1/18 Spitfire Mk. XIVe - Race #80

airscale

There Comes A Time when civility has no place in the arena. Hence, it is with great reticence that I make this reply, knowing forthwith that firstly, I might be looked upon as uncouth, and secondly, that this posting will be immediately chastised and removed.

Nevertheless I reply...HOOOLEEE ****!!!

There...I said it. Shoot me. :)

Edited by Ironwing

What a mean lookin Spitfire.     At the moment I only feel envy..not for what you've created here,but for the skills and innate talent necessary to create it..  

Bravo Peter.

:bow:  :bow:  :bow:  :bow:  :bow:  :clap2:  :clap2:  :clap2:  :clap2:  :clap2:

Edited by williamj

evening chaps & thank you :)

todays little challenge is the carburettor intake under the nose - a lot like this one...

WIP630_zpsiut6smd9.jpg

first step was to take theoriginal drawings and try to scale them so they all work together to give a three dimensional template - it took a while to try and understand where some of the sections sit as they are not numbered and exactly where they might intersect another section..

..I also enhanced some of the lines on the drawing so I can navigate around the sections..

WIP631_zpsjrqv4fn3.jpg

..after transferring them to card I cut them out and scored the section lines for reference when assembling..  the middle top part is the side profile from which everything else would hang from..

WIP632_zpsjzsgribo.jpg

..chopped the bits around, assembled them and marked the edges to sand filler down to...

WIP633_zps0bdjhbvo.jpg

..covered it in P38 filler and shaped it down to the profiles..

WIP634_zps2kd2nnsc.jpg

..that took care of the carb fairing, but not where it fairs into the fuselage... for that I used sandpaper on the fuselage itself to work a nice tight fit...

WIP635_zpsefq9q4ye.jpg

..then mounted it on a masking tape barrier and filled the gaps to fair it into the fuselage... also masked the fairing as it was already shaped...

WIP636_zpshi6zgfk7.jpg

..used a ball cutter in a dremel on a low speed to get some of the convex shapes..

WIP637_zpssxuuvs03.jpg

..and the part starts to take shape.. I will cast one in resin and hollow out the inside...

WIP638_zpsurxyu6o9.jpg

WIP639_zpsjlcv93si.jpg

..it's a really complex set of curves so still more to do..

thats all for now

TTFN
Peter