Birdcage Corsair the Hard Way!

LSP_Kevin

Thanks again, fellas. I'm just suffering from that inevitable gap that develops between your vision for the model you're building, and the eventual reality of it. I've also decided against trying to recreate the paint job of Marines Dream exactly as seen in photos, and just go with the Meteor Productions interpretation, which I don't find to be particularly accurate. This is just a mere expedience to get the model done as quickly and painlessly as possible.

For what it's worth, this image of a build of Marines Dream seen at ScaleACT over the weekend (not my photo) is in my opinion a very accurate interpretation of what you see in the crash photos of the aircraft:

23415167_1462402463877679_32108767503603

My only criticism is that - again, in my opinion - the dark blue areas seen on the the wings are likely just darkened by the water of the ditch the aircraft was pulled from. Happy to discuss this point with anyone who has superior knowledge to me. I still think this is possibly the best interpretation I've seen so far. I think the builder may be an LSP member, too.

Kev

So cool to see this one finally in the finishing stages with the application of paint Kev! While it's hard to know without seeing it in person it does seem to me that you may be more critical with your results that you need be. I think it looks fantastic and it's hard to distinguish you didn't start with Tamiya's kit.

Way to go Kev!

Cheers,

Wolf

angry%20faces%2013.jpg

It looks like Mike doesn't quite agree with you, Wolf!

Kev

Beautiful work on the Trumpy Corsair!  Interested to see how the paint looks now that I've seen the preliminary work (which looks fantastic, btw).

Thanks, John. I've just finished painting the fabric areas on the wings, but have decided to leave the control surfaces alone - again, expedience. Once I've tidied up the upper/lower demarcations, I'll post some photos.

Kev

Paint is looking good, Kev! On the home stretch!

Thanks, Ray. Here's a bit more progress for you:

Oq8pCj.jpg

I've still got a few touch-ups to do, and no matter how I tried, I couldn't get the fuselage demarcation as neat as I wanted it. It'll have to do. The colours turned out a bit more green in the photos than they are in person. I masked the wing root so I could deal with the overspray of blue-grey on the fuselage, but the tape tore off a large patch of paint down to the silver layer when I removed it, so I've given the entire model a healthy coat of Tamiya's Satin Clear to protect the work done so far. The photo below shows where I've painted over the silver patch, but the paint edges are still quite visible:

TWi0xL.jpg

I've started the process of progressively sanding the area back, and will stop and repaint once it starts to look too gnarly. You can also see in the photo above that areas of the finish are actually quite rough, so once the clear coat hardens fully, I'll give given the entire model a slight rub down to help smooth things out. I'm sure this will lead to even more touch-ups!

Here's a rare shot of the underside:

1z4sqL.jpg

I suspect I should have filled the rectangular holes surrounding the shell ejector ports! I guess it's not too late, but...sheesh!

More soon.

Kev

OK, so this build continues to inch forward, and I'll be happy if I can get it done before Christmas. Fingers crossed!

Gloss coat applied, ready for decals:

xqHXRF.jpg

This has really brought out the intensity of the black-basing in places, but this will all blend more organically during the subsequent steps, with a flat coat being the great leveller.

I did a quick'n'dirty fill job on the rectangular holes on the undersides (which were for the unused rocket rails):

syE4x0.jpg

And here's a close up of the interior of the cowling:

m7shgW.jpg

I still haven't done the engine, because I'm not looking forward to wiring it up! But I'll have to tackle it soon. I'd rather do some decals and weathering first, however. Haven't touched the main landing gear or prop yet, either, so it's not as close to the finish line as it looks, unfortunately. But it's closer than it was!

Kev

Thanks, fellas. It'll take me forever to get the engine and landing gear done, not to mention all the weathering once the decals are on. I'll need to be full steam ahead on Peter's book for the next few weeks, but I'm still hoping to devote enough time to this to have it done by Christmas. That's the plan, anyway!

Kev