1:18 Scale B-17G Flying Fortress Forward Fuselage

HK could definitely learned a thing or two from you!!!! I don't know if it's an optical illusion but does the exterior surface exhibit "ripples/flat spots" from the printing process/skin thickness? It looks as though it's not a smooth continuous contour...... if so, that's a very happy coincidence! :) 

Fantastic work Pat!

Craig

On 2/2/2024 at 4:19 PM, brahman104 said:

HK could definitely learned a thing or two from you!!!! I don't know if it's an optical illusion but does the exterior surface exhibit "ripples/flat spots" from the printing process/skin thickness? It looks as though it's not a smooth continuous contour...... if so, that's a very happy coincidence! :) 

Fantastic work Pat!

Craig

Thanks Craig, yes the skin is affected from the formers and stringers that are much thicker than the skin. Working on this right now is literally"walking on egg shells" I have to mindful how I handle the main components and NO DROPPING....

Thanks again,

Pat

Made some milestones in the last couple days,First, I managed to draw and print the Bombardier's clear nose, it came out almost perfect on the first shot. I have to try and get some slightly better ones later on but we're pretty much there...

kb5OcoX.jpg

LcEKR65.jpg

07PGXQ1.jpg

Next was the throttle pedestal, I kept studying this assembly and thought that I could print it as one piece and it worked to my suprise !!!

Sometimes you get lucky... for now...

Pat

2J3No33.jpgzeUBVl7.jpgmLe78Re.jpg0lUl3IY.jpg8r9kvPj.jpgF6nikGz.jpgPYUVuIL.jpg3oFlLIq.jpg

Continuing the brilliance Pat! Can I just clarify that you printed the nose cone? The clarity is incredible!!!!!! Ahhh, I remember that pedestal..... one of my first forays into CAD work...... had gaps EVERYWHERE!!! I'm surprised it printed at all :D. Needless to say, yours is much better!!!!!

How thick is the skin out of interest? 

Exceptional as always!

Craig

15 hours ago, brahman104 said:

Continuing the brilliance Pat! Can I just clarify that you printed the nose cone? The clarity is incredible!!!!!! Ahhh, I remember that pedestal..... one of my first forays into CAD work...... had gaps EVERYWHERE!!! I'm surprised it printed at all :D. Needless to say, yours is much better!!!!!

How thick is the skin out of interest? 

Exceptional as always!

Craig

Thank you Craig, The nose is a vacuum formed piece, I printed the pattern to form it over, wish I could print in clear...

I'm not sure if your asking about the skin thickness of the  print or the aluminum that I intend to cover it with, anyway the skin on the printed parts is about .020-.030 thick and the aluminum covering will be .005.

Thanks again,

Pat

This entire project is insanely good.  :bow:.  We should have a separated forum just mentioning the effect This make's everyone Jealous.

Not what you purchased, but what can be done in this hobby.  I would love to see this in A Bit o' Lace or Milk Wagon....endless possibilities.  

On 2/6/2024 at 8:11 AM, patricksparks said:

I managed to draw and print the Bombardier's clear nose, it came out almost perfect on the first shot. I have to try and get some slightly better ones later on but we're pretty much there...

kb5OcoX.jpg

Pat - as you probably know I am struggling with my own 3D printed transparencies.  May I ask what resin you used for the nose glass?  It looks wonderful.

Wait!  Never mind.  I just saw your newer post.  

Edited by JayW

Got the upper turret frame drawn up this morning and got a print made, looks pretty good so far, I also made a file for a vacuum form pattern that I have to print, I'll be cutting the vac-form up into individual panes to put into the frame and then aluminum strips over both the printed frame and petg pieces.

Pat

4ItGOFY.jpg

Z8PsA2u.jpg

u5Lgjqd.jpg

OvN0HXB.jpg