1/32 Kittyhawk F-84F Thunderstreak & RF-84F Thunderflash !

SharkOwl

3 minutes ago, BarryWilliams said:

Mind you you I had just finished the Tammy 1/32 Mossie, sheer pleasure from start to finish so that Bronco was a real contrast. 

Most any kit looks 2nd best next to a Tamiya Mossie or F4U! 

I guess my only real point was its not as bad as has been made out if you take your time and know what you are in for, as some of the fixes are not really hard. I am kind of biased as I really love the OV-10 airframe. 

47 minutes ago, BarryWilliams said:

Based on the Bronco I would characterise KH as a company run by an accountant whose spreadsheet told him that the development budget had run out and ordered the kit into production regardless that it was unfinished.    That is how the kit felt to me, rushed into production before it was ready. That is why I stand by my description of it as shoddy. 

I built this Kitty Hawk F9F-8 on the heels of my RF-101C. It took me one month to finish it.

It's the same model that made a noted Internet reviewer throw a tantrum and bin the kit 15 minutes after he opened the box. 

I'd say bring on the accountants who run model kit companies :beer4:

11-A96958-3-B3-D-43-AB-BF8-C-E906-D0263-

2 hours ago, BarryWilliams said:

But if we keep excusing shoddy kits then they will keep producing shoddy products.  

No review I read of the Bronco exposed just how bad it is so I feel ‘mis-sold’ a third rate product. 

The "good" reviews may be because the reviewers were given the kit by Kitty Hawk or their distributor (Don't bite the hand that feeds you), whereas any reviews done where the reviewer actually put up his/her hard-earned money, will be a fair and impartial review. 

Just my 2¢.

Seeing the comments on KH's 1/32 OV-10 Bronco & F-5E Tiger II worry me, because I have both the RF-5E Tigereye and OV-10C Bronco in my stash. The inadequate landing gear on the Bronco really worry me, since there is no chance of G-Factor ever doing replacement brass landing gear for it. Maybe I need to make a stand for it, to build it inflight?

Larry

OK - I haven't built it yet - but I liked the OV-10A when I reviewed it for LSP - https://www.largescaleplanes.com/reviews/review.php?rid=1585

And I paid for it with my own hard-earned...  :rolleyes:

Metal gear - take a look at the Aerocraft set.

Bronco+set.jpg

Review on Hyperscale: http://www.hyperscale.com/2018/reviews/accessories/aerocraftov10undercarriagepreviewbg_1.htm

Lots of large scale aircraft kits have undercarriage that could do with strengthening/replacement...

Iain

26 minutes ago, Iain (32SIG) said:

OK - I haven't built it yet - but I liked the OV-10A when I reviewed it for LSP - https://www.largescaleplanes.com/reviews/review.php?rid=1585

And I paid for it with my own hard-earned...  :rolleyes:

Metal gear - take a look at the Aerocraft set.

Bronco+set.jpg

Review on Hyperscale: http://www.hyperscale.com/2018/reviews/accessories/aerocraftov10undercarriagepreviewbg_1.htm

Lots of large scale aircraft kits have undercarriage that could do with strengthening/replacement...

Iain

Nice looking brass! Much better than soft white-metal, for such a large & heavy kit.

I'll have to save up for that.

Larry

Edited by ReccePhreak
More info

17 minutes ago, Iain (32SIG) said:

And this has reminded me I need to order a set!  :)

Iain

I just ordered my set. Of course, that pretty much emptied my current month's modelling "budget", so my Hannants order will have to wait until next month. :(

Larry

Edited by ReccePhreak
Correction

Just now, Iain (32SIG) said:

It's very good quality brass Larry - I have the B-24 sets that Ali has done - very strong/great quality!

Iain

Thanks for that info Iain. Looking forward to doing my Bronco in Royal Thai Air Force markings (One of my three modelling "themes")

Larry

On 7/22/2019 at 7:37 PM, BarryWilliams said:

Why, I wonder,  do so many people make excuse for them.  They don’t deserve it. 

It's their privilige (as well as mine btw) as much as it is your privilige to consider it NOT a shake and bake Tamiya-like kit..........some actual building, adjusting and modelling is required to build most kits.............