Birdcage Corsair the Hard Way!

LSP_Kevin

Sad news: as I've reported elsewhere, the member who I've been referring to in this build thread as my anonymous benefactor, Tim Valdez, has just passed away in the last few days. It saddens me greatly that he will not get to see the finished model, and that I haven't been able to deliver on my original promise to him.

I know this should give me extra motivation to finish it in his honour, but I honestly feel like smashing it to bits.

Vale Tim.

Kev

Kevin,

I absolutely understand. My A-6 build stopped when the Intruder pilot I had been corresponding with passed away...but the build still waits for me to finish. I support whatever you do, but I humbly suggest asking yourself if you would ever regret destroying your work.

Sincerely, Tom

Thanks, fellas. Don't worry - I won't be smashing it! But having just completed the flaps, I'm still pretty disappointed with it. Probably the worst aspect of the kit, and mine are all over the shop. I had to remove a couple of them and cut the PE hinges so that they'd fit in place properly, but I ended up with one being too short, so had to extend it to the proper length with some styrene stock. They still look terrible, but at least the trailing edges are relatively even now.

Kev

I've been tinkering away at this one on and off for the last few days, and it's creeping ever closer to the painting stage. Upon realising that, I also realised that I don't have either of the main colours in my paint stash! A quick order to BNA for some Mr. Paint on Sunday afternoon, and a delivery today (Tuesday) of the required paints. Great service from those guys as always.

A question for the cognoscenti, however: were the wheel bays left in unpainted salmon-pink primer, or covered over in either white or the underside colour?

Kev

A question for the cognoscenti, however: were the wheel bays left in unpainted salmon-pink primer, or covered over in either white or the underside colour?

Kev

The main gear bays would be the bottom colour, not primer. The tailwheel  bay would be primer but the inside of the doors are bottom colour.

Looking forward to trying some Mr. Paint myself soon.

Allan

I was skeptical at first when I heard it was acrylic particles. When I figured out MRP paints were similar to the Tamiya acrylic lacquers I decided to give them a shot. Im SO glad I did, because the MRP paints shoot better through an airbrush then just about ANY paints I have ever worked with.

So much so, that I ended up investing about $150 in MRP paints after I used them for the first time. If they were thicker, and could be brush painted, Id probably give up every single other brand of paint Ive stockpiled. 

The main gear bays would be the bottom colour, not primer. The tailwheel  bay would be primer but the inside of the doors are bottom colour.

Allan

Thanks, Allan. That was my impression also, but I came across Brett Green's build of this kit in his Osprey book, and he painted the main wheel bays in the salmon primer colour, so I thought I'd better double-check.

Kev

I was skeptical at first when I heard it was acrylic particles. When I figured out MRP paints were similar to the Tamiya acrylic lacquers I decided to give them a shot. Im SO glad I did, because the MRP paints shoot better through an airbrush then just about ANY paints I have ever worked with.

So much so, that I ended up investing about $150 in MRP paints after I used them for the first time. If they were thicker, and could be brush painted, Id probably give up every single other brand of paint Ive stockpiled.

My experience was OK, they do shoot great and have a good colour range, however the coverage is a real problem. Takes alot more MRP to cover the same area as other acrylic that are thinned. As they are not cheap I think I will stick with other brands.

My experience was OK, they do shoot great and have a good colour range, however the coverage is a real problem. Takes alot more MRP to cover the same area as other acrylic that are thinned. As they are not cheap I think I will stick with other brands.

Huh, I did not find that at all. Actually the opposite..........I found that after I primed the model (especially Tamiya Fine white or Mr Surfacer Black 1500) it didn't take much to get a really cool looking effect breaking up a single color.  Much more realistic effect that some other non-mixed paints I've tried.

Huh, I did not find that at all. Actually the opposite..........I found that after I primed the model (especially Tamiya Fine white or Mr Surfacer Black 1500) it didn't take much to get a really cool looking effect breaking up a single color.  Much more realistic effect that some other non-mixed paints I've tried.

Interesting, It took almost two bottles to cover my Corsair F4U-6 AU-1. The model was primied with MRP grey primer. I had alot of problems sorting out pressure at the begining when testing the paint, which I settled on between 10-14psi max. I have purchased over a dozen various colours for other projects, but I'm still not sold on the product.