Birdcage Corsair the Hard Way!

LSP_Kevin

One more very important item to add, Great work Kevin.

One can't resist the lovely lines of a Corsair, and yours is shapping up to be a great example.

Thank you, sir! I'm glad somebody likes it; I'm personally not that fond of it anymore, especially after screwing up the flaps. I'm now just working on the windscreen and canopy, after which, I can start painting the thing. Mustn't forget the engine, though!

Kev

• 2 weeks later...

Well folks, it's about time this build had an overdue update! I've been nibbling away at it in the background for a while now, but only making progress in fits and starts. Tim's death shocked me a bit, and kind of paralysed me with regard to this project for a little while. It needs to be finished, of course, so I've resolved to get it done, but perhaps back off the all-in, all out approach it's had so far. The fact is, fitting the Aires wheel bays has ruined the wings, which had the knock-on effect of ruining the flaps, and this has collectively ruined most of the enthusiasm I had for the model. So, it'll just be a painting and weathering exercise from here on out.

And here's where we're at:

h8T6aZ.jpg

The cowl is the LSP one, and has been fitted out with the internal photo-etched ribbing. What a PITA what was! I think they look OK, though, and should provide a nice effect once the engine is installed:

farok5.jpg

I also failed to coax the flaps into a fully round shape, so they look a bit odd, but I can live with it. I think this affected the way they sit against the fuselage, however, and they're mm or two too far forward, causing this gap at the top:

9cphXl.jpg

It looks a little worse in the photo than it actually is, but will still be pretty simple to fix.

I've also fully painted the canopy, and installed the windscreen:

lHy78J.jpg

The tape is there just to ensure the part doesn't lift or wander while the Gator's Grip is drying. The canopy parts are clear resin, and included in the Montex birdcage conversion set, along with a set of paint masks to use on them. Neither is particularly great. The clear resin is not so clear, with plenty of distortion and an overall 'lumpy' look that is quite distracting. And some of the paint masks didn't fit well, and the interior and exterior pieces didn't necessarily align perfectly, though I can live with the effect it has created. The worst part, though, was that any piece fitted to even a gentle compound curve just kept lifting!

So, overall I'm not too happy with the canopy parts, but they'll look passable on the finished model (I hope). I'll be blending the windscreen in using more Gator's Grip, which should help the overall look, too.

So, there you have it!

Kev

Kev, welcome back! It's great to see you back at the bench, hopefully with Mrs Kev all better this is a new chapter for you. I for one will be watching and quietly cheering.

Jim

Thanks, Jim. I've still got plenty of commitments, and my modelling muscles have well and truly atrophied (along with even having the habit of sitting at the bench). But I'm working my way back, and would love to build up a decent head of steam to get this one finished.

Kev

HI Kev,

I understand your lack of enthusiasm for this build. It happens to me on a regular basis because I ALWAYS screw something up on a build. However, it looks great and I would be proud to have this as one of my builds. Keep chipping away and I am certain it will come out looking superb. I will be very interested to see how you do the weathering.

HI Kev,

I understand your lack of enthusiasm for this build. It happens to me on a regular basis because I ALWAYS screw something up on a build. However, it looks great and I would be proud to have this as one of my builds. Keep chipping away and I am certain it will come out looking superb. I will be very interested to see how you do the weathering.

Thanks, Don - you're too kind! I'm actually not sure how I'll tackle the weathering yet. Part of me wants to go down the 'black basing' route, but it doesn't really suit extensive paint chipping and fading, or exposed primer coats, etc. Still thinking about that one!

Kev

After the year you've had Kev, I'm surprised you've got the energy to plough on with this - I'd have rewarded myself with a nice, lovely Tamiya 1/32 Corsair by now & consigned this one to a dark corner somewhere. 

Well, I feel more obliged than ever to finish it now, but I'll be glad to see it done.

Kev

It's really coming together and it looks like there is a light at the end of the tunnel.  You picked one tough subject to tackle from trumpeter, you have a lot more guts than me! 

I just wanted to let you know that I used the black basing on my corsair and it I was still able to accomplish some chipping.  I used Mig's chipping fluid with MRP paints and it worked just like using acrylics.  Let me know if you want to try it, I'd be happy to help...

Bryan

Thanks, Bryan. I normally like to keep my chipping restrained, and prefer to use a silver pencil just to hint at some wear and tear. This Corsair is a whole different kettle of fish, however, with photos of Marines Dream showing it in a highly distressed state (the crash notwithstanding). I'll be using MRP colours too, so I'm happy to take any advice that you can offer!

Kev

I think youll love them. You can really use very little paint and get nice tones. I tend to want to prime with the MRP stuff, it seems to take less paint.  Still, best colors ive ever shot through the airbrush.

Yep, used them before on the Do 335 build - reviewed them here too, in fact. And now that I can buy them locally, I'm even happier! Coincidentally, I've got a sample set of their new Aqua colours to review when I can find the time. Stay tuned!

Kev

I think youll love them. You can really use very little paint and get nice tones. I tend to want to prime with the MRP stuff, it seems to take less paint.  Still, best colors ive ever shot through the airbrush.

I couldn't agree more, they have become my go to paints.

Kev,

I pretty much followed Doog's chipping method except I used MRP paint and Mig's chipping fluid, although I don't think the type of chipping fluid matters much.  I used alclad Aluminum for the silver part.  It's comes out a little bright but it totally tones down with weathering.  I used Mr. Color for the chromate  primer color since I didn't have it in MRP but it chipped just fine too.  Just make sure to clear coat between paints, I used MRP gloss clear.  I don't think I used a clear coat for the Alclad but it can't hurt.

I was really unsure if I wanted to try this method since I was so afraid I would ruin my build but I'm glad I did it.  I can't seem to paint realistic chips with a brush to save my life so this was a great option for me.

Hope this helps you out a bit buddy...

Bryan