1/32 Trumpeter P-51B Mustang with Aerocraft corrections

Here is my new project.

This is not an innocent kit, but unfortunately it is the only option available.

It needs a lot of corrections and upgradings for a good result. 

The necessary aftermarket sets are ready. Next is the mental preparation and it is nearly completed

I hope to finish this project without screwing it up.

01.jpg

02.jpg

02A.jpg

02AA.webp

02AB.webp

02B.jpg

02D.jpg

02E.jpg

02C.jpg

7 hours ago, ROM said:

nice project! have fun

Thanks

7 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Cool project, Tolga! I've read that the Aires wheel bay is actually more appropriate for a P-51A, ironically. I have one also, but I'm not sure whether to use it on my Trumpeter kit, or save it for the Hobbycraft one.

Good luck with yours!

Kev

Thanks Kev

Yes, the center section of the Aires set seems more suitable for P-51A. However, since I will keep the center wheel well covers closed, this part will not be visible. My main goal is the walls in the visible part. I wanted to use this set to eliminate this inaccuracy

I'm not sure how well this set will fit Hobbycraft early Mustangs. It seems like there isn't enough space.

05.jpg

06.jpg

Hi Tolga

cool project

i guess you either make your peace with the ‘imperfections’ in the Trumpy kit or you wait possibly forever for someone else to make one

i have this kit and some aftermarket; whilst I cannot remember all the ‘easy win’ corrections out there from various aftermarket, I seem to recall Trumpy goofed the area behind the pilot’s head, and that maybe Aires / Quickboost do something for this??

anyway, Shangri-La is a nice colourful choice, and very well photographed; it changed its appearance I believe ie the markings evolved over time, so it depends how detail oriented you want to be?

many of the pics - including the ones you posted - show some super cool weathering on the fuselage and wing roots! It will be fun to try to replicate these.

As to the elimination of rivets, what are you using?

I remember for my Tamiya Mustang trying to cover it with gallons and gallons of rattle can Mr Surfacer (500 maybe, or might have been 1000?) and it taking forever; the MS just conformed to the surface too well. I am undecided on how to proceed when I next make one of these.

Anyway, best of luck with your project; will be following on.

Nick

1 hour ago, nmayhew said:

Hi Tolga

cool project

i guess you either make your peace with the ‘imperfections’ in the Trumpy kit or you wait possibly forever for someone else to make one

Yes, 

I have been waiting for years for a beautiful and accurate P-51B to be released. But this is no different than waiting for Godot. Finally, I was a little hopeful when ZM announced that it would release the P-51 Mustang (not a D). But it looks like this will be an Allison engine Mustang.
I gave up and decided to build the existing Trumpy kit as presentable as I could.

i have this kit and some aftermarket; whilst I cannot remember all the ‘easy win’ corrections out there from various aftermarket, I seem to recall Trumpy goofed the area behind the pilot’s head, and that maybe Aires / Quickboost do something for this??

I'm using Aires' set for the cockpit, it doesn't look bad.

For the Rear Doghouse canopy, which is the big problem, I will use the transparent resin set produced by Alistair. I'm sure this will make a good and positive contribution

anyway, Shangri-La is a nice colourful choice, and very well photographed; it changed its appearance I believe ie the markings evolved over time, so it depends how detail oriented you want to be?

many of the pics - including the ones you posted - show some super cool weathering on the fuselage and wing roots! It will be fun to try to replicate these.

As to the elimination of rivets, what are you using?

I remember for my Tamiya Mustang trying to cover it with gallons and gallons of rattle can Mr Surfacer (500 maybe, or might have been 1000?) and it taking forever; the MS just conformed to the surface too well. I am undecided on how to proceed when I next make one of these.

I started with sandpaper and tamiya basic putty. We will see the result

Anyway, best of luck with your project; will be following on.

Nick

Thanks a lot Nick

1 hour ago, geedubelyer said:

Hi Tolga. 

Those are great reference photos. Look at how dirty and beaten up his aircraft is. A weatherer's delight! Beautiful :wub:

I'm looking forward to seeing how this one turns out. 

Good luck.

Cheers.

Thanks

51 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

Wouldn’t it be nice to have a decent 1/32 P-51B, perhaps if we all wish together it will happen. Ready, one- two-three:  GO.

While I’m waiting I’ll watch yours.

John

PS: I do have a Hobbycraft Mustang 1A but it’s not quite the same.

I agree the same

Thanks

15 minutes ago, rafju said:

Hi Tolga

I don't know if a Hasegawa front cowl top fits easily, but it would be a good improvement.

Thanks

I have no idea about this and I also do not own this kit from Hasegawa.

Personally, after trying to use a Trumpeter kit in the past, I gave up on it. I did a conversion using the Revell D/some parts from other places, and got reasonable results.
Tolga, you are doing a nice bit of work with this. Looking forward to seeing your final results.