Models in the closet

ChrisS

I looked in my closet this weekend, and while I know I don't have it half as bad as some of you, why on earth do I have 4-5 years worth of builds in my closet?

What in the name of all that is sane am I doing hoarding unbuilt models when my build rate is so slow?

This may or may not be the case for some folks, but these closet kits feel like they make me a little bit insane. They sit there in the dark waiting for me. While it's not a big deal at all, that creates some ammount of pressure and I'm wondering why I foster it.

I could build a kit, finish it, then buy a new one and repeat the process. But right now I have a list of kits I'll "be getting to" that I can't really keep straight in my mind. Do I do the tbolts, THEN the MiG? Should I blast out the Wildcat and then settle into the Lightning? How much of this sillyness keeps me from finishing whats on my bench right now?

I seriously have considered selling EVERYTHING I have that doesn't have a direct relation to completing the model on my bench right now. I can't imagine that would be a detriment to my focus.

I recognize the feeling that I get when I grab a new kit. The potential is so warm and fuzzy. But 2 years later the thing is collecting dust. Did I spend the cash for that little tingly fix and not even realize that the kit won't be built for a few years...and maybe not at all (by me)?

Ok ok...ranting shoes off. But I am seriously thinking I'm gonna blow it all out soon and buy/build one-at-a-time.

Thoughts?

Hi Chris,

Same story here.I got a smaller pile of kits(30) waiting to be build.I even have modern plane kits that I know I will never make.I only do WW-2.

I just get them when I can at a cheap price to sell later with a small profit or as a trade item.

On average I make 7 models a year,but that's just OOB.So it doesn't take that long to complete.

Most of my pile are doubles .One in a while I go to a convention to try and sell some.But 32 nd scale doesn't sell that well. :(

Greetings

OK, Chris, back away from the closet...relax...

I don't know, maybe we need to start a support group of something.

But if you only have about 5 years of kits in the closet, I don't think you are ready to join the group. For instance, you still can get your models in the closet! I have models stuffed in my 'modeling closet', which is the room I have my modeling desk in. I probably have 150 to 200 models in there, or about 10 years worth. Then there is the models in the rented storage space (no, it isn't just for models), about 300 models there or 20 years worth, the models in the shop - actually most of those are for future sale - and the models in the outside shed, about 20 or 5 years worth!

Of course my problem is thrice fold as I have 20 years of AFV kits, 20 years of aircraft kits, and 10 years of scifi/car/ship kits to build!!

Why do I have so many? I guess I know I will never build them all, but I figure I will cover my bases as 5 or ten years from now, when I decide I want to build than 1/32nd Frankle Gnatter that was only in production for 3 days, I will have it on the shelf!

I guess the other reason is I remember the early 80's when there was virtually no new kits and it seemed very little in production. It was very, very hard to find what you wanted. So I typically get while the getting is good. Someday it will probably be another slow time for modelers and I will be happily reducing the pile.

Of course, my other problem is I also have the Edpart PE set for that Gnatter, and the WhiteBox cockpit set, and the resin replacement wheels...

A 10x30 storage, approximately 2/3rds filled with unbuilt 1:48th & 1:32nd WWII a/c kits, detail kits & literature, plus Star Trek kits of all shapes & sizes. Finally, a narrow alley down the center to get through to the rest of the storage to get to the Harley-Davidson & Triumph basket cases that occupy the final third of the storage, that's just the storage, the view is not much better in my house or garage. And you think you may be obsessed ?

:(

Chris,

U'er lucky u just are looking in u'er closet and thinking,HOW and WHY?I got about 100 kits and some built ones that have to be redone,BIG time.And with all the built ups i have,(Got A BIG Basment).I'm starting to run out of room.And with five 32nd scale bombers.Where will these go.And yes.I should get a hangar,for all of it.But that's the fun part of the hobby.To look and see what one has done,in say the last few years of building and displaying what one has built.

And with all the intel and books and decals and the parts ,that iahve for the guys who need them.Sometimes,i wish i never saw a model.But,to enjoy and to have u'er fears and etc.is a wonder,that we ALL,don't go crazy at what wew do.Larry

Hi,

I've plenty of stacks of unbuilt models and my wife consider me insane. Many of them I will not build in a lifetime, but they're here.

Let's consider that we are living in a golden age for modeler's: you can find everything on e-bay, each year we have new kits, also in 1/32, and internet is a strong connection between modeler's; we (I'm not alone) remember the '80s though, and also the '90s when you could hardly find the models you were looking for. I remember long voyages only to dig out out-of-production boxes around the country, a life on the road, a la jack keruak, to get hold of arcane models, views of old toyshops' basements really stuffed of treasures.

