SharkOwl

1/32 Kittyhawk F-84F Thunderstreak & RF-84F Thunderflash !

Guest DannyVM
On 7/23/2019 at 8:54 PM, thierry laurent said:

No, this is a Thunderrage or should it be a Mirastreak? 

Thundermirage to be exactly Thierry.

This comes from the Belgian Wings site

"Numerous F-84F were used as decoys at most of Belgium’s operational air bases and some of them were even modified to look like Mirage fighters which were identified by the personnel as “Thundermirages”. On the ground these modifications looked horrible but from the air it was very difficult to see the difference with a real Mirage

10 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

Wikipedia says the Rwandan Air Force flew 6 RF-84Fs from 1973-1990. I have *never* heard of that before. Google has no photos. I’m calling BS on it until I see some proof.

It is curious, but doesn't say "flew" but merely lists Rwanda as a former "operator" (owner). 

Somebody who likes chunky cigars and arms dealing might have sold six "previously owned, not many scratches" crated jets to Rwanda. 

Some might have been assembled and even run up engines a bit, though I seriously doubt — given the warm African air — that Rwanda had a runway even remotely long enough to permit take off. The Streak (I don't think they were sold Flashes) required a lot of runway.

Very curious story, which is worth a giggle. 

Tony

On 7/22/2019 at 9:01 PM, quang said:

I built this Kitty Hawk F9F-8 on the heels of my RF-101C. It took me one month to finish it.

It's the same model that made a noted Internet reviewer throw a tantrum and bin the kit 15 minutes after he opened the box. 

I'd say bring on the accountants who run model kit companies :beer4:

11-A96958-3-B3-D-43-AB-BF8-C-E906-D0263-

Lovely model and finish

@crobinsonh thank you for your kind words. 

I always found that Kitty Hawk has been unjustly treated in certain quarters of the internet. KH bashing has even become a current trend in some forums.

Despite the glitches, KH kits offer a great potential for super-detailing and conversion. 

Let the moaners moan and the modellers model.:)

I agree, I think KHM has been unfairly treated in a lot of ways. Yes, some of their kits are bad. Some are actually great, and some are great with some minor "oddities" or strange engineering choices, but I think most anyone who has the right attitude and some average modeling skills going in, can make a winner out of a lot of KHMs recent releases.

I feel like they ask a premium price for what’s most often a mediocre (at best) product.  They keep making the same kind of silly, basic, very avoidable mistakes over and over, and never seem to either learn from them, or to simply ask for outside help to prevent them in the first place.  Other manufacturers do that (all of the above), but KH just seems stuck in the same Groundhog Day loop.  No manufacturer is perfect, but KH and Trumpeter seem to be two that have the biggest problem with hot, then cold, then hot, then cold again.  Their recent 1/48 RF-101 is a complete mess.  Wrong intakes (and not really fixable without basically scratch building them), wrong nose (again, not fixable without scratch building a new one), etc, etc.  All completely avoidable with some very, very basic research.

To each their own.  It’s unlikely I’ll buy any more of their kits.  I’ve been bitten too many times, and there are too many other manufacturers out there who are putting out fantastic products that don’t require me to completely rebuild them in order to get an accurate replica.  If I were going to live to be 150 it might be a different story, but I’m done with stuff that makes me pull my hair out and beat my head against the wall.  

As you said, each to their own, as comparatively speaking, I dont regard their kits as going for a premium price, nor have I pulled my hair out building any of their kits.

That's not to say it wasnt extra work in some places, but the KHM I've built have been far, FAR from "bin-em" material, and I far from leaving me feeling like I'd not build anything by KHM ever again. 

6 hours ago, quang said:

@crobinsonh thank you for your kind words. 

I always found that Kitty Hawk has been unjustly treated in certain quarters of the internet. KH bashing has even become a current trend in some forums.

Despite the glitches, KH kits offer a great potential for super-detailing and conversion. 

Let the moaners moan and the modellers model.:)

Some call it bashing, others call it a realistic evaluation.   You want to write off major misses (many of which are very difficult to fix) as “glitches”, go for it.    As far as these evaluations being “unjust”,  go find those unjust issues and post here.   If the issues flagged by the bashers are actually erroneous, we can talk. 

Posted (edited)

@Jennings Heilig Looks like you’re caught in the Groundhog Day loop yourself repeating ad infinitum like a mantra “RF-101, complete mess, premium price,...”

The KH Voodoo suffers from 2 main issues One major: the intakes (a detail not really clarified until recently, as I discovered while trying to correct it) and one minor: a rectangular instead of an oval vent on the mid-fuselage.  The allegedly ‘wrong nose’ does actually capture rather faithfully the subtle shape of the original.

As for the premium price, the KH RF-101 at 48 euro costs 1 euro more than the GWH T-33 (which is half the Voodoo’s size) and 7 euro less than the Tan Model RF-84F. So where’s the premium in it?

@John1 check out my WIP of the KH RF-101 HERE.

You’ll find that the issues are not as catastrophic as it’s been said and that they can be corrected with a modicum of modelling skills.

Cheers,

Quang

Edited by quang

Quang - not worth arguing about this.   I will say you did a great job on that Voodoo.   Outstanding paintwork!  

WHAT ARE YOU ALL DOING??????

This was supposed to be a 1/32 thread about the upcoming Thunderstreak and Flash.................

Can we please get back to the subject at hand or otherwise knock it off, i'm really getting fed up with this , and oh yeah i know i'll get some of you all over my comments, like : "if you don't like it the way it's going, then don't read it or comment on it" and more BS like that..........

J.