Models in the closet

ChrisS

Mother says my Furthest Flown Unmade Kit champions contribute to global waning.

Be that as it may, I think model making and its common companion, kit collecting, are healthy manifestations of active imagination. For me it is so much faster and simpler to feed my imagination by buying a kit than building it, given adequate funds of course, sufficient dry storage capacity and cohabitee's forbearance. How many dioramas I have in my head I cannot say, but I suspect there are more than the total of my Kits Awaiting Bench Space - even allowing for all three D H 88 Comets on the start line before the 1934 MacRobertson Air Race.

Yep, it certainly is grand!

Hi everyone,

I don't know how most of you either plan or spontaneoulsy spend your plastic modelling hobby funds (assuming you have a 'budget') but I continually find myself in a dilemma.   This issue doesn't centre around new kits, rather, it centres on the accessories that I want to include in future builds.   I have a fairly a modest 'stash' of 1/32 scale aircraft - about 50 kits in total.   My dilemma is what to spend my budget-allocated money on.   Do I spend it on the latest kit and all of the accessories I want to include in my future build or do I spend my money on accessories that may become difficult or impossible to source in the foreseeable future?   I'm interested in knowing how you guys and girls tackle this problem.  I don't expect a 'black and white' response - I'm simply wanting to know if some of you have encountered the same issue I have and how you deal with it.   Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Wayne

(In Melbourne, Australia) 

I try and limit myself to $100 per month but blow through that on occasion when I need/want models, paint, aftermarket, etc.  I'm at a point in my life that if I need/want something or if I THINK I'll need/want something, I get it.  Too many times over the years I've missed out on things I want/need for my modeling endeavors because I waited; now if I see something I need/want, I buy it (so long as I feel the cost-benefit is there [a personal decision]).  If it's expensive (i.e. the Border Models 1/32 Lancaster Dambuster kit), I use Paypal Credit so I spread out the cost over a six month period without incurring interest charges...just so long as it's fully paid off within that six month period.

6 hours ago, Christa said:

Mother says my Furthest Flown Unmade Kit champions contribute to global waning.

Be that as it may, I think model making and its common companion, kit collecting, are healthy manifestations of active imagination. For me it is so much faster and simpler to feed my imagination by buying a kit than building it, given adequate funds of course, sufficient dry storage capacity and cohabitee's forbearance. How many dioramas I have in my head I cannot say, but I suspect there are more than the total of my Kits Awaiting Bench Space - even allowing for all three D H 88 Comets on the start line before the 1934 MacRobertson Air Race.

Yep, it certainly is grand!

Mother is always right of course….:D

Ooh, All three DH.88s lined up! Now that would be a diorama worth seeing! A verrrrrry expensive diorama in 1/32 but definitely one worth seeing.

Kind regards,

Paul

Edited by Archimedes

I am in with Juggernut, When I buy a kit, I get all the a/m I think I will need also. Most of the aftermarket manufacturers are small one man / family buisesses that constantly change products to keep up with new kits being made and old stock becomes unavailable in a relatively short time. My stash has basically reached it's upper limit, so my modelling expenditure now is going on tools and supplies mostly. I do periodically review what I have for a/m in each kit, and check to see if anything new is available or top up any missing sets. I did a steep purchasing curve over the last few years, but now have definately levelled off to a steady but small maintaining expenditure that I do not forsee that increasing anytime soon. Regards, Pete in RI

ps, I do not have a budget per se, quite often I will go months without spending anything on the hobby, some just a few bucks, once in a while a splurge.

Edited by europapete

Budget?  LOL!  I freely spend my wife’s money.  It’s all hers.  
I do jump on AM for kits I have in the stash (over 200) because I’ve seen the AM industry here today, gone tomorrow.  Don’t hesitate to grab the AM you think you might need.  It’s almost like a commodity.  
Ex:  I picked up all three Connie kits years ago, G Factor gear and a hand full of Fisher correction parts. 
I could sell one on the Fisher parts for more than all invested if I changed my mind about building them. 

I buy very few kits but, when I do, I also buy any accessories, aftermarket and/or decals that the kit may need. When I do buy a kit my first source is the traders board here (I have had several bargains) before I go to the vendors. Sometimes I order direct from the manufacturer (e.g. Kotare) if I can. The vendors get my money through the books/decals/aftermarket generally. If a kit is very expensive then I limit myself to one in the year (e.g. the Border Lancaster). 

It is interesting that you consider your stash small: I think of mine at 58 as vast because I measure it in builds per year and I’ll need to live to 159 at my present build rate.

@Out2gtcha  or @LSP_Kevin this thread is an interesting one and closely connected to the ‘Models in the Closet’ thread in general discussion. Might we merge the two?

Kind regards,

Paul

Edited by Archimedes

52 minutes ago, Archimedes said:

A verrrrrry expensive diorama in 1/32 but definitely one worth seeing.

Linking Paul's thought with Grissom's new budgeting thread, I'll just say that my DH 88 Comets came singly, slowly and only after three disposals from my kit collection. I had seen a monochrome photograph of those three graceful racers lined up before their start from Mildenhall. I simply wanted to see them in colour.

1 hour ago, Christa said:

Scott, you may have got the very last model wife. Congratulations.

She’s definitely a keeper. But she loses her mind at the idea of another kit.  She knows hoarding runs in the family.  
AM, paint and supplies are wide open though. 

1 hour ago, Christa said:

Linking Paul's thought with Grissom's new budgeting thread, I'll just say that my DH 88 Comets came singly, slowly and only after three disposals from my kit collection. I had seen a monochrome photograph of those three graceful racers lined up before their start from Mildenhall. I simply wanted to see them in colour.

No pressure but now I really want to see that too….:D

I am certain you will do them justice. One at a time or all at once? (A question I often used to ask regarding Pan’s People) ;)

Kind regards,
Paul

Having a somewhat across the board stash can be problematic. I have some ships in 1/350, 1/200, and a few tall ships. Sorting the A/M for those, plus planes can be a challenge. I weigh the wants, new or more expensive kits, vs the needs, the appropriate A/M for future builds. 

I'm definitely on board with those that plan ahead and buy the appropriate aftermarket items at point of kit purchase.

My current stash size is about 75 - so to keep tabs of what I have, I've constructed a spreadsheet with all the kits, plus their associated add-ons and the whereabouts of each.

When I start a new kit, the first thing to do is to consult said oracle and accumulate all the extras I purchased for it.

If I've been particularly efficient (happens about 50% of the time) I'll have actually put the aftermarket goodies in the box of the kit ready for use. 

The challenge comes when you have multiple duplicates (I have five Airfix 1:24 Mk.IX Spitfires in the stash*) and you have to make sure you have the basics (e.g. canopy masks) for all of them!

*I want to build early/late/e-wing versions, plus MH434 as she is currently and a Mk.XVI bubbletop conversion!