Tamiya DH Mosquito FB VI- Stickers! Err, decals.

BloorwestSiR

Once dry, the flaps were assembled and attached to the nacelles. They go on from the top and then are held in by the upper nacelle cover.

IMG_20150822_231439.jpg

IMG_20150826_224744.jpg

The hinges were painted and given a wash before installing as it was easier to do so this way.

IMG_20150826_230946.jpg

Finaly I added the remaining coolant pipes to the top of the engines so they're all done.

IMG_20150830_111217.jpg

IMG_20150830_111227.jpg

As previously stated, these have to be the most detailed engines I've worked on.

• 4 months later...

Hi Andy,

The build is kind of stalled still sadly. It's sitting next to the remnants of the HK Mossie. I really need to get back to it but I've been a bit burned out after what happened to the HK one. Hopefully after I finish the Spitfire I'll feel more up to getting it done.

As for the Tamiya MLG, it's been much easier to work on. Being able to leave most of it off prior to final assembly helps a lot. One of the issues I didn't like on the HK gear legs is that they pivot along some of the joints. This means you really need to align them carefully as well as creating multiple spots for weakness.

Carl

• 7 months later...

Well, like the updated subject line says this kit is back onto centre stage. I can't believe it's been almost a full year of it just sitting there off to the side of my workbench.

This is where I left off:

IMG_20160811_161611.jpg

IMG_20160811_161642.jpg

IMG_20160811_161648.jpg

I finally realised one of the things that was holding me back. I really hated the way the kit's seatbelts came out. They just didn't look up to the standard of what I had achieved on the rest of the kit. Looking at them just made me not want to work on the kit. Plus the workstand it was on somehow broke which made it look even more sad.

IMG_20160811_161621.jpg

Thanks to some gentle prodding from Harv to start work on it again, I used some tweezers and yanked the belts out. Carefully. It was at this point that I found a new set of belts in the stash and got to work.

IMG_20160908_160954.jpg

IMG_20160908_222536.jpg

I think it's a huge improvement over what was there. I then started working on the roll cage(?)/canopy support.

IMG_20160908_234437.jpg

So finally some progress after a year of being on the sidelines.

Carl

Lies...nothing you build stalls for over year!

Someone must've hacked into Carl's account!

LOL!!! My original plan was to start back on this kit:

IMG_20160828_154812.jpg

It's the Tamiya F-15E which I started in....

....1994!

Yup, 22 years in a box. I got as far as putting the wings on when Harv convinced me to work on the Mossie instead. Hopefully it won't be 22 more years before it comes out again :)

Carl

A bit more progress on the Mossie. The internal canopy framing is finished now.

IMG_20160909_232442.jpg

I then masked and test fitted the canopy. I'm using the mask set from Maketar for this. Upon test fitting the canopy, I noticed that it's secure enough that I may not glue it in place. That way, it'll be easier to see the cockpit details.

IMG_20160909_232457.jpg

I then painted all the engine cowls, nose, MG gun cover and the lower cannon insert Medium Sea Grey.

IMG_20160910_224747.jpg

IMG_20160910_224259.jpg

This will simplify masking off these delicate areas later.

More to come.

Carl

Guest Peterpools

Carl

Great to see your Mossie underway again and she looks great. Terrific re-work on the seatbelts and the cockpit framing. I sure wish I could follow your lead but since mine Mssie is contest bound and for a Box Stock category, I have to use the kit PE set.

Keep 'em coming

Peter :popcorn: