1/24 Royal Navy Sea Mosquito TR33

PhilB

This is the 1/24th Airfix kit converted to a post-war TR33 using the Alleycat conversion.

Build is here: Big Stuff

The Tr33 came about from an Admiralty spec for a carrier borne twin engined strike aircraft.

It was based on the Mosquito FBVI but after initial trials had uprated RR Merlin 25's fitted and four bladed props giving an extra 10% of thrust.

The original rubber compression landing gear was replaced with Lockheed pneumatic oleos and smaller wheels.

The rear horizontal stabs were made larger and the fuse strengthened and a hook added.

They could carry an 18" torpedo, or depth charges or a 2000lb ap bomb in addition to internal and external 500lb bombs.

The machine guns were removed to allow for the ASH radar in the nose but the cannons were retained.

It saw limited service being really a stop gap until the arrival of the smaller and faster Sea Hornet.

This scheme is an aircraft from 790 Naval Air Squadron, based at H.M.S Seahawk , Culdrose in Cornwall in 1948.

All roundels, fin flashes and radiator panel warning crosses are courtesy of Ian at Ad Astra, the remainder of the markings being masks included in the conversion and a few kit decal stencils thrown into the pot.

Paints were a mixture of MM, White Ensign and Humbrol enamels.

Few pics from the build:

Instrument panel and radar scope.

P2162984.jpg

Cockpit sides.

P3153137.jpg

P3153138.jpg

Lot of scratchbuilding in the wheel wells including scratchbuilt retraction jack brace and mounting.

P5093291.jpg

Added wiring for the gear doors mechanisms.

P7073489.jpg

Back in a minute with completed build pics.

Phil

Edited by PhilB

Yessss, more pictures!

I love the walkaround ^_^

Pure pleasure to watch, Phil! It was a great WIP thread and the culmination doesn't disappoint ;) .

You built a beautiful airplane, details are head spinning, flawless execution. It was really fun to follow and informative too! Thanks! I had a blast!

:m0152:

:bow: :bow: :clap2: :clap2:

Hard to think of something original to say other than :wow: :thumbsup: :clap2: :bow:

I am amazed at how clean you are able to build and have everything turn out looking perfect! I make such a huge mess and have to redo things multiple times to get them to look right, and you get it done straight away!

Looking forward to seeing you tackle that 1/32 Mossie now :)

Cheers,

Doug

Super beautifull realistic model, congrats.

And Neo, the pipes are RATO "pipes": Rocket Assisted Take Off, in order to get this beast airborn from a carrier at sea....