New "Battle Over Britain" movie to be released

12 hours ago, Tony T said:

My other favourite is Memphis Belle

Tony 

Ahh, yes, Memphis Belle. It scores over 'Battle of Britain' in that the actors playing the B17 crews are at least the right age! (Robert Shaw and Christopher Plummer were well into their 30s when it was made!)

It was a good film - definitely up near the top of the list for me.

11 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

Isn't that the one with the main character landing a little short and

putting the nose of his Hurricane in the base commander's backyard pool ?

Yes  and no. "Septic" Baird (John Gregson) is arriving on his first posting and at the same time delivering a brand new Hurricane.  While landing, another aircraft making an emergency landing crosswind cuts actoss him, Septic attepts an overshoot and at least leaps over the other Hurricane. He ends up in the garden of a fighter controller whose house is at the end of the runway.

15 hours ago, MikeC said:

The classic line from the incident is when Sqn Ldr Clinton  whose garden it is, surveys the "slightly bent" Hurricane, and with suppressed emotion says: "Hello, old man. Dropped in for tea?"

Gotta luv English cinema!

Perhaps my favourite scene from the BoB movie is at the end, as ‘Dowding’ surveys the clear skies over London, removes his glasses, folds them, and slips them into his pocket - no words, but the imagery is powerful. Job done.

On 12/18/2023 at 11:23 AM, Pete Roberts said:

My only gripe with Memphis Belle is that, I believe, they put events from a lot of her missions into one mission.

I can understand the problem of including ALL of the missions in one film, but for me, an issue. Agree, still a good movie in my books.

Kind of like what Olive Stone did with Platoon!  Was Memphis Belle also the one where they crashed A B-17 while filming?

9 hours ago, JeepsGunsTanks said:

Kind of like what Olive Stone did with Platoon!  Was Memphis Belle also the one where they crashed A B-17 while filming?

Yes - B-17G-100-VE, 44-85643 (c/n 8552) F-BEEA of the French Institut Géographique National was destroyed when it hit a tree and a pile of gravel during takeoff at RAF Binbrook during filming.

19%20(Medium).jpg

16 hours ago, JeepsGunsTanks said:

...  Was Memphis Belle also the one where they crashed A B-17 while filming?

9 hours ago, MikeC said:

That was "Tora Tora Tora" http://www.daveswarbirds.com/tora/B-17.htm

7 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

They bellied one in filming The War Lover  w/Steve McQueen...

7 hours ago, vince14 said:

Yes - B-17G-100-VE, 44-85643 (c/n 8552) F-BEEA of the French Institut Géographique National was destroyed when it hit a tree and a pile of gravel during takeoff at RAF Binbrook during filming.

The moral seems to be that if you operate a B-17, don't hire it out for film work!