MASTERS is here!

Episode 5 so far the best one, however, I have seen first 4 episodes for couple of times already and I really like it.

I have read the book for 3 times in past 2 years so it’s easy for me to follow the characters and events but I could imagine that for audience without any knowledge of 8th AF  it could be really hard to build connection to main characters

I bought Roger Freeman’s The Mighty Eight at its release in 1970.
I was elated when I heard some 30 years later that Steven Spielberg planned a new series in the Band of Brothers mould called ‘The Mighty Eight’.
The series would be based on ‘The Wild Blue’ by Stephen Ambrose, the same man who wrote the original Band of Brothers book (and also the monumental ‘’D-Day’).

IMG-5289.jpg

Being a fan of both Stephens’, I couldn’t be anything but ecstatic :yahoo:. I waited and waited but the project capsized… until it was replaced in 2024 by Masters of the Air.

By initiating this thread, I have no intention to pitch for Spielberg nor am I on his payroll. I just wanted to share my excitement for what I consider as a long-time dream come true.

But hey again, it’s only me! :rolleyes:
Cheers,

Quang

FYI

Edited by quang

• 3 weeks later...

I think it's safe to say Band of Brothers will never be surpassed or even equalled. I enjoy MOTA, but it lacks....personality. It at times feels like a narrated documentary. German vocabulary seems to be limited to "Los! Schnell!" That Stalag officer, is that Richard Gibson's son? I wanted to love it, but don't. Expectations were high due to BoB, and I recognize that clouds my opninion.

On 1/28/2024 at 11:32 AM, Shoggz said:

The only other slightly ‘odd’ thing was how belligerent the RAF guys were to their U.S.A.A.F. colleagues in episode 2.

Beer, young men facing great danger regularly, desperation of war = some very unfortunate, ill-considered comments. 

Cheers. 

Chris. 

On 2/3/2024 at 9:51 PM, Troy Molitor said:

mighty -17 fort going down in a field totally on fire at a 35 degree angle is also cringe worthy but with survivors! Yes.  Hmmmm.  

Who survived the crash? IIRC, there were only two people left on board and I haven't seen either man in subsequent episodes. I'm pretty sure they were both killed. 

Chris. 

As much as I was enthusiastic about the 5 first episodes, I’m UTTERLY disappointed by Episode 8.
Cardboard characters, Disney-like cgi Mustangs, even the alleged streets of Paris wouldn’t convince an occasional Buryat tourist.

Tuskegee airmen attacking Wehrmacht positions in the Côte d’Azur, probably looking for Brigitte Bardot? C’mon:BANGHEAD2:

I just checked the first 4 episodes (pretty good) were directed by Cary Joji Fukunaga.

Episodes 5&6 (the best IMO) were directed by Ana Boden & Ryan Fleck

Episodes 5&8 (where the series flirted with ridicule) are directed by Dee Rees

The upcoming episode 9 is also directed by Dee Rees.

If it turns out to be as ridiculous as the previous two, we’ll know precisely who’s behind the fiasco. :fight:

I'm certainly in the camp of all the above mentions.   I'm really struggling or wanting to find something to come to all the last three episodes in particular for excitement or for a minimal moral boost at best but, however it just isn't happening.   

Ditto pretty much all of the above.  Seems to me the series gets worse with each episode.  My wife and I have all but sworn off of ANY American/Hollywood produced movie or series made less than ten or twenty years ago in favor of just about any Brit movie or show.  We both think their actors, the level of acting, directing, production, etc are far superior to anything oozing out of Hollywood these days.  We watched Devotion last week and were underwhelmed with its poor acting, odd CGI and obvious agenda.  I suppose it is unfair to expect actors and directors who have never so much as seen the equipment being depicted nor have they ever spoken a word to someone who was actually there doing the work, to be able to recreate any part of the story accurately.  But that never stopped Hollywood and, sadly, many, many who watch Masters of the Air will believe it to be historically accurate whether it is or not.

On 1/28/2024 at 12:47 AM, gunpowder said:

I visited Thorpe Abbots a few years ago. It was the strangest feeling. It felt so familiar to me . I have no idea why. , I have never been there before. It was most odd.

Funny that you mentioned Thorpe Abbots, I visited  in 1978 with a friend and we HAD to leave after about 15 minutes. I  can't really describe the feeling except it felt very menacing. I wasn't the only one either as she felt it too, took about an hour for us to finally shake it off. We went to other old bases but that was the only one that spooked us.