Birdcage Corsair the Hard Way!

LSP_Kevin

Ouch Kev, is it worth filing that gap with some plastic card to begin with maybe?

Regards. Andy

Possibly, but the problem is that the gap on the port underside join is not consistent in width, so filling with strip or card will be tricky. I'm waiting for the CA gel to cure sufficiently to be sanded, and then I'll assess the situation.

Kev

Great progress!   It looks challenging for sure, but not that bad. Especially considering how far you've already come! 

Im with Eric on this one.........................I likely would have ditched this a long time ago! :lol: Indeed more fortitude than I have

Edited by Out2gtcha

Thanks, fellas. I've taken Andy's advice and shimmed the worst of the gaps. The step on the other wing join will need to be addressed using epoxy putty, however, so once the plastic shims have dried enough to be trimmed back, I'll break out the Apoxy Sculpt and get to work. I can see that I'm going to end up in rescribing hell, though!

Kev

Kev,

Really nice to see you at the bench again working on the Corsair. It did cross my mind that there hasn't been an update for some time.  I really don't envy you with all that much needed re-scribing.

Joel

• 3 weeks later...

OK folks, I've just been through this entire thread and updated all the image links so that they point to my new ImageShack album, and not the Photobucket one. It was certainly a long and tedious process, and I'm not sure how many of my past threads I'm going to be able to justify this for. With regard to this particular build, though, it did teach me a couple of things. Firstly, despite how long it has taken to get this far, and all the trials and tribulations endured along the way, there has been significant progress, and I now feel a bit more inspired to push it along again.

The second thing is that I've decided I no longer like the grey card background in the photos. I've really struggled to obtain a consistent white balance with it, and while the blue background is definitely more strident, I still like those photos better. What I'd really prefer to do is master using a white background, but I struggle with the white balance there, too. This is really due to my own limitations as a photographer, and I just need to overcome them. If that fails, it's back to the blue background. Either way, I'd love to be able to replace my 10-year-old bridge camera some day!

Anyway, hopefully I can bring you guys an update on the build soon.

Kev

Kev,

Thanks for updating the Corsair thread so that we can follow it and refer to it as needed. 

As for your WB issue, I've struggled with it when I was using a Nikon P500 Bridge camera. Upgrading to my 1st DSLR made a huge difference with a used  Nikon D70-S, then upgraded to a D90, and for the last few years I've been shooting with a D7100. With each upgrade came a larger and more sensitive sensor, and a more sophisticated software package that is a huge help with both exposure and WB. Basically, what your Bridge camera sensor and softwear is doing is trying to read the closest shade of white that is in the image area. With the D7100 I can adjust the WB based on a graph that I pull up to let me get closer to the proper WB. In practice, I never bother going that route, and just leave it on Auto. 

I shoot in RAW, and edit in Adobe Lightroom 6.1. That combination allows me to adjust and correct WB to achieve the overall effect I'm looking for in a few ways. One option is to use a pointer to pick a close to white area within the subject, and use that as the white point which will address the WB balance to achieve that. That negates what color background I'm using which might influence the overall decision of the software in determining the WB. The option I use the most is simply to adjust the Kelvin temp of the ovrall picture via a slider. 95% of the time with the camer left on Auto WB, it's very close, or I can let the program adjust by changing a setting from As Shot to Auto or Daylight (5500 degrees Kelvin), or several more options. 

I'm sure that WB adjustments are available if you're shooting in JPEG only, which is what most Bridge cameras use with no adjustment to RAW possible. I've posted adjustments on really wacked out WB pictures here which are all JPEGs.  The key is a good editing program. the better the program, the more options you'll have, and the finer adjustments you can make. 

Joel

Thanks, Joel. I shoot in RAW, and have the ability to adjust the white balance, both in camera, and after the fact in Photoshop. I just find it really difficult to get it right with the grey card background. Plus, my camera is so old that the internal battery has been flat for years, and whenever I change the main batteries out, I have to reset everything - date, shooting format, and custom white balance. I quite often can't be bothered doing the latter, and leave it on auto, giving me less than satisfactory results. I also temporarily lost my set of white balance cards, but I found them again yesterday.

All of this really means that I can and should do better, but a better camera would also help. The camera I have is one of the better bridge cameras ever made in my opinion (Fuji Finepix S6500), and I'm sure I don't exploit all its capabilities properly. But it's probably also true that I'm expecting a bit much from it these days.

Kev

Kev,

Your Fuji Finepix S6500 is the equivalent of the Nikon P500, and even better just by the fact that it allows RAW, the P500 didn't. Photoshop is the standard of editing programs, so you should be able to adjust your WB exactly as needed. 

can't they replace the internal battery? I would assume they can, but it's the price of the repair/replace that's makes or breaks the option. 

Joel

Hi Kev,

I can appreciate just how much work that would have been to go through and update this entire thread, but I agree with what you're saying. It's nice when things aren't exactly going your way to realise just how far you've come since you've started. As for the photos, well you Sir are light years ahead of me just taking quick snaps on the bench with the iPhone.

I'd love to become a better photographer, and maybe one day I'll get around to making a proper photo booth.

Either way, I look forward to seeing some more progress on this soon!

Craig