Beaufighter 252 Squadron 1942

Bill_S

I've been without internet for nearly a week. Picture posting is an ordeal. Camera to PC, PC to phone, phone to Photobucket. Now I'm using the phone as a mobile hotpot so I can post from Photobucket to LSP via my laptop. 

My progress: I trimmed down the boxed in areas on the LG doors, and they fit.

DSCN1451%5B1%5D.jpg

Still some internal detail I need to add. With any luck, the neighbors will have power and my internet will be back up by then.

The props on this bird are too wide. How much to thin them? I chose twenty percent. But how to get all six blades to look the same? I set up a coordinate system on one blade and took some measurements. I did a little spreadsheet number crunching, taking 20% of the left of center, and 20% off the right of center. Before anyone asks, this method will NOT reduce the chord of the prop by 40%. This is what I got...

DSCN1446%5B1%5D.jpg

After some careful sanding, this is the finished product:

DSCN1448%5B1%5D.jpg

Right now, both props are done; I'm pleased with the results. The leading and trailing edges have been rounded and feathered.  I'll post more when I get my internet back up!

Edited by Bill_S

Nice work Bill ( just like everything so far)

FYI, the link of the LG doors mods did not work in your last post.

If you have a smartphone that takes good pics, there is a PB app, that allows you to upload directly the pics of the phone to PB. Plus you get extra space on PB when you install their phone app, and it seems faster than the computer-based uploading.

Hubert

Edited by MostlyRacers

Hubert, my problem isn't uploading files to PB from my phone; the LSP comment box doesn't show any of the formatting or linking options. That picture shows fine on my laptop...

Edited to correct autocorrects.

Edited by Bill_S

I set up a coordinate system on one blade and took some measurements. I did a little spreadsheet number crunching, taking 20% of the left of center, and 20% off the right of center. Before anyone asks, this method will NOT reduce the chord of the prop by 40%.

Cut it out Bill, you're makin' my head hurt   :huh:

Very nice method Bill, I did it by eye and it looking closely there is some variation in the blades on my example. Also I used Jerry Rutman propbosses as they looked very nice and no spinners were used on the aircraft I modelled.

Thanks, Cees. I would never have thought to thin the props until you mentioned it. I don't trust my skills to do it repeatedly without having some kind of method!

Lots of cutting, fitting, sanding... got the last pieces glued on the gear doors.

DSCN1456%5B1%5D.jpg

Not totally accurate, but it's close enough for me. Still some trimming to do, then final sanding before heading to paint.

Next up is the cowl rings. They're part of the exhaust system, and copper is not the right color. In actuality, they were darkened by heat, with an anti-reflective coating applied. The coating would flake off in places due to heat.

Initially, I sprayed the with Burnt metal from MM's metalizers (I like the suff), followed by some salt, then a layer of Mr. Surfacer black. When it was done, there was little or no contrast between the black and burnt metal. They got stripped, and I went with titanium instead of the burnt metal.

DSCN1457%5B1%5D.jpg

Rather than table salt, I went with Kosher salt. I think it's more representative of flaking.

DSCN1460%5B1%5D.jpg

Edited by Bill_S