Tamiya DH Mosquito FB VI- Stickers! Err, decals.

BloorwestSiR

Beautiful, I'm keeping all this close to me as I will be starting this one soon..... personally, I thought the seat belts looked ok....

looking forward to the next installment

Jeff

Thanks Jeff. It was the double whammy of my son taking the HK Mossie on a test flight and the look of the stock belts that made me lose interest and step away from the build. I've actually managed to rebuild the HK one but it's still missing two parts. Hopefully they'll show up.

Carl

Carl

Great to see your Mossie underway again and she looks great. Terrific re-work on the seatbelts and the cockpit framing. I sure wish I could follow your lead but since mine Mssie is contest bound and for a Box Stock category, I have to use the kit PE set.

Keep 'em coming

Peter :popcorn:

Thanks Peter. I know your build is box stock which to me is the much bigger challenge. It's so easy to just throw AM at a kit. The biggest letdown I think of the kit parts is the way Tamiya did the screens for the intakes. They're in clear plastic. Why they didn't do them in PE, especially when there are PE bits in the kit already I don't know.

Carl

Guest Peterpools

Carl

My radiator screens are PE over plastic but all that shows is the PE unless I'm talking about the wrong screens.

All in all, Tamiya has created a remarkable model.

Peter

Peter, it's the ones that go in front of the lower cowl intake.

These are the ones from RB:

IMG_20160911_210156.jpg

These are the kit versions:

IMG_20160911_210307.jpg

Like you said, they have done such an incredible job with the rest of the kit, this bit just makes me scratch my head.

A bit more progress tonight. I painted and attached the exhaust pipes. They were painted using the paint mix in the instructions.

IMG_20160911_212336.jpg

Since I had the cowl panels already painted, I put those in place first and then glued the exhausts in place.

IMG_20160911_214232.jpg

The panels will fit over them after they're installed, but I found this easier. It's almost ready for paint.

IMG_20160911_233452.jpg

Carl

Carl, I will echo everyone's sentiments, this is an excellent build, I really like the idea of not gluing the canopy down, that may just be the ticket for all the excellent cockpit work...I'm sorry to hear of the 'test flight', but I suppose we must love those little devils eh?? LOL  Also I hope the copy right guys aren't hot on my tail, I copied one of your ideas, I LOVE those alligator clips with the long handles, I made about 8 of them, and I can now go out in public after a model session WITHOUT Blue fingers !!!! Makes my wife happy, that she isn't out with a 2 year old.. LOL!!! ;-)

Cheers

Jeff

Thanks Jeff! Not having blue fingers is great isn't it?

My son kept apologising every time he saw the plane in the basement. Just before I started back on this build, I went and find almost all the bits from the HK one and put it back together. Here's what it looks like now.

IMG_20160913_223057.jpg

It's still missing two parts but it's off my bench now.

Back to the Tamiya kit, I assembled and painted the crew door.

IMG_20160912_220924.jpg

With the retracting ladder in place:

IMG_20160913_203040.jpg

This was then attached to the fuselage.

Edited by BloorwestSiR

Next, I painted the upper cowlings Dark Green and then installed then on the nacelles.

IMG_20160913_204450.jpg

IMG_20160913_204619.jpg

I then sprayed the remaining areas that needed to be Dark Green.

IMG_20160913_205411.jpg

The Medium Sea Grey was next and I also oversprayed a couple sections that were incorrectly done in Ocean Grey.

IMG_20160913_211515.jpg

With the grey on, that completed the base coat for the camouflage.

Carl

Carl, the HK Mossie looks really good, nice save, and well the Tamiya Mk VI, well it is top  notch, I hope I do as well... keep the up dates coming, I'm taking notes.. I'm off to Nanton Alberta again this weekend to help out on the restoration of the B.35......love this bird.... the real one is cool too ;-)

Jeff

Thanks gents!

Now, it was time for part 2 of the camo scheme. Shortly before the plants were transferred to the squadron, some were repainted in a variation of the standard Coastal Command scheme. According to the Aviaeology decal instructions, this was a thin overspray of Extra Dark Sea Grey over the original camo.

So I gave this a try, using Gunze Extra Dark Sea Grey thinned more than usual. Here's the results of which I'm not 100% sold on yet.

IMG_20160913_215610.jpg

IMG_20160913_215618.jpg

You can just make out the original camo pattern which matches what you see in the photos. I just think it's too dark if that makes any sense. Any thoughts guys?

Carl