Models in the closet

ChrisS

1 hour ago, Shoggz said:

I'm definitely on board with those that plan ahead and buy the appropriate aftermarket items at point of kit purchase.

My current stash size is about 75 - so to keep tabs of what I have, I've constructed a spreadsheet with all the kits, plus their associated add-ons and the whereabouts of each.

When I start a new kit, the first thing to do is to consult said oracle and accumulate all the extras I purchased for it.

If I've been particularly efficient (happens about 50% of the time) I'll have actually put the aftermarket goodies in the box of the kit ready for use. 

The challenge comes when you have multiple duplicates (I have five Airfix 1:24 Mk.IX Spitfires in the stash*) and you have to make sure you have the basics (e.g. canopy masks) for all of them!

*I want to build early/late/e-wing versions, plus MH434 as she is currently and a Mk.XVI bubbletop conversion!

Hi Richard,

That is sage advice for everyone: put any aftermarket in the box for which they are intended when one gets them. You really are highly organised having a spreadsheet for it all. Tip of the hat to you Sir.

Kind regards,

Paul

Interesting question re: finances and choices. My purchasing choices seem as random as my thought process, which is not good at all, and I seldom load up on AM for the item, and for two reasons; money issues, and the question of when, if ever, I’ll actually get to that specific project. So basically, I buy the kit, throw it in with the already stupidly large stash, then chase down AM whenever I’m actually prepared to start on it.

4 hours ago, Shoggz said:

I've constructed a spreadsheet with all the kits, plus their associated add-ons and the whereabouts of each.

What happens if the spreadsheet is the victim of a drive crash or other catastrophe? 

I've been using simple Post-it notes for at least 20 years to identify the aftermarket items that are store inside the kit boxes. I need only look at the kit box to know what it contains - all of that information is in one place. 

Relevant to this thread's topic, ANYONE looking at my kit boxes has instant access to lists of exactly what's inside each box, so heirs would have an easy time selling the stuff if they should so choose to do so. 

The only question posed about doing this so far has been "Won't they fall off eventually?" No. I've never had one fall off unless it was knocked off, and some of those Post-its have been in place for more than 2 decades. 

pTiws6W.jpg

D

For me, the single biggest problem with spreadsheets and databases, is keeping them updated. Years ago I started a spreadsheet for my book collection, amassing nearly 2,000 entries before I eventually neglected to keep it up-to-date with new acquisitions and sales, so now that list is more or less useless to me. As to corruption or loss of a drive, I have multiple drives that serve as data redundancy, so that was never really an issue for me.

When I was a kid , I bought models at my LHS (Wixon's) which was a toy store but he had an entire

wall that was nothing but kits. I used to wander up and down that wall trying to decide what to spend

my very limited cash on. I could do that for an hour or more until Mr. Wixon started giving me stern looks.

I felt the pressure (remember, I was a kid). Now my stash is made up of only kits I like, so there's no

pressure regarding time or money. I just choose something that strikes my fancy at any given time.

It's obvious I will never finish them all but that doesn't bother me as I've spent a lot more money on things

I won't be taking to my grave either.

Now this is top priority given to books and limited edition kits. Other items follow. You can observe that books from large editors disappear now after...a year! This is a quite new phenomenon linked to small production quantities. This wasn't up to that extreme before Covid. So if you want to pay reasonable prices get if you can whatever limited release item that interests you! Think Jetmads or Kotare for kits.  I got from a French editor books about the Atlantic wall bunkers and guess what? He already warned that he will only produce 200 copies of the fifth volume! Jeez! As an IT guy I considered at least 100 times a worksheet or, better, a database. However, as a modeller acting as a squirrel for more that 40 years, I would not know where to start and this would ask for ages. So, I'm relying on my good memory and this is reasonably ok up to now! I forgot some items and purchased some useless ones but the drawback is minor in comparison with the listing effort. Possibly for my retirement time as I will not be anymore in front of screens for long hours!

I keep unstarted kits in about a dozen large plain brown Rymans boxes in a spare bedroom (loft too hot and garage too damp), and keep the "inventory" updated on my tablet, including AM. 

Started kits are kept in plastic lidded crates. 

Stash currently stands at some 137, eighteen having been disposed of since December and another sixteen x 1:72 about to go by June, after which I'm planning on reducing the 1:48 & 1:32 inventory a tad, Most of these are as-new but I've accepted — reaching 66 years old next month — that there simply are too many of them and it's time to find new homes for a third.

New ones will be bought, but strictly on the basis of four built, sold or given away for every new acquisition. 

"Another model?" She might ask.

"No dear, it's just bits and bobs for ones I'm making". 

(Actually, it's whisky and rum every couple of months).

Tony 

Edited by Tony T

I forgot to add that I'm removing all the instructions sheets and decals from the plane kit boxes. The goal is two-fold. First, having all the plans in specific folders per air force in my library is helping me to know what I have (aftermarket sheets are put in the instructions of the related kits). Second, the decals are put in different folders with aftermarket ones per air force and topic and stored in a big cardboard box in the same room. So, they are in a room where variations of temperature and humidity stay reasonable and I can take decals for a project far more easily. Unfortunately the room is currently full of cardboard storage boxes because of the house extension works and move of contents from my parents in law house! :(

On 3/23/2024 at 5:32 PM, MikeMaben said:

When I was a kid , I bought models at my LHS (Wixon's) which was a toy store but he had an entire

wall that was nothing but kits. I used to wander up and down that wall trying to decide what to spend

my very limited cash on. I could do that for an hour or more until Mr. Wixon started giving me stern looks.

I felt the pressure (remember, I was a kid). Now my stash is made up of only kits I like, so there's no

pressure regarding time or money. I just choose something that strikes my fancy at any given time.

It's obvious I will never finish them all but that doesn't bother me as I've spent a lot more money on things

I won't be taking to my grave either.

Don’t worry Mr Wixon is probably staring at you from the other side waiting for your hard earned pocket money to go into his till so he can pay the electricity bill. Or some sexy lingerie to wear after the shop closes…oh soz this is models in the closet. 

Edited by Pup7309

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/23/2024 at 1:35 PM, thierry laurent said:

I forgot to add that I'm removing all the instructions sheets and decals from the plane kit boxes. The goal is two-fold. First, having all the plans in specific folders per air force in my library is helping me to know what I have (aftermarket sheets are put in the instructions of the related kits). Second, the decals are put in different folders with aftermarket ones per air force and topic and stored in a big cardboard box in the same room. So, they are in a room where variations of temperature and humidity stay reasonable and I can take decals for a project far more easily. Unfortunately the room is currently full of cardboard storage boxes because of the house extension works and move of contents from my parents in law house! :(

I do the same thing with my kits and then with my decals I try to put them in an appropriately sized zip-lock bag which then goes into a clear 3 ring binder sleeve and finally into the 3 ring binder.  My photo-etch is done the same way. I think I might be a little "anal"...which is short for anal-retentive  :rolleyes:.

Take Care,

Jim

On 4/15/2024 at 3:55 AM, babyduck5 said:

I do the same thing with my kits and then with my decals I try to put them in an appropriately sized zip-lock bag which then goes into a clear 3 ring binder sleeve and finally into the 3 ring binder.  My photo-etch is done the same way. I think I might be a little "anal"...which is short for anal-retentive  :rolleyes:.

Take Care,

Jim

It’s ok know what you mean but good to clarify for those that don’t.