Tamiya DH Mosquito FB VI- Stickers! Err, decals.

BloorwestSiR

Carl,k.

Yep still following and interested... :popcorn:

The HK Instrument panel looks far superior than the other one with regards to detailing..

NICE work on them..

:goodjob:

Thanks Maru, the HK kit has the Eduard PE set used on it which might explain the difference.

I figured I would have to hard a time trying to paint the kit supplied IP.

Carl

I ended up using the kits supplied PE belts as I made a mess of the Eduard/HGW ones. I can't say that I'm completely satisfied with the way they came out but there's no way to swap them out now without ruining the rest of the cockpit.

IMG_20150726_115059.jpg

IMG_20150726_115111.jpg

IMG_20150726_115122.jpg

IMG_20150726_115132.jpg

IMG_20150726_115132.jpg

We are working on the same areas together now Carl.  Looks great.  I didn't jump to engines and wings but started as per the instruction order, although engines are my absolute favorite think to model.  I love building them

Looking good

Ron

Some info for those planning to build a 404 Squadron Mossie like I am. The Aviaeology instruction sheet indicates that they flew with both the 50 gallon slipper tanks as well as the 100 gallon ones. Tamiya only gives you the 50 gallon ones in the kit. The HK kit comes with 100 gallon tracks so I checked their fit and it's pretty good. I'll try to get a pic up later.

Since no one currently makes a 100 gallon tank, this might be an option.

If anyone wants to borrow them to make resin copies, let me know.

Carl

Thanks Andy. It's still turned out better than I thought it would since it's guy so many parts in it.

I finished the cockpit side wall. The instrument decals were again given a coat of UV gloss gel to get a glass finish to them.

IMG_20150730_210013.jpg

I then turned my attention to the last two pieces in the cockpit, the gunsight and compass.

IMG_20150802_155905.jpg

After installing the compass, I did a test fit of the cockpit and noticed it wouldn't close up. After looking for the cause of the interference, I found it was the compass. It seems to be a bit high and is contacting the bottom of the IP.I carefully pulled it out and reattached it lower. This solved the problem.

IMG_20150802_160438.jpg

I then attached the cockpit to the starboard side of the fuselage. I used a clamp to make sure it was nice and snug as there is a bit of flex in the front section of the fuselage.

IMG_20150802_161010.jpg

IMG_20150802_161026.jpg

Edited by BloorwestSiR

Thanks HÃ¥kan! The tanks are different in size and shape as the HK one has a capacity twice that of the Tamiya one (100 gallon vs 50 gallon). In real life of course :)

Here they are side by side:

IMG_20150729_225327.jpg

Today is a civic holiday here in Ontario and tomorrow is my birthday so I've been sent off to my workbench by my wife. As a result, I worked on the nose .303 guns and the 20mm cannon for the belly.

IMG_20150802_194925.jpg

The nose guns had their barrels replaced with brass ones from Master.

I then painted them with Mr Metal Color Iron.

IMG_20150802_221804.jpg

I then sprayed a thin cost of Tamiya clear blue mixed with smoke to give a slightly blued look to them.

Last thing I did today was get the fuselage joined together.

IMG_20150803_122156.jpg

Thanks gents! Sadly I didn't get as much bench time as i'd hoped as our youngest decided he wanted to:

A ) melt down, and

B ) only have daddy make him feel better.

I guess it wasn't a total loss as I ended up building a snap together Revell F-14 with him. Nothing like encouraging the next generation of modelers.

Edited by BloorwestSiR