Photo

Tamiya F-15C Kicked Up A Notch- Dec 1/17: DONE!

• Please log in to reply
1172 replies to this topic

#16 chuck540z3

chuck540z3

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 02:39 PM

Thanks for the encouragement Guys!  This should be fun- and loooong.

Oh yeah. This should be worth following. Count me in.

I think you'll enjoy this kit Chuck but remember that it is n't the latest generation of Tamiya kits so the engineering is n't quite as flawless. Some care is needed around the upper wing join when you get that far. I suspect that you may require a shim or possibly, dare I say it, some filler.....

There are one or two areas that will require modification as you are correct when you say that this kit is based largely on the Strike Eagle.

The F-15E has six small oval chimneys on the upper surface near the engines where there is only one on the F-15C.

The main wheels are narrower on the Charlie and the front gear wheel fork is a rounded section rather than the chunkier square section on the Mudhen. Also, that front wheel support is too long leaving too much air visible at the top of the wheel. The correction is to shorten that arm but this would result in a crouched pose unless the oleo is extended a little. Something to think about at least.

The JFS exhaust is the much older style with the louvres across it. Check your reference photos to see whether your bird has the common open exhaust or this older style. If it does have the newer version then your model would look better with that mod performed.

I'm looking forward to seeing how you kick this up a notch but be warned, the Eagle is my favourite aircraft of all time so no nonsense or you'll be for it! :fight:

:innocent:

:)

Thanks for the tips Guy.  I knew about some of them, but not all of them.  I have the narrower wheels/tires coming from Parts-R-Parts.  PM on its way.

Hi there Chuck lovely choice my man..

I was wondering about those wolfpack pylons and adapters as well. I have the same set, alas since I don't have the cam amraams, I was wondering if I could use tamiya's F16 ones? Or are those totally different puppies?

Cheers

Fred

Hi Fred,

According to Jake Melampy who wrote the Modern Eagle Guide, the Tamiya F-16 launchers will work, but then what do you use when you build the F-16 kit?  Hard decision.

Aggressor Eagle !!! Thats great and cant wait to see the progress on this one. One question...do you need 1:48 part of decals, if not can we make some deal for them ? Oh one more thing , can i repost your walkaround photos to my Aggressor/Adversary facebook group ?

Sorry sir, but they are already spoken for (Chris in Edmonton)!  All of my walkaround pics are public, so use whatever pic you want wherever you want.

Looking forward to another one Chuck! Your photography and sharing always make your posts special, and I'm grateful to you for sharing!

I will make one suggestion--ditch any ordnance and load her up with the ACMI / NCTS pod. More importantly, (not sure if they're even made, BUT I know you could make one with your skills) put some sort of self protect jammer on there. ALQ-131, ACAP, etc

Looking forward to it!
-Peter

Right now I'm going with what I see on this jet, which is an ACMI pod on the starboard wing (Two Mikes for now), an inert AIM-9X on the port side wing (Zactomodels) and maybe one of these AN/ALQ-188 Jamming Pods on the belly (Aires).  Wolfpack makes one too, but you can't go wrong with Aires.

On F-16 Aggressor

F-16AGG-1.jpg

Edited by chuck540z3, 18 February 2016 - 02:41 PM.

• dmthamade, Rocat, Martinnfb and 4 others like this

Current Challenge:  1/32 Tamiya Spitfire Mk IXc

BsOXKZ.jpg

#17 alain11

alain11

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 04:16 PM

Hi 

Yeeeees, an other fu..ing crazy forthcoming build ....I 'll stay connected ...................................

Alain

#18 alaninaustria

alaninaustria

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,354 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 08:11 PM

Damn! Looks good!
Cheers
Alan

#19 ScoobyDoo

ScoobyDoo

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 12:34 AM

I look forward to this Chuck!

#20 kike_gt

kike_gt

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 01:14 AM

I'm in as usual Chuck! great subject! I would have loved to see you tackling a japanesse aggressor maybe after the Ra'am? anyway this is gonna be one long learning and fun journey!

Thanks God you didn't take too long to come back! I kinda need to follow any of your progress since I learn a lot!

• MARU5137 likes this

#21 chuck540z3

chuck540z3

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 02:33 AM

Thanks a lot guys for your interest in my build threads!  

One of the reasons I like to document my progress in a modeling project is that I write magazine articles for Fine Scale Modeler after I finish a model.  The last few weeks I put together an article of my P-38L build and it was pretty easy to go over all the WIP pages and pluck out pics and descriptions of what I did and why I did it to put the article together.  Without the build thread to refer to, especially after a year or more since the start of the model, I really wouldn't have a clue where to start.  Going over my progress of that model over the last 14 months can be a real eye opener, because you forget all the little things you did along the way- good and bad- before the model was finally finished.  No, I did NOT include the melt-down of the nose of the P-38 in my article, using GOOP as an adhesive to hold lead nose weight!  Some things in modeling are best kept secret, so only some of you guys will know.

The other reason I like to do these threads is that I think it makes me a better modeler.  By taking detailed photographs, especially super close-ups that reveal all construction and painting sins, it forces you to try and do better.  I can't count the number of times I thought I had accomplished something pretty special, but after taking close-up pics I found that I hadn't done a very good job at all, so I redid the build step until I got it looking right or at least better.

