Yak-9T – René CHALLE – Régiment Normandie-Niemen – ICM 1/32

Furie

Posted (edited)

Thank you Richard, Kev, Iain, Jaro and Mike.

Well, the Yak 9 is almost finished.
I gave the whole model a coat of gloss varnish.
I did some very “light” chipping on the wing roots and fuselage.

The photos show a plane with little wear and I tried to reproduce this.

The same goes for the engine exhaust stains, which are barely visible.
At first I wanted to show the aluminum paint, but I changed my mind and settled for a chipping with light gray pencils for all the upper parts of the plane.
The photos were taken during the summer of 1944, and I preferred to reproduce a general dusting with light brown wash in the structural lines and on the parts of the plane in contact with the mechanics and pilots.
After weathering, I fixed these effects with 2 different varnishes to respect and highlight the Yak's multi-material construction:
-the metal parts of the aircraft (spinner/engine section down to the cockpit, the fixed part of the vertical stab and horizontal stab, central part of the underside of the wing, 3 hatches on the aft fuselage) with a semi-matt varnish.
-wood and canvas parts (all control surfaces, top of wings, underside of wings, rear fuselage) with matt varnish.

The overall effect is convincing, even if it's difficult to see on the photos. 

ga3i.jpg

wfmx.jpg

bhk1.jpg

sxlw.jpg

tebm.jpg

cq3b.jpg

kyof.jpg

sfwp.jpg

1p51.jpg

8pqg.jpg

Edited by Furie

Posted (edited)

Thank you Mike and Richard.
I don't know if I've become a Jedi master but I'm no longer on the dark side of the force, that's something!

A bit of work gluing the 2 U/Cs and the wheels, which caused me a lot of trouble.
The ICM instructions aren't very easy to understand, and the U/Cs are difficult to glue and to put in the right position.  
I also removed all the protective tape from the 3 canopies and was unpleasantly surprised to see a lot of glue residue left by the masks.
I used methylated spirits, white spirit and F-gasoline to remove them, but it didn't work.
The only product capable of removing these traces of glue was Glanzer, which contains ammonia and respects the transparency of the parts.
I glued the spinner and its propeller, as well as the antenna mast, which was leaning very far forward.

I made a small white electrical insulator and glued it to the back of the canopy.
And I also made the 2 little indicators that show when the U/Cs are in the out/low position.

I made them with small pieces of white toothbrush and painted the red sections.

The advantage of toothbrush bristles is that they're flexible, so they won't break if I don't grip the model properly.

Next step: glue the 2 antenna wires and install in the display case!

mhxu.jpg

spkd.jpg

cooc.jpg

2d7k.jpg

vkgy.jpg

5cwy.jpg

x90p.jpg

9pia.jpg

our2.jpg

Edited by Furie

Fantastic paint job on a very nice model. Removing the canopy masks for me is always that „Wow“ moment. What a pity you had troubles with removing the clue residue. But your method worked perfectly!

Thanks Mike, Ernest and Borsos.

Yes, when I took off the masks I didn't go "wow !!!" but rather "et merde !!!"...  :o

A little update with the base/display for my Yak 9.
A photo frame, a little text done with the Cameo, some white paint with the airbrush and finally, a photo of the plane cropped and cut out.
Friday: the final photos!

to3i.jpg

7uzd.jpg

WoooOow, Denis!

I have to be honest: I was puzzled about the preshading you did, it seemed to me a beautiful pictorial exercise, but I was doubtful about the final result, which turned out to be spectacular, kudos!

Thanks also for the toothbrush bristle idea, brilliant!

the base is also very beautiful (I have to learn to use my Silhouette) even if I would have taken the photo smaller, perhaps with irregular edges as was popular at the time, covering it with the plane seems like a shame to me! my usual two kopecks, of course!

Superb work Denis, what a marvellous result! I like the way that you analyse all elements of your build and come up with a solution, talking of which your display base is ingenious! :clap2::goodjob:

Hi

Well, I have to admit , I am not fan of the  Yak 's bird..... but , man , you nailed it !!! Very nice final result , hat  off !!!

Alain