Thoughts about Possible Future Kotare Releases - NOT a wishlist

MikeC

In all the previous speculation threads, there was one notable absentee; a Bf 109K-4. Apparently the owner of Kotare had a list of seventy subjects, and the Spitfire wasn't on it, so thankfully the next release is impossible to predict, who's to say the next release won't be a F-86E, or an Me 410, or Sea Harrier FRS.1, Hawker Fury, Hellcat, and maybe after the current crop of Spitfire's the next will be a Mk.24.

I wish them all the very best.

I know this subject gets hashed a lot.  Very few givens in the model industry.  Maybe a few:

. Model kit companies have to be difficult to keep profitable, especially if they keep their subjects constrained within certain genres.  Probably exponentially so for less common scales.  Hard to imagine stacking the deck against oneself much more from a profitability stand point than diving into 1/32 aircraft subjects.

. Making a kit of a subject previously not covered at all or previously covered with a poor quality kit will likely get a company only so far.  The company HAS to make a subjects that generate enough volume/revenue to sustain itself.  
.  109’s sell.  Spitfires sell.  Anyone who frequents model forums long enough knows this.  Any other subjects?  Definitely maybe…

The SO WHAT of this is:

Launching a model kit company takes GUTs, maybe a bit of insanity, and, if you are producing 1/32 kits straight away…passion.  I will buy Kotare kits simply to show my support for a venture I want to succeed, regardless of subject.   Now I’m off to my dart board to determine what they will make next.

Edited by Pete G.
Clarification

46 minutes ago, esarmstrong said:

A Wish-list, by any other name, is still a Wish-list.

Inevitably, even if we try and get into the Kotare mindset and ignore personal favourites, there is a tendency for our own desires to slip in.  

It's at this juncture that somebody usefully points out the complete absurdity of this discussion by suggesting a 1:32 Lockheed C-5 Galaxy. 

Tony 

1 hour ago, esarmstrong said:

A Wish-list, by any other name, is still a Wish-list.

8 minutes ago, thierry laurent said:

Well, there MAY be a difference between what we wish and what we think they can probably release!

And that's the point.  This topic is really twofold: "Please ignore your own wishes and think about it, given what you know about the model market"; and "Do you think MikeC is spot-on with his anaysis, so far off-track he's barely visble, or somewhere in between?"

3 minutes ago, D.B. Andrus said:

What screaming gap is out there in the 1/32 world that Kotare could exploit and would be very popular and sell well?

P-51B/C

That's certainly a valid analysis that does coincide with many peoples' wishes. 

20 minutes ago, thierry laurent said:

Well any trainer is "obscure" in comparison with fighters!

And yet they are THE most essential type of all, as without them there wouldn't be any aircrew for any other types.  Odd that they're 'obscure' in model terms, but that's a whole other debate. :)

24 minutes ago, mozart said:

Harvards have been fighters too Thierry….Belgian Congo or thereabouts? 

Harvards or Wirraways? I know there was a Ki-43 kill by a Wirraway but do not remember any other fighter use of a T-6 derivative. In Congo out of my memory they were used for straffing and possibly light bombing. Other ones were used in Africa (Angola, Biafra, Algeria) but always for air to ground (as far as I'm aware).

Having read a large number of threads around this type of thing in recent months, Griffin powered Spitfires/Seafires seem to have a tremendous global appeal, probably because they are great looking airframes.

An obvious hole in the modern 'cool' kit inventory 

A likely candidate I feel.

Edited by CharmyDown