1/18 Spitfire Mk. XIVe - Race #80

airscale

There should be a separate show for this amazing piece of work.

Let's call it Airscale Fest.

We can come in fancy dress.  :beer4:

I'm in!  I can dust off my old tux (haven't worn it since the nuptials 7+ years back now), and we can smoke cigars, and sip sherry with our little fingers held out.  And I assume Peter will be there, buzzing around the room, making zoom-zoom airplane noises to really set the mood!  :D

evening folks :)

thank you so much for all your kindness and inspiring words, it really helps keep me focused knowing I need to perform my best with you guys tagging along:

When is the manufacture of the elevators on the agenda?

Hi Cees - well, I have been kind of putting them off as the solartex covering is not the easiest thing to do, so probably last - I am sure I will get into it and in fact I pulled out the kit ones to see if I could use them and they are great in shape but wierdly bigger in span than all the plans I have so maybe on a Seafire FR47 they were bigger...?

Something worries me, when this construction finishes? What will all your fans do?  :hmmm:

ha! thanks, not sure about fans, but I will move onto something else, not sure what yet, but it needs to be prop, metal skinned, NMF and probably stay with 1/18 scale so suggestions welcome :)

with my bit of painting on the cockpit canopy not being a disatster, I started thinking about painting some of the markings on the airframe. I am getting artwork done for numbers / logos etc, but the cheatlines I need to paint..

..I took a profile pic of Race#80 and overlaid it on the Cooke plans to make sure the stripe is level with the datum and to get a sense of proportion..

..I also marked key 'waypoints' on the drawing so I can find my bearings on the model..

WIP1487_zpsomvcnf18.jpg

..then I scaled the photo to the model which will be rally helpful when it comes to sizing the artwork for the logos etc - it also allowed me to mark out what goes where..

WIP1488_zpsgdphlzju.jpg

..I thought I would start with the central red lightning flash, so I set this out in tape so I could align the masking around it..

WIP1489_zpsiw9lsgwm.jpg

..after a fair amount of time and also using scaled guides for the rounded areas at the nose, I had the model ready to paint...

WIP1490_zps5f1c0afc.jpg

..same process as with the canopy, etch primer follwed by humbrol enamel..

..I am quite pleased with how it turned out, and it is odd seeing colour on the airframe...

WIP1492_zpseizopwau.jpg

WIP1491_zpstvcq6wxz.jpg

WIP1493_zps7h4yrbkc.jpg

..then it was onto the pinstripe in blue - this had me worried as it's not an easy thing to get equal and parallel spacing - the best I could do was to create a cutter that was 2 blades stuck together to cut lots of fine strips of tamiya tape and lay them down from the red line outwards, then I get the spacing equal and can remove one of the strips where the actual line will be..

WIP1494_zpsqiyyrks1.jpg

..it gets pretty complicated at the tail around the race number as there are blanks and two lines merge into one - again a scale printout helped work out whats going on..

WIP1496_zpsrvl4xfkk.jpg

..and after pretty much a day, one side is masked & ready to go - just need to repeat it for the other so thats it for today as I am all taped out...

TTFN
Peter

ha! thanks, not sure about fans, but I will move onto something else, not sure what yet, but it needs to be prop, metal skinned, NMF and probably stay with 1/18 scale so suggestions welcome  :)

Wait, no bloody way! You won't finish the Tigercat? You can't do that to me, and I'm not even a proper prop guy...

By the way, veeery nice painting!

Cheers

Rainer

Super smooth painting skills! That red cheatline came out beautifully and makes the airframe come alive! All that silver and red reminds me of my old TD248!

Next project in 1/18th? Prop....NMF?

Why can I visualise Kidd Hofer's P-51B??  :hmmm:  :thumbsup:

Awesome work as ever! Count me in as a confirmed fan boy!

Best regards;

Steve