New "Battle Over Britain" movie to be released

43 minutes ago, Pete Roberts said:

If you look closely at the Heinkels, you can see the overpainted Spanish roundels. I believe they were going to modify some Harvards (?) to look like Stukas, but eventually went with large models, perhaps the one main reality problem when it came to aerial sequences.

In terms of reality in war, Saving Private Ryan got my attention. The opening scenes with the invasion of France were hard to watch, as are others through out the film, but I suspect closer to reality than some sanitised battle sequences in other movies. The BoB movie falls a bit short in its reality with some of its depiction of aircrew casualties - thankfully. (Splattering tomato sauce on goggles and flying kit!?) I did find the sequence when Chris Plummer is shot down in flames a bit stomach churning though.

Believe it or not they actually converted three Percival Proctors into Stuka replicas but they found they were very unstable in flight and they abandoned the idea. There are photos of the thing, they didn't look that bad really. 

I would agree that Saving Private Ryan has to be among the most realistic war movies...except maybe for 8th AF Mustangs as "tank busters". But for me the Battle of Britain and The Blue Max are still tops for air combat films. I think as far as depicting casualties in the Battle of Britain, I think it was just the times in film-making. Audiences have become far less squeamish, and standards are different. I think for the time the production crew and historical advisors did an outstanding job. I know people complain about Spitfire XIVs and IXs in 1940 camo, and Merlin-powered "109s" and Heinkels...but they used what they had. It was a remarkable effort I think. They tried to get technical details right, even the markings on the Hurricanes in France. No, it wasn't perfect. I still remember going to the screening as a young lad with my Dad...and his surprise and delight in hearing the Poles speaking Polish. 

As far as single scenes in movies, my favourite is the Mustang attack in Empire of the Sun.

Richard

Edited by R Palimaka

Yes, my dad taking me to see the Battle of Britain when it came out is one of my most vivid early memories.

I remember being fascinated and a little troubled by the ‘tomato ketchup’ blood on the faces of airmen shot in the sky battles.

I also distinctly remember some kid sat near us saying to his own father in the midst of a dog-fight on the screen: “Who are the baddies and who are the goodies?” and my dad saying to me “in these sequences there are no goodies or baddies, there’s just young men doing a job”.. Something which stuck with me.

I also remember him being distinctly underwhelmed by the ‘romantic’ strand with Christopher Plummer and Susanah York.

[adopt Yorkshire accent] ”They should stick t’facts and the proper history, not make up lovey-dovey nonsense..”

Yes, I too went to the BoB movie as a young lad with a mate and my family on my birthday, and had no idea they were the wrong versions of a/c being used, that only came later as I looked into these a/c more closely. Absolutely captivated at the time, having not long read ‘Reach for the Sky”. I still have immense admiration for the production and those who produced it, having cost a bomb and made a huge loss apparently.

14 hours ago, R Palimaka said:

Believe it or not they actually converted three Percival Proctors into Stuka replicas but they found they were very unstable in flight and they abandoned the idea. There are photos of the thing, they didn't look that bad really. 

Thank you! I (obviously :) ) couldn’t recall the a/c they used. Good to have the record corrected.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned 12 o'clock high, my all time favorite.  Old school movie making at it's best.  Youngsters who find old WWII black and white movies boring ought to give it a look.  Ask me how I know with 4 kids, frustrating.  I know, I know, G's posing as F's, who cares.  Has anyone mentioned Dambusters, another B&W?  

On 11/29/2023 at 5:31 PM, Shoggz said:

I also remember him being distinctly underwhelmed by the ‘romantic’ strand with Christopher Plummer and Susanah York.

You were too young, but Susannah York doffing her uniform for a white slip and stockings was one of the big thrills of my pre-pubescent years.

Edited by Bill Cross

On 12/1/2023 at 3:27 AM, Patrick HMD said:

I'm surprised no one has mentioned 12 o'clock high, my all time favorite.  Old school movie making at it's best.  Youngsters who find old WWII black and white movies boring ought to give it a look.  Ask me how I know with 4 kids, frustrating.  I know, I know, G's posing as F's, who cares.  Has anyone mentioned Dambusters, another B&W?  

Have to admit I found the movie a bit ‘meh’ personally.

I do have fond memories of watching ‘12 o’clock high’ on TV, as a series. I was just a lad then tho’, so had no idea about the nuances of different types of aircraft. I believe it was all sadly lost in a studio fire.

On 11/30/2023 at 11:27 AM, Patrick HMD said:

I'm surprised no one has mentioned 12 o'clock high, my all time favorite.... Has anyone mentioned Dambusters, another B&W?

And for you swabbies, there is "The Cruel Sea."

Most of the films from that era hold up surprisingly well. I have been listening to the "Unauthorized History of the Pacific War" podcast, and one of the hosts is an ex-submariner. He likes "Run Silent, Run Deep."

I loved "Dambusters," it was both interesting and well-acted. "Twelve O'Clock High" seems a bit flaccid in spots now, though Gregory Peck is terrific.

Hello Chaps,

Just a question but a fair one nonetheless: Was not Peter Jackson slated to produce/direct a Battle of Britain film? 

Some time ago, I remember reading something to that effect. Maybe wrong...Your opinions are most welcome. BTW, I looked at the camouflage patterns on some of the Spits in this film release and I do recall seeing some decal patterns in the black and white undersides for some AC that flew during the Battle-or was it during the Battle for France? 

This inquiring mind wants to know. thanks in advance. 

WG64

On 12/5/2023 at 3:38 AM, Wurgermeister64 said:

BTW, I looked at the camouflage patterns on some of the Spits in this film release and I do recall seeing some decal patterns in the black and white undersides for some AC that flew during the Battle-or was it during the Battle for France? 

This inquiring mind wants to know. thanks in advance. 

WG64

In the very early stages of WW2, especially the Spring of 1940, there were many variations in RAF fighter “paintwork” colours and patterns, serial numbers or lack of, roundel types or lack of, colour schemes to make IFF clearer etc etc, but largely by the summer of 1940 ie BoB, things had been pretty much standardised. You can never be certain or didactic though because anomalies will always occur.

Edited by mozart

6 hours ago, Wurgermeister64 said:

Just a question but a fair one nonetheless: Was not Peter Jackson slated to produce/direct a Battle of Britain film? 

Some time ago, I remember reading something to that effect. Maybe wrong...Your opinions are most welcome.

PJ wanted to remake The Dambusters - there were at least two full-scale (non-flying) Lancaster mock-ups built in China to be used in filming. He never got the full funding for the project, though, and as his star seems to have waned somewhat in Hollywood it now seems unlikely that the film will get the go-ahead.

The WNW/Border Lancaster was a direct result of the film project, as the team used all the research materials gained for the movie as reference for the kit.