But I have to say that the eve of pleasure could not last forever, and the old "reserve" could be of help for us and the fellow modelers.

In the early '60 there was a golden age, the aurora eve, then we had the Airfix eve,when you could find kits in nearly every shop, but now the model shops are thinning out and I don't know how long these magic moments will last.

May be I'll never complete one of the stacked models, also since I prefer to scratchbuild obscure types, but I'm happy to know they're there.

er me

Well after a trip into the city on Saturday I have one more to the collection, the Hase 109G...that makes about a year worth...if I keep this up ill have as many as you guys within that year heehee...

My gf decided to come with me, big mistake as I did say to her "you'll get bored fast and I'm going to use you to help carry everything" heehee.

Got some Aussie decals for the mustang im building...not to mention some putty to fill up the bad seams...

Hope springs eternal to quote some wag. What with all the new releases I can hardly keep up. I'm not bothered so much by what is happening and am pleasantly pleased. It has forced many of the aftermarket providers to hop to and get going or be left behind. I remember when the A-10 Warthog was released and not so far behind was the Cutting Edge cockpit. Not only was it right on accurate, I think it pretty much cornered the market since it was first. I was just like a number of you guys looking for that hard to find obscure piece and my output was small. But now, we are living in the lap of luxury, so to speak. I just got my new Trump. P-38 and even though I may not build it for two years or so, I know that the time spent waiting to build it will be worth it as the books, decals, and aftermarket that follows it will come. Trump. has forced the hand of the other manufacturers to get busy. If they don't, it will own the 1/32 scale market. I saw the trend coming and have been trading my old stash away for new kits. I may be down to about a hundred, but I think it will be a hundred can build in my lifetime. Unless Trump. goes crazy and issues everything 1/32 that one could build. I just can't see myself building a P-37 or a P-50.

I think piling kits is just only another facet of AMS -)

I went back to large airplane kits more or less three years ago and have already stored more than sixty kits (without any WW1, WW2 japanese, T-bolt or Russian jet planes)! Thanks to the web, I found all the rare kits I've been looking for rather quickly!

I've also some hundreds books and magazines bought for thirty years. And I don't even want to think to the hundreds of AFVs and resin figures stored in my old bedroom in my mum's house!!!

As others said, I spent hundreds of hours chasing rare stuff in shops or during modelling exhibitions. Now, the web offer more options (but this has a cost: prices are ususally higher and you pay the post & packing). I will probably build ten or twenty percents of this stuff but at least, I won't go crazy to find the X or Y kit when I'll want to build it. Just look at some prices on e-bay and you'll quickly understand what I mean...

I'm building my house right now and allocated one room for my library and modelling closet. I'm also considering creating a storage room under the roof of my future garage...

My wife think I'm seriously ill (but she's a shrink!)... Go figure

Hey Chris,

I too, have this same aversion to "hoarding" kits. For lack of anything better to say or use as a reason/excuse, I'll just say that I'm attributing it to age.

When I was younger, I bought a kit and started the build the same day and continued the build into the wee hours of the morning, which wasn't a big problem having become accustomed to pulling "all-nighters" while studying for college finals.

Things settled down after college and I started taking a different approach to my modeling. I thought to myself; "I could now spread out as I pleased and use any room in the house that I choose to since "I" was now making the mortgage payment"! Ah yes, one room for building and another for painting... the perfect modelers paradise, right? Well; yes it was, until I decided to say two little words... "I DO"!! Not realizing that I had invited a sinister presence into my home (which we'll refer to as the "she-devil" :angry:) I continued with my present modeling endeavors while still basically pulling "all-nighters" and shouting expletives when things didn't go just the way I'd planned, while in the process waking up the whole house... including the "she-devil! After a few years, the she-devil grew horrific fangs, horns, and scales, which ultimately allowed her to banish me into a small bedroom on the opposite end of the house. Yet, I "trudged" on in my little dungeon, as I tried ever so gallantly to improve my modeling skills. Then my modeling took yet another turn bringing me in-touch with what I sometimes call the "Prozac-world" of the DETAIL MODELER!! After seeing another side of modeling (i.e. the insane methods used in detailing) I decided it was time to "up-the-ante" and try my hand at this wonderful thing known as detailing. By this time the "she-devil" had accepted the simple fact that I was now legally crazy and I was basically left to my vices.

My first and only (to this point) accomplishment in this wonderful world of detailing was an old Airfix 1/24 scale Bf-109E "Emil". All this took place before the Internet, leading me to believe that I had this thing licked for sure. Then along came the Internet, and LSP, Modeling Madness, Hyperscale, etc. Honey... where's my Prozac?!

