Jump to content
SharkOwl

1/32 Kittyhawk F-84F Thunderstreak & RF-84F Thunderflash !

Recommended Posts

Hi Barry, i think it's because we want the subjects. T-28, Bronco, ect,ect. Your right, of cource, but no one else is producing them. Better a flawed kit than none at all, Maybe ?  I,m sticking with hasegawa for the F-5.

Edited by firefly7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, firefly7 said:

Hi Barry, i think it's because we want the subjects. T-28, Bronco, ect,ect. Your right, of cource, but no one else is producing them. Better a flawed kit than none at all, Maybe ?  I,m sticking with hasegawa for the F-5.

 

But if we keep excusing shoddy kits then they will keep producing shoddy products.  

 

No review I read of the Bronco exposed just how bad it is so I feel ‘mis-sold’ a third rate product. 

Edited by BarryWilliams

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, BarryWilliams said:

 

But if we keep excusing shoddy kits then they will keep producing shoddy products.  

 

No review I read of the Bronco exposed just how bad it is so I feel ‘mis-sold’ a third rate product. 

 

 

When next I build a KHM OV-10, it will be my 3rd.

 

Im not excusing odd engineering and flubs like missing a wing spar, a crap load of ejector marks in the worst places and OOB gear that cant support the model, but its a fun build to me, and I cant wait to build my 3rd, as I will actually get to keep that one myself. 

 

Its all in the eye of the particular modeler, as IMHO the kit is far far from perfect , but just as far removed from shoddy and 3rd rate. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

 

 

When next I build a KHM OV-10, it will be my 3rd.

 

Im not excusing odd engineering and flubs like missing a wing spar, a crap load of ejector marks in the worst places and OOB gear that cant support the model, but its a fun build to me, and I cant wait to build my 3rd, as I will actually get to keep that one myself. 

 

Its all in the eye of the particular modeler, as IMHO the kit is far far from perfect , but just as far removed from shoddy and 3rd rate. 

We all have different tastes and get different things from a kit.   Me, I build for relaxation and fun and that Bronco has no fun in it at all.  All

kits have their issues, but most also have redeeming features that balance things out. I did not find that with the Bronco.  

 

Based on the Bronco I would characterise KH as a company run by an accountant whose spreadsheet told him that the development budget had run out and ordered the kit into production regardless that it was unfinished.    That is how the kit felt to me, rushed into production before it was ready. That is why I stand by my description of it as shoddy. 

 

Mind you you I had just finished the Tammy 1/32 Mossie, sheer pleasure from start to finish so that Bronco was a real contrast. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BarryWilliams said:

Mind you you I had just finished the Tammy 1/32 Mossie, sheer pleasure from start to finish so that Bronco was a real contrast. 

 

 

Most any kit looks 2nd best next to a Tamiya Mossie or F4U! 

 

I guess my only real point was its not as bad as has been made out if you take your time and know what you are in for, as some of the fixes are not really hard. I am kind of biased as I really love the OV-10 airframe. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, BarryWilliams said:

 

Based on the Bronco I would characterise KH as a company run by an accountant whose spreadsheet told him that the development budget had run out and ordered the kit into production regardless that it was unfinished.    That is how the kit felt to me, rushed into production before it was ready. That is why I stand by my description of it as shoddy. 

 

I built this Kitty Hawk F9F-8 on the heels of my RF-101C. It took me one month to finish it.

It's the same model that made a noted Internet reviewer throw a tantrum and bin the kit 15 minutes after he opened the box. 

I'd say bring on the accountants who run model kit companies :beer4:

 

11-A96958-3-B3-D-43-AB-BF8-C-E906-D0263-

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BarryWilliams said:

 

But if we keep excusing shoddy kits then they will keep producing shoddy products.  

 

No review I read of the Bronco exposed just how bad it is so I feel ‘mis-sold’ a third rate product. 

The "good" reviews may be because the reviewers were given the kit by Kitty Hawk or their distributor (Don't bite the hand that feeds you), whereas any reviews done where the reviewer actually put up his/her hard-earned money, will be a fair and impartial review. 

Just my 2¢.

 

Seeing the comments on KH's 1/32 OV-10 Bronco & F-5E Tiger II worry me, because I have both the RF-5E Tigereye and OV-10C Bronco in my stash. The inadequate landing gear on the Bronco really worry me, since there is no chance of G-Factor ever doing replacement brass landing gear for it. Maybe I need to make a stand for it, to build it inflight?

 

Larry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK - I haven't built it yet - but I liked the OV-10A when I reviewed it for LSP - https://www.largescaleplanes.com/reviews/review.php?rid=1585

 

And I paid for it with my own hard-earned...  :rolleyes:

 

Metal gear - take a look at the Aerocraft set.

 

Bronco+set.jpg

 

Review on Hyperscale: http://www.hyperscale.com/2018/reviews/accessories/aerocraftov10undercarriagepreviewbg_1.htm

 

Lots of large scale aircraft kits have undercarriage that could do with strengthening/replacement...

 

Iain

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Iain (32SIG) said:

OK - I haven't built it yet - but I liked the OV-10A when I reviewed it for LSP - https://www.largescaleplanes.com/reviews/review.php?rid=1585

 

And I paid for it with my own hard-earned...  :rolleyes:

 

Metal gear - take a look at the Aerocraft set.

 

Bronco+set.jpg

 

Review on Hyperscale: http://www.hyperscale.com/2018/reviews/accessories/aerocraftov10undercarriagepreviewbg_1.htm

 

Lots of large scale aircraft kits have undercarriage that could do with strengthening/replacement...

 

Iain

 

 

 

Nice looking brass! Much better than soft white-metal, for such a large & heavy kit.

I'll have to save up for that.

Larry

Edited by ReccePhreak
More info

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Iain (32SIG) said:

And this has reminded me I need to order a set!  :)

 

Iain

I just ordered my set. Of course, that pretty much emptied my current month's modelling "budget", so my Hannants order will have to wait until next month. :(

 

Larry

Edited by ReccePhreak
Correction

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's very good quality brass Larry - I have the B-24 sets that Ali has done - very strong/great quality!

 

Iain

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...