817950_zpsxvcz5szc.jpg

helmm-modelmaker-b17-01-e1497014773426_z

helmm-modelmaker-b17-02-e1497014829361_z

helmm-model-makers-workbench-b17-04-e149

Any and all feedback/thoughts appreciated!

Iain

It is an interesting idea for sure and there is probably a market for it, but not sure how large.  Work surface area was my first concern, but with the multiple levels, that is really less of an issue.  In the picture with the B-17 I think that top level is too small (once those wings go on that's all she wrote as far as being able to move that bird around) but for anything smaller - like the 90% of stuff we build  - the size is probably ok.

I'd want to attach some sort of apron because as I cut parts or handle small parts, me sitting with a big towel on my lap catches what I drop.  But that is not a design issue for the desk.

In addition to the bins that Jessie suggested (brilliant I'd say!), I'd want that lower tier work surface to be about as large as the top one, and how about a slightly raised edge to keep me from accidentally pushing things off the edge?  :innocent:   

And instead of a book rest up top, how about a monitor platform?  I rarely build anymore without something on the screen that is related to what I am building.  I can blow up pictures to get the detail I want, or different views, or heck, keep up with Sherlock or a game if I want to.   :m0152:

That's all for now.   :piliot:

Seriously, thanks for asking and good luck to your friend on opening up another market.

Chris

Interesting idea, although in fairness, I most certainly would not buy it, as the idea of working standing-up is not my cup-of-tea...

I read here the best idea to save my neck and shoulders when working on details. Rather than bow and stretch them when working on small stuff, lower the seat to bring your head closer to the working area. Not my natural inclination, as I tend to sit rather high reletive to the table, but it actually works wonders ...

Hubert

Edited by MostlyRacers

Good idea, but it looks like a compact PC workstation desk. Not flaming you, but it is what it is.  GBP 235 = ZAR 3300 +/- add VAT shipping and duties, you wont sell one in RSA. Just too expensive.

Edited by Gerhard

I'm always bothered by things that are larger on top than the bottom with no apparent way to anchor them or keep them steady. All I see when I look at the pic is an expensive kit potentially tumbling over unto the ground.

Is there anything about it's construction that eliminates horizontal movement?

My benches are bar height so I can work standing up or sitting at my old drafting high stool.  Something like this wouldn't work for me because I also like a large work surface were I can lay things out.

It's great solution for someone with space limitations though, like apartment living or small work shed.

Cheers

Ron