Getting back to my P-38L thread, one thing that I found annoying when going through my progress was that I filled that thread with a lot of non-P38 items like pics of other builds and a few tips and tricks I've learned along the way- and continue to learn about.  While I was given praise for doing so now and again from those who found them interesting, I can imagine that others found it annoying as well, so I'll try to tone this thread down a bit to only those things that are F-15 related to keep things on track.  I doubt that I'll actually pull this off, but I'll try!

One last thought is something I've mentioned many times before.  I do enjoy feedback very much, even "attaboys" now and then, but I don't like to respond to each and every response unless there's a question.  I will answer any and all questions to the best of my ability, but I find that build threads full of pages and pages of individual responses are as annoying to sift through as all my stupid tips!  No offense to those who like post this way, since we all have our individual preferences and, hey, it's your build thread!  For those of you who frequent ARC as well as LSP, you may notice that I am not posting this build over at ARC at the same time, as I did for the P-38L.  I found that posting the same stuff to two different forums made a big job all that much bigger and I found it to be a real PITA.  This time I chose to pick one, which is obviously here at LSP.  I have not "left" ARC at all, but I will post less frequently in the "In-Progress Forum", at least for now.

Cheers,

Chuck

• dmthamade, harvey and MARU5137 like this

BsOXKZ.jpg

#22 Dragon

Dragon

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 03:20 AM

Chuck,

It's great you chose this forum to do this build thread! Looking forward to it.

Mike

• dmthamade and harvey like this

#23 Tomcat14

Tomcat14

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 03:25 AM

Oh Boy Chuck, you just made my day sir, have been wanting someone to build and aggressor like this in a while. I will be following this build real close and I know you won't disapoint on your spectacular builds.

Chris.

#24 kike_gt

kike_gt

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 05:02 AM

I do like a lot your tip posts, cause that's the whole reason I visit forums, I try to stay in my corner quiet unless there's something I'd like to ask or cause it's absolutely necessary to say at least something when the update desserves it, the same way for replies for every update, if I don't have anything to ask I just don't post but I look every single one of them, the point is, some of us will miss those big and useful posts with tips, you might find it annoying but IMHO, beside the great modeling stuff, your tips are what make your "kicked up a notch" threads something special and out of the ordinary, just my two cents

• MARU5137 likes this

#25 Zero77

Zero77

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 09:15 AM

Cool ! It will definitely be interesting to follow !

F-15C_AGG23.jpg

That's just a bit of the rubber mold stuck in the resin when they released the part. :)

• harvey, jgrease, MARU5137 and 1 other like this

Following the big Photobucket rip-off attempt, all my pictures on the forum cannot display anymore. I try to reupload the RFI pictures, but i'm not sure i'd have enough time and energy to reupload the pictures of the WIP threads. If you're interested in a specific subject and want me to reupload some pictures, just let me know. :) 

Finished : F-16C Barak, F-4J VMF333, Czech Mig-19PM, Bell X-1, Russian Su-25 in Chechnya, Ta152H-1, Czech Avia S.199, Heinkel He162, Swiss AF Bf109G-6, Regia Aeronautica Bf109G-6, P-47D "Slick Chick", RFC Sopwith Pup, A5M2 Claude, Schneider Cup 1926 Macchi M.39, German F-104G JaboG34, Curtiss P-6E, Curtiss P-36A USAAC, Piper SuperCub floatplane (PA-18-150), Russian built Nieuport 11, Albatros D.Va Seefrontstaffel 1, Bf109G-12 (two-seater trainer), Texas ANG F-86D,  Post-war Hawker Tempest Mk.V

#26 chuck540z3

chuck540z3

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 04:44 PM

That's just a bit of the rubber mold stuck in the resin when they released the part. :)

Apparently it's stuck to all the Aggressor Eagles, even the Desert camo ones!

5Desert.jpg

• Rocat, stusbke, harvey and 1 other like this

BsOXKZ.jpg

#27 dmthamade

dmthamade

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,399 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 12:44 PM

Hello Chuck!! Great to see you take on the big Eagle. I've done five of these kits, have to say there are a few fit gremlins. This is an older Tamiya kit and it doesn't have the precise fit of their newer kits, nothing you won't be able to fix. Can't imagine the workload posting on two forums was like, glad you chose LSP to post your great WIP!!

Don

#28 Ironwing

Ironwing

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,074 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 01:43 PM

Yea Boi!

If you're building this big ass bird..
I'm watching!

Geoff
" We choose to do these things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard...
John Kennedy

#29 A-10LOADER

A-10LOADER

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 05:35 PM

Great to see you back Chuck, another masterpiece in the making. Very much looking forward to following this one.

Steve

OPERATION "DELIBERATE GUARD", "SOUTHERN WATCH", "ENDURING FREEDOM" AND, "IRAQI FREEDOM" VETERAN.

#30 logical

logical

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 06:05 PM

Looks a great build in the making. I have one in the stash with an Aires cockpit.
I don't buy models. I'm an investor.

If you are an investor you needn't feel you are committing a sin. You are engaged in a business.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users