It didn't take long to figure out that I wasn't where I wanted to be with my modeling skills and a few places I didn't care to be either! Er...ummm, sorry Rodney... but I doubt if I'll EVER be the accomplished modeler that you are :(; yet I'm O.K. with that. But I knew I wasn't where I personally wanted to be! So, thinking I was an accomplished bargain hunter, after years of tutelage by the she-devil to "mold" me into a CD or money market account, I began buying more 1/24 scale and a few 1/32 scale kits and yes even new kits when they entered the market. Now, I needed "nitroglycerine" tablets for my heart with the price new 1/24 scale kits were fetching :blink:! Yet every-once-in-a-while, I would find a good buy and I was on it like a fly on... well, er...umm "Poop" :huh:?! "Next thing ya know ole' Dave's a millionaire... stacks of model kits, bubbling CA glue, sanding blocks, air brush and compressor. Well the she-devil said: "you gotta' move away from here, so I load up my arms and moved it all upstairs, the attic that is" dried up glue and paints, dust and heat."

Yep, that's my story Chris and there-in lies my "reason/excuse" for ALL those kits I have acquired over the years and that I haven't touched in some time except to move them from the attic into a climate controlled closet! When we bought our new home there were white walls EVERYWHERE and NO place for a 40-year-old kid to continue his "chosen" hobby. More than ever the desire to start modeling again "is" present. The desire to "best" my best effort and honestly move my modeling skills to a new level have my mind wondering what I can buy next to help improve the kits I already have in my collection. But at SOME POINT I plan to either build a spot for modeling or face the fact that I will have to face the she-devil in battle to conquer a bedroom in our home for use as "MY" modeling room!

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it... ;)

BlueMax

Well I too have what is possibibly a lifetime waiting in the wings, I dont get any of them to resell and I plan to build everyone of them! right now it takes Me anywhere from one month to a year to complete one depending on how hard( how much has to be scratched) and how much time i have to spend, with each kit I always put as much into it as My current ability allows no matter how long it takes and I dont really worry about My next build till the current ones done, but! I always surf the net and buy whatever I think I would ever want to build and that makes it fun when I have to pick whats next, right now Iam 44 and plan on retiring (from my regular job) around 55/59 and I hope at that time I can build my heart out and alot of the kits that you can get now easy you wont then so thats why I do it

Cheers, Bob.

In my case, as I get older I'm becoming more and more aware of my own mortality. :blink: Buying kits (that I know I will never build is) is like buying time.

"Hell yeah! I'm gonna build 'em all before I die! Just you wait and see!"

I know I'm only fooling myself but it feels so good! LOL! :(

g :huh:

"He who dies with the most toys, wins!"

Well, guilty on all counts. I must over over 500 kits. Just about 2 of most 1/32 injection molded kits. A whole lot of 1/72 and a few 1/48 Luft '46 kits. A number of 1/48 Luftwaffe kits "cuz they don't have 'em in 1/32!" and a small number of Sci Fi kits. Man that C-57D from Forbidden Planet is big. It's a coffee table by it's self! I can hardly wait for the 1/350 scale NCC-1701A. Ummmm.... 16" saucer section and 34" overall in length.

I think I buy because like most things, "it'll either go up in price by the time I ever get around to building it or it will be gone when I want to build it only to be reissued god knows when."

Mark H.

I am not a kit collector...

I'm tapping my red shoes together here....

I think acquiring a number of kits and storing them is a rational way to run a hobby.

An exceptional bargain should be taken advantage of.

A limited run kit should be purchased when available.

It is nice to be able to say, "Today I want to build a....." and not have to go to the hobby shop or wait on mail order or worst of all, wait for some rare, limited run kit to be offered for sale by someone who has realized that the cash is worth more than the dream.

I'm paring back my collection by a third because I realized it had grown beyond the bounds of my likely-hood of building. I have to believe that I am a model maker and not a collector of unbuilt kits in order to be satisfied in this hobby.

I have a friend with well over 300 unbuilt 1/48th scale kits, and I guess for him, the aquisition is satisfaction enough.

It is all an individual thing, although I met a guy with (he claimed) over 1,400 models. He hadn't built anything in years but was computerizing his inventory system.

I can't help but feel that he had strayed so far from the hobby that his satisfaction level had to be diminished. I dunno?

But hey, its not just unbuilt models!!

Does anyone else have literally BOXES of spare parts for potential scrap building projects? I have actually purchased built models and incomplete kits for parts!

My 300 model friend doesn't have anything like that laying around!

I'm a builder not just a buyer,

Mike