Italeri RAAF Mirage IIIO. FINISHED

ericg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So with The Super Hornet finally finished, it was back to work on the Mirage.

The poor fit of the nose is a well known issue with the kit. It is a little too large and requires some work to fix it.

First up, I glued the pitot tube onto the tip of the nose cone and then cut it off and blended the remaining part. I drew a circle onto some paper that was the approx size of the base of the nose cone and trued it up to be a proper circle.

IMG_4617_zpszjlufxfe.jpg

I then shimmed the mating area of the front of the fuselage and sanded it flat.

IMG_4614_zpsh0zgpbln.jpg

After adding some nose weight I glued the parts together. As can be seen, the fuselage area where the parts meet will have to be blended. At least the nose cone is a true circle

IMG_4618_zpsednmp77e.jpg

The nav lights were then glued into place using superglue

IMG_4619_zpsh0ebnton.jpg

And then sanded flush with the wing before being buffed.

IMG_4625_zps5w4xriur.jpg

I wanted to have the two small doors under the fuselage open. These had a small handle that was pulled down for the pilot before flight, which I think were to alert the pilot as to whether the windscreen washing fluid had been topped up and the catering stores replenished.

IMG_4621_zpszqennnpr.jpg

IMG_4622_zpskabwpswj.jpg

Once the panel was scribed with a pin, I then opened it up by chain drilling it and then filing it to shape. I have mocked up one of the handles with some brass tube. I will make up the small doors later on.

IMG_4623_zpsiyoz9gjo.jpg