Tamiya DH Mosquito FB VI- Stickers! Err, decals.

BloorwestSiR

Once I did get a chance to spend time at the workbench, I managed to make a bit of progress.I continued to work on the nose guns and attached the feed chutes to them and then to the gunbay.

IMG_20150810_222835.jpg

Out of focus but I didn't notice until after.

IMG_20150810_222824.jpg

With all four guns mounted. The barrels look crooked for some reason.

IMG_20150810_223211.jpg

With the nose cone and cover in place.

IMG_20150810_224223.jpg

IMG_20150810_224234.jpg

IMG_20150810_224243.jpg

I then worked on the wing a bit. I added the ventral bay fuel tanks. They were painted using the colour mix recommended by Tamiya. I then applied the decals onto them. I broke probably the most important rule and didn't use a gloss coat underneath them but they went on fine.

IMG_20150809_221413.jpg

I then added the ailerons and wing tips. Both were very straightforward.

IMG_20150810_225716.jpg

IMG_20150810_225724.jpg

There are a couple of inserts that you glue to the wing where the engines go. These fill in the leading edge gaps. The instructions tell you to paint one side (facing the engines) silver but don't mention the backside on parts A5 and B2. You will see the backside in the radiator wells so it's easiest to paint them the underside colour before installing them.

IMG_20150810_230614.jpg

With a coat of Medium Sea Grey:

IMG_20150810_231351.jpg

I then attached the coolant tanks to the spinner bulkhead (for want of a better term).

IMG_20150810_232258.jpg

This was then attached to the gear housing on the front of the engine and the framing.

IMG_20150810_232402.jpg

Lastly, the return line was attached to the coolant tank and pump.

IMG_20150810_234615.jpg

These are probably the best finished engines I've built. I'm really pleased with the way they're turning out.

Carl

Hi Carl,this is a fantastic WIP! You're doing a great job on the mossie, and I'm looking forward to seeing the finished model, thanks for taking the time to put your work up here. All I have to do now is figure out how I'm going to afford to buy one but I'm hitting the big 50 in January, so we'll see if dropping hints to friends and family achieves anything :rolleyes: ! I'm already making a wish list of A.M for it, love those master barrels and aerobonus rockets, shame there's not a coastal command option on the kits decal sheet but I'm sure they'll be available, if they're not already.

Now I'm getting inspired to finally finish my Airfix 1/24th kit which has been lying neglected in the basement at work for about 3 years so thanks for that as well.

Thanks everyone! It really is a superlative kit. Trying to do the kit justice has pushed me a bit in terms of what I'm willing to try especially with the painting.

Dave, Aviaeology has a set of Coastal Command decals out along with a fantastic stencil set. If you think they're suitable, I'd recommend grabbing them as their decasls tend to sell out.

Carl

I wish the Coastal Command Mossies were decked out like the CC Mariners and CC B-17s were.

I have close ties to Coastal Command based in Scotland during WWII.

I MUCH prefer the camo over white VS the bluish grey over light Grey or Sky

Lovely work Carl! I would like to get this kit but it's just too big for my space. Maybe after we move someday.

I was wondering how you apply the Mr Metal Color (spray?) and how you prevent getting it all over your other parts too during handling. Dod you seal it to prevent the metallic pigment from rubbing off on your fingers?

Lovely work Carl! I would like to get this kit but it's just too big for my space. Maybe after we move someday.

I was wondering how you apply the Mr Metal Color (spray?) and how you prevent getting it all over your other parts too during handling. Dod you seal it to prevent the metallic pigment from rubbing off on your fingers?

I've been airbrushing and hand painting the Mr Metal Color. For airbrushing, I thin it 50/50 with leveling thinner. If I'm brush painting it, I thin it slightly so it flows better. As for the paint rubbing off, I took advantage of that on the engines to give them a slight metallic sheen. Otherwise, I used Tamiya flat clear to seal them in.

Seal model on their homepage has instructions on how to use the Mr Metal Color as well as the Super Metallic. It's worth a quick read.

I wish the Coastal Command Mossies were decked out like the CC Mariners and CC B-17s were.

I have close ties to Coastal Command based in Scotland during WWII.

I MUCH prefer the camo over white VS the bluish grey over light Grey or Sky

A camo over white CC Mossie would have been cool to see. If there's ever a Sea Hurricane in 32nd, I might just have to do one in that scheme.

My wife's uncle was in the Merchant Marine out of Scotland during the war so I can understand the significance.

Small update tonight. I started work on the radio equipment that goes above the wing. I painted the floor (wing top really) and rear bulkhead interior green and gave it a quick wash.

IMG_20150813_214147.jpg

Otherwise both kits are at about the same place in their completion.

Fuselage:

IMG_20150813_212314.jpg

Engine nacelles and wings:

IMG_20150809_221628.jpg

Carl