HKM A-20J/K in progress

Jan_G

On a quick look in warpaint I thought that the cowling with the exhausts coming through the little blisters was the early type, of cowling, now Nick raised the question. As you say Dennis, it a gets confused when different types of the same aircraft operated side by side. The bottom line if they have got it correct, I do not have to try and replicate this cowling type. I say correct as Tom found out when he scratch built a pair that they were asymmetrical, and Quickboost had got it wrong in 1/48 scale. 

11 minutes ago, Ali62 said:

On a quick look in warpaint I thought that the cowling with the exhausts coming through the little blisters was the early type, of cowling, now Nick raised the question. As you say Dennis, it a gets confused when different types of the same aircraft operated side by side. The bottom line if they have got it correct, I do not have to try and replicate this cowling type. I say correct as Tom found out when he scratch built a pair that they were asymmetrical, and Quickboost had got it wrong in 1/48 scale. 

At least in the G series, the smooth cowling appears on G-10-DO and G-20-DO airframes, and the scalloped cowling starts appearing with the G-35-DO airframe.

- Dennis S.

Mount Juliet, TN USA

23 hours ago, cairnsy said:

I'm Assuming HK will follow a similar release sequence to the 1-32 B-25 kits with the practice of being able to sub in and out some of the smaller sprues resulting in different variants/configurations what do we think we will see on the Boston/Havoc front?

Looking at the break down of the sprues I'm assuming the gun nose won't be included in this J/K boxing but it will have the cowls with tear drop exhaust blisters so I guess from a marketing angle it leaves the door wide open to include a gun nose G model kit with the later cowls, throw in some of the more colourful decals and make a "Pacific Theatre" boxing?

Would love to see an early B/C Boston as the RAAF are my main focus but that seems like it would require a fair bit more work on HK's behalf so what other boxings are Likely? Soviet?

I know it's speculative but keen to see what may be on the horizon based on peoples best informed guesses.

Cheers

Cairnsy

Having a look back at HKM's comments during the pre-release advertising, show-n-tell phase, I believe Neil mentioned that the earlier marques were not on their current release line up ... Basically we're supposed to be getting a 'G/J/K' set of boxings and that's it. 

In order to fit the powered turret to the G (not all G's had them either!), the fuselage had to be widened at the top end ... compared to previous variants, this is instantly visible with the protruded and moulded flashing around the upper section, just below the perspex. If the moulds had been designed with a "plug" in this section of the fuselage (similar to how the nose section is designed now) and the Turret assembly with separate upper fuselage panels, then just about any version would have been possible, simply by swapping over one or two sprues depending on the boxing.

They still may revise this if the present line up sells very well - and by all accounts they are at present - it shouldn't be difficult to plug up the current fuselage moulds and design some new inserts on the same sprue as some twin .50 cals on a cradle mount with some seating and other observers equipment along with any front end solid nose variation ... Similarly the clear moulds can be blanked out for unused parts and new ones created for differing glasshouse style options.

We can only hope!

Rog :)

On 10/10/2023 at 4:43 AM, Jan_G said:

renders posted on britmodeller

387736569-6958796690830209-8480032286472

387177171-6958796620830216-2521472251393

387182049-6958796827496862-1873424155424

387786540-6958836540826224-1013954406392

387171972-6958796884163523-7071960182773

387159719-6958796607496884-7753217846335

387185634-6958796720830206-4867130660722

Well, now that I have an idea what the underwing bomb racks look like [ one version ,I'm sure], I just might be able to "scratch " one up. By the way ,I just got the new Zotz decal sheet for the G , looking real good. Unfortunately i can't post any pics of them .

• 4 weeks later...

I’m definitely up for one as well. It’s worth noting that another aircraft on 88 Squadron, RH-V ( Vicky) has a very thin yellow drop shadow on the aircraft letter. 342 (French) Squadron had “drop shadows” as well. I think I have a photo of “Gen Jallopie” as well.

BZ432 was V-Vicky, flown by the Cole crew, which consisted of an English pilot, 2 Aussie air gunners, and a Barbadian navigator.  The Barbadian became prime minister of his country.

TW

Having spoken with Neil yesterday, and introducing him to Mark Postlethwaite, it would appear an RAF boxing is definitely on the cards. I asked if he would be tooling an early "Turretless" fuselage and he replied "Yes"?? 

I wasn't aware that HKM own all their own cad and mold making facilities, so it's all done in house. One would assume, this being the case, they have a tried and tested fuselage cad/cam package, so a simple change in the bulged area and whatever else needs to be done to make an early fuselage would not be a comparatively "massive" task?

Wingleader are currently putting the final touches to the "Boston/Havoc in RAF service" Photo Archive series book. Following a conversation with Mark, this early/late subject is VERY confusing. Apparently the UK purchased French Havocs early in the war and gave them a later designation than the newer Bostons bought from the USA previously?... or something along those lines..

Edited by Nigels modelling bench

1 minute ago, Nigels modelling bench said:

Having spoken with Neil yesterday, and introducing him to Mark Postlethwaite, it would appear an RAF boxing is definitely on the cards. I asked if he would be tooling an early "Turretless" fuselage and he replied "Yes"?? 

I wasn't aware that HKM own all their own cad and mold making facilities, so it's all done in house. One would assume, this being the case, they have a tried and tested fuselage cad/cam package, so a simple change in the bulged area and whatever else needs to be done to make an early fuselage would not be a comparatively "massive" task?

While not "massive", it would require a substantial amount of new plastic. About the only parts that could be brought over from the current boxings are the cockpit, wings, landing gear bays, bomb bay, radio compartment and control surfaces. To model early model B/C Havocs, HK would need an entirely different nose with different insides, an entirely different rear gunner's position with insides, different cowlings and exhaust (requiring different engine nacelles, too), and of course, different fuselage halves and new clear parts for the rear gunner. In the end, it's almost, and I stress almost, an entirely new kit.

- Dennis S.

Mount Juliet, TN USA

1 minute ago, Dennis7423 said:

While not "massive", it would require a substantial amount of new plastic. About the only parts that could be brought over from the current boxings are the cockpit, wings, landing gear bays, bomb bay, radio compartment and control surfaces. To model early model B/C Havocs, HK would need an entirely different nose with different insides, an entirely different rear gunner's position with insides, different cowlings and exhaust (requiring different engine nacelles, too), and of course, different fuselage halves and new clear parts for the rear gunner. In the end, it's almost, and I stress almost, an entirely new kit.

- Dennis S.

Mount Juliet, TN USA

Agreed Dennis, but nothing like as massive as the work required to make a new kit from scratch is what I meant. Neil is VERY enthusiastic. Lets just hope Hobby Boss don't attempt an early A-20 lol.

1 hour ago, Nigels modelling bench said:

Agreed Dennis, but nothing like as massive as the work required to make a new kit from scratch is what I meant. Neil is VERY enthusiastic. Lets just hope Hobby Boss don't attempt an early A-20 lol.

I think Neil should give us a B-26 Marauder, too, before Hobby Boss attempts to mess that up, too.

- Dennis S.

Mount Juliet, TN USA