Tamiya F7F Tigercat - Item #60325

HPH - Blenheim / Hampden - Item #HpHa002/3

Zoukie-Maru - DH Mosquito - Item #SWS08

Silver Wings - Fairey Albacore - Item #32-013

Hasegawa - Gulfstream G6 - Item #HSGS08234

Revell - Junkers Ju388 - Item #80-4378

HK Models - Handley Page Hastings C2 - Item #01E07

...fantasy....

Scratchbuild..... Free yourself from the manacles and chains of waiting and hoping that some kit manufacturing accounts department is ever going to get a dose of genuine inspiration. I know it happens occasionally, but at 55, I've realised if you really want something, crack on and do it yourself. And before you say I can't, or I don't have the time, consider this. If it takes you a year to build it, that is still at least 9 years less than waiting for an injection moulded kit...

Tim

The Revell 1/32nd scale F-4J Phantom I built back in 1975/'76 introduced me to the true meaning of the term scratch-building.

I was fortunate enough in two areas of this build.

1) My buddy and fellow model builder had two older brothers who were master model builders help me.

2) Since I was a U.S. Navy brat at the time, I had access to not only NAS Mira Mar, but also the flight line where F-4J's were stationed :thumbsup: !

My biggest/fondest memory of that build were the ejection seats that I highly modified/built. I was so proud of them that I didn't want to put them in the plane. I wanted to display it as a model itself :D !

As a matter of fact, I believe that was also my introduction to airbrush painting too because up until that model all painting was done by rattle can and paint brush.

I started that model in the Fall of 1975 and finished it around mid-Summer 1976. I was 10 years old when I started and finished it when I was 11.

I'm planning on scratch building a An-28 & Short Skyvan, these two are high on my list...Skyvan being first.

I would love to see a 1/32nd scale Twin Otter, Beaver & Otter. There are more so I will quote myself later and add when I have a proper think.

Yep...when you're right you're right, but then add the "106" to it as well.... :please:

And an F-101 Voodoo to "round out" the Century series. (I have to ask myself though if I'd ever actually buy/build all these aircraft kits I want to see produced. I've sold off a large percentage of my kits already, and have avoided adding several more to the stash, many of which are models I begged for for years, and are now finally available.)

I'm planning on scratch building a An-28 & Short Skyvan, these two are high on my list...Skyvan being first.

I would love to see a 1/32nd scale Twin Otter, Beaver & Otter. There are more so I will quote myself later and add when I have a proper think.

An-32 in Indian AF colours

Mig-25

IL-18/IL-38 Coot/May

Lun Ekranoplan

I NEED TIME TO MAKE MODELS, DAMMIT.

That is my fantasy.

I need money so I have been taking on clients and am spending all my time drafting (AutoCAD) and designing small devices and taking them through the prototype process for various clients.

I have reconciled my urge to make models with my need to make sculpture by combining them together (talk about fantasy aircraft ! ) but I need the time to construct them. All I am doing is making money to pay off my debts. See what happens when a man-child grows up and faces the mu$ic? Old Peter Pan is caught on the hook of mean, nasty Captain Hook and cannot wriggle off.

My profligate ways have caught up with me.

Well, at least I no longer have to worry about being a fine scale modeler. That is out. Not important enough. Besides, I have had a lifetime of making scale model of airplanes. Now I'll make my own airplanes.

But I need the time. I need a 48 hour day and an 8 day week.

Oh well. Such is life.

Stephen

Stephen,

I think we all think that way. I am so busy it's crazy, but a man's gotta live, eh?

In the car design game, I used to be a clay and hard modeller. I got a name for making mechanisms by hand the hard way, usually before the engineers had got a few lines on CATIA. It used to really pee off the big guns. They were paying huge licences for software and this cocky Englishman comes along and has a rolling DVD screen in the dashboard of a Passat before the engineer has even sketched out his thoughts! And it worked. So the other guys (mainly East Germans) started calling me "Mekanist" or "Kunstler" or Mechanical Martin! When I designed a mechanism to push a Palm computer out of the dashboard and got a patent for it one afternoon the Chief Engineer got so annoyed he disappeared for four days in a huff! So here I am, designated inventor on a VW patent and not a bloody penny have I seen for it!

Now I spend my time in my own little world trying to make it littler.

As you say, such is life!

Cheers,

Martin

Martin, I really like that story. It is wonderful to work with people who "do" things as opposed to "plan" things. I end up too much in the "planning" things on my models, while I have to "do" things at work. Maybe that is relaxing for me?

Stephen, there are always multiple priorities that pull us in eleven different ways. I just try to enjoy what I can for as long as I can.

Tnarg

Horton 229

Star Wars A wing

Star Wars B wing

Star Wars Y wing

B-5 Narn fighter

Any of the Russian fighters

Japanese Val

Japanese Kate

Tamyia Macchi 202

Tamyia FW-190 A4

The list could go on and on...