Beaufighter 252 Squadron 1942

Bill_S

The majority of the fuselage riveting is complete. I've found that Tamiya white putty doesn't work as well as I'd like for filling mistakes - I've resorted to using Mr. Surfacer 1500 Black applied with a micro brush. The results are much better, but it's difficult to tell filled rivets from real rivets highlighted with a black wash.

DSCN14041_zpsbpfwuyj6.jpg

Probably the most difficult area to scribe is the nose. In this case, I'm glad I waited to scribe until the fuselage was assembled. I used a zip tie as a scribing guide...

DSCN14031_zpsugrn6ogz.jpg

It took a bit of patience to hold it in the right place; once the upper surface was done, I rotated the tie to scribe the lower surface. Now to finish the nose, then rivet the wings. I hope to shoot a coat of primer this weekend. Thanks for looking!

Bill, I had fits on scribing the nose on my academy hornet (which, admittedly, isn't as complicated a curve as the Beaufighter) - until I tried the new Tamiya white tape (see http://www.bnamodelworld.com/tamiya-models-tm-87179-masking-tape-for-curves-width-5mm).It conforms very well to the curve and it's relatively easy to get it in a straight line. Once you've done that, some light pressure on a micro-saw type scribing tool will do the trick without moving the tape.

Great work on the scribing too!

Cheers

Jim

Bad news. I snapped off the tail wheel. I wish manufacturers would make the wheel and strut separate from the internal mount. It would be easier to handle, mask and paint without that small wheel in the way.

I finished the riveting - finally!

And now for a coat of primer.

DSCN1408%5B1%5D.jpg

DSCN1410%5B1%5D.jpg

DSCN1412%5B1%5D.jpg

A highly thinned coat of Mr. Surfacer 1500 black. Most of the rivet detail is now very hard to see. Hopefully they'll show up again after paint and a wash.  Parafilm M was the perfect masking material for that dorsal bubble.

Now to buff it out and fill some mistakes, then on to masking and paint. Thanks for looking!

Edited by Bill_S

Just caught up with your build Bill, your patience with scribing and riveting is much to be admired and I'm sure the end result will make it all worthwhile.  I know I'd do it as you've done, once the plane is assembled rather than bit by bit, but it's what ever works for you I guess.  Looking forward to the paint stage!

Max