Birdcage Corsair the Hard Way!

LSP_Kevin

Thanks, fellas. So it seems there really is some variation on the way those rear panels presented. In having a closer look at the photos I have of Marines Dream, they seem to indicate the arrangement seen in the photo Sparz posted, below:

ANNF4U17.JPG?h=8Ro-VJHZKBf6M14yUqrN8Q

This is effectively clear side panels, with the one over the top blanked out. It won't take me long to sort that out, so I may as well.

Thanks everyone for your input!

Kev

OK, moving right along! Here's the amended sliding canopy:

L7XjNX.jpg

The framing on the Montex canopy is really too thick for scale, and the blanked-out clear panel should be level with the surrounding framework, but this will do for effect. The little spots you can see on the canopy are actually air bubbles in the resin. <_<

I've also finished the main painting, except for the fabric-covered areas. Here's the sequence:

First, a spotty coat of Blue-Grey (I'm using MRP's MRP-133), which looks pretty terrible initially:

7sz50N.jpg

Al6VBf.jpg

Next, we go over this with a tighter pattern, attempting to fill in the blanks, but of course, not quite getting there:

7TER0t.jpg

The final step is to back right off with the airbrush, and spray a light blending coat to reduce the puffy effect:

YaqF0a.jpg

It's a lot of work, but produces a very effective base for further weathering. I'll paint the fabric-covered areas in next, using a lightened version of the main colour, and then tidy up the demarcations with the underside colour (MRP-98, Light Gull Grey).

There's still a lot to do, but getting this far feels good!

Kev

Expanding your painting skills.  Do it, Bro!

Sincerely,

Mark

Thanks, Mark. I've used this technique on a couple of previous models, and really like the organic effect it creates. I'll be taking this one a lot further with subsequent weathering, however.

Kev

Kevin,

Late to the party, not the first time! I thought you might be interested in Scooby Doo's comments, if you haven't read them already:

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=63375&page=2&hl=scooby&do=findComment&comment=815874

In particular, his observation in post #25:

"As well, at the time of the accident the rear windows were faired over with the field modified turtleneck conversion."

Hope this helps!

Tom

Thanks, fellas! Sadly, I haven't found the time to do any more on this one yet. Hopefully today.

Kevin,

Late to the party, not the first time! I thought you might be interested in Scooby Doo's comments, if you haven't read them already:
http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=63375&page=2&hl=scooby&do=findComment&comment=815874

In particular, his observation in post #25:
"As well, at the time of the accident the rear windows were faired over with the field modified turtleneck conversion."

Hope this helps!

Tom

Thanks, Tom. I have indeed modified the turtle deck to represent the faired-over field mod. I didn't do the neatest job, but my excuse is that it's a field mod, and not subject to strict quality control! I'll post a close-up of it at some point.

Kev

So cool to see this one finally in the finishing stages with the application of paint Kev! While it's hard to know without seeing it in person it does seem to me that you may be more critical with your results that you need be. I think it looks fantastic and it's hard to distinguish you didn't start with Tamiya's kit.

Way to go Kev!

Cheers,

Wolf

Thanks, Wolf - you're too kind! I have a habit of taking photos that minimise the problems I've created or encountered, so it looks better than it really is! Maybe I should do a walkaround of all its sins when it's finished.

In reviewing my paint work on the fuselage, I've noticed that I went a bit heavy with the final blend coat, and the variegated effect is much more subtle there than I intended it to be. I don't think it's a problem, but does highlight one of the challenges inherent in the black-basing technique.

Kev