Models in the closet

ChrisS

Wait a minute here!

NOBODY WARNED ME ABOUT FINISHING A MODEL. Is it really necessary? :)

Talking seriously, I think we just feel better knowing they´re all there. That´s why.

I just need my fix man, you know it's not an addiction at all, I can control it.

If I walk into a model shop I don't have to buy that...

...ooooh hello sexy model, wanna come home with daddy...

...I really can control my urges and...

...mmmmmmm, baby, you look so fine in your shiny celophane wrapper I've got just the spot for you...

...DOCTOR!!!!!!

IT DIDN'T start out this way........

I always built the 1/32 stuff;and the 29cent Hawk fighters;and the He-111 by Lindberg. One day I saw a tank. Coooolll so I built one.Acouple years later I built a ship,with masts and lots of thread,then some battlwagons...... The Present- Chronologically 44,I have amassed a collection of 250 kits,60 120mm figgysand some odd 120mm tanks and stuff.

I do like to see the Me-109,Spit,Fw190,etc. lineage on the shelf. I know the history,the personalities.... I know you guys know.. what its like to have this connection with history..... and testors glue,no not the sissy stuff that smells like lemons or oranges or whatever.. . but seriously, I have a desire to build the stuff I collect;and I only buy what I want to build- sooo not much else but 1/32 in A/C,and very selective with my armor,tall ships and other stuff. that said,the ebay will provide for me should I ever feel the need to acquire... a 4th jug? :) . I do have some kits on the shelf simply because they remind me of simpler days... mow a lawn,get paid, buy a kit,and BAM, start building. My wife thinks that not only am I off my rocker,but that I broke it when I fell off of it. dilemma: last october we had some brush fires out this way and I had to evacuate my house :) I only had room for so many kits(insert music from Psycho here)how do you value these things? well we were lucky and the wind changed when the fire was 1/4 mile from my house. bottom line: I probably won't build all I own, I will acquire some new stuff;1/24th Rufe and a repop Kearsarge, but its fun chasing kits,trading kits,learning the historyand hanging with guys like these on this site. beerCHEERS to all mike in calif

• 19 years later...
4 hours ago, Rick Griewski said:

There is an interesting article in the IPMS magazine, essentially plea from a model stash widow for us collectors to plan for the  “disposal” of our models.  

Boy, howdy.  This is a real issue because none of us are getting any younger.  I despair at leaving my kids - none of whom are modelers - to dispose of my kits and modeling stuff.  There is too much real value in all those boxes, decal sheets and unopened bottles of paint to just toss it all in the bin.  Liquidating an estate is not an easy thing and when my wife and I try to broach the subject of who gets what and how to dispose of the rest one day soon, our kids quickly change the subject and we get nowhere.  Unless they are epic, I think built kits rightly have little value to someone else but they are what my kids will focus on because they can see and touch them and they know how long I worked on each one.  It will require effort on my part to convince them that it is a fitting end to let the grandkids to play with them unto death once I’m done with them.  Converting my meager stash to donuts and pizzas, however, will be left up to them because I will be occupied elsewhere.

The word ‘stash’ was obviously coined after 2004 as it isn’t mentioned!

Quite poignant seeing a few ‘deceased members’ in those early posters.

I wonder what became of their stashes - I hope they managed to make plans.

I have a massive spreadsheet with all my stuff in it, with their current RRP.

I wouldn’t let the wife near it whilst I’m still around (How much did that pile of plastic cost?!”), but it might prove invaluable when I join the ranks of ‘deceased members’..

Does it really matter how a stash is disposed of? The stuff is all paid for. It won't cost anyone anything more than a few hours of their time to toss it all in the recycle bin so it can be hauled away. It only becomes a chore if the people that are left with the stuff when I'm gone want to earn some cash by selling it, and that would be entirely their own choice. 

D

As I have gotten older, my interests have diversified, and the time and energy I am able to devote to building models has noticeably declined.  We have also been through the painful and cumbersome estate liquidation process with a family member who passed away a while back with a huge collection of carpentry and woodworking tools and related paraphernalia.  As such, I am systematically going through my stash and setting aside the modest number kits that I truly think I will build with the time I have left.  Everything else has been going on Ebay.  I recall reading a post from a very clever modeler on this site, in which he had determined that any kit that he desired to build was available online through various sources, either new or used, so why not let somebody else store it.  Epiphany!  And in fact, for me, the problem of what to do with a closet full of unbuilt kits should I meet an untimely end is now becoming a non-issue. 

Your results may vary.

Cheers!

John.