Beaufighter 252 Squadron 1942

Bill_S

Second wing top is done!

DSCN1387%5B1%5D.jpg

Now the fun begins... My drawings show a nice join at the fuselage to the wing fillet (similar to that of the Rex).  I've had this stuff for years - I think it predates computer graphics.

DSCN1389_1.jpg

Not as thick and sturdy as Dymo tape, but it comes in much smaller widths.

The nice thing is that it's relatively easy to apply to a curve.

DSCN1388%5B1%5D.jpg

At the trailing end, I scribed a small 2mm radius, and I'm ready to cut plastic.  A word of warning - numerous very light passes are required with this tape.

DSCN1390%5B1%5D.jpg

You can see where the scriber has tried to cut into the tape.

Edited by Bill_S

Bill, any reason why you don't scribe before most of the model is assembled? I'd figure it was easier that way, but curious, why you don't.

Looks great!

Lately it seems that I've seen a number of builds where the scribing was done as you suggest, Shaka. It set me to wondering myself.  Here's my reasoning:

1. I have some psychological need to see progress, so I assemble first.

2. If I scribe parts separately, I can never seem to get lines to meet where they cross a seam.

3. My bench top gets cluttered too easily to have room to scribe.

4. It's easier for me to match a dimension from one side to another.

5. I find that I get much better control if I'm right over the top of the model when I scribe.

What I've done is mount a turntable to the top of a small stand; my jig sits atop that. It goes pretty much between my knees while working, and the model is about waist high.

DSCN1391%5B1%5D.jpg

All the tools I need are right on the jig, my drawings and calculator are on the bench.

Edited by Bill_S

Cees, it would probably take me a couple of cases of beer and about a week before I got a template that worked! 

I transferred dimensions from the first side...

DSCN1393_1.jpg

I put Dymo tape tangent to the observer's station opening and coincident with one of the corners of a pane on the canopy. It doesn't really matter if the Dymo line is perfectly horizontal, as long as you have the same two reference points on each side. I scratched lines in the dymo every 1/2 inch and measured down.

The result:

DSCN1394_1.jpg

Edited by Bill_S