1:18 Scale B-17G Flying Fortress Forward Fuselage

16 hours ago, brahman104 said:

You are my modelling hero Pat!!!!!! What an epic project! Can't wait to see more :) 

Craig

Thank you Craig, I have to tell you that I have drawn alot of knowledge from your B-17C build and my D that still lingers.. All the work that was done on those two still lingers in my memory all the shapes and things that go on in the B-17's nose that most don't realize until you actually start to build one from the ground up !!!, it's tricky but obtainable.

Thanks,

Pat

21 hours ago, JayW said:

Pat!!  WOW!!  Awesome.  Following.  So many questions.  Here is one - what are you using for definition of the parts?  Aircorps Library?  What is your CAD program?  What resin are you using?

Thank you Jay, and really enjoying your progress on the  P-51 !!!

For my parts drawing I have used some Aircorps Library, some HK models checks for basic cockpit sizes(not super accurate, I know). I don't plan on making this model super detail accurate, if I did I would probably loose my focus quickly, I,m starting to get like a dog with squirrels near by...

I plan to do just enough detail so when you look in the windows there's something there to ponder, and want to focus on the exterior finish more.

The CAD that I use is Alibre Atom, I have their lower end program, I am self taught and got started a few years ago with the help of one of the engineers that I had worked with, he started to show me how to use Solid Works. Alibre Atom is extremely identical to it, less expensive. I struggle with it though because I have the lower end product which doesn,t have "mess & spline" features to make more organic shapes, maybe one day I'll spring for the upgrade !!!

The resin that I use is the Siraya Tech Fast, I have been using this for years now and find it very good and less expensive than mant others, highly recommend it, also I have bought some Siraya Tech's "Blu Tough" and used it so far to print some 1:9 scale Abrams tank track links and road pads for an RC project., seems pretty durable and prints with good detail, it is also much less expensive than other brands, but I can't vouch for how much stronger the other brands are.

Hope this helps,

Pat

A little update, I have printed some preliminary seat frames with the armor plates for the flight deck, they need a little tweeking, but pretty good.. I just happened to have a 21st century 1:18 scale pilot figure which has movable joints, which I never thought about how much it can help to get a real image of how things fit together..sizes look pretty good so far.. I had some old printed cockpit parts that were a free download for a RC B-17, instrument panel, throttles they are ok but I have aready drawn a new panel and will also draw a throttle set up to fit better and a bit more detail...I finally got the chin turret drawn and printed, pretty good but I need to tweek it a bitdiameter needs to be reduced slightly which I can do in the slicing program but I also need to open the barrel ports slightly..

enjoy,

Pat

4zqtQoE.jpg

itbJMUh.jpg

Abc2GOB.jpg2r6Btzs.jpg

GCZamKl.jpgjRBAQxE.jpg

d8D91BA.jpg

biWYNa2.jpggk6NyHA.jpg

uHG2dMa.png

Edited by patricksparks