I'm in a bit of a quandry about something....

Juggernut

Our IPMS club's annual model contest and show was last week and I had previously donated several valuable 1/35 armor kits for the club's raffle.  One of the kits I donated to our club was the FRIES KRAN 16t STRABOKRAN & Panther Ausf. ? (the crane came with one of four possible Takom panther kits but you didn't know which one you got until you opened the box - mine had the Late Panther D with Zimmerit included); the box had been opened but all sprues sealed.  The value on this kit was about $75 or so.  The kit that showed up at our raffle was NOT the kit I donated but just a FRIES KRAN 16t STRABOKRANkit by itself with a value of around $40 (or thereabouts) that was also opened and I did not know the condition of the sprues inside (because I did not look).  I did not see that particular kit at the show but saw others that I had donated.  The person that runs the raffle and is the organizer of all things for both our IPMS club and our AMPS club is the wife of one of the members.  This particular member has an enormous stash in his basement that takes up almost the entire basement...it's like a hobby shop in his basement.

I noticed it was missing the day of the show but just put in the back of my mind and did not give it much thought until today.  Since the donated kits were pretty much all kept at the members house until the contest last week, I concluded that the kit I donated was "exchanged" for the lesser value kit that was raffled at the show.  I'm not sure how I feel about this but my initial reaction this evening was that I consider it stealing and now I'm in a difficult position wondering whether I should mention it or should I just let it go...knowing full well it'll always be a point of contention.  If I do mention it, I was thinking that if I am correct and it wound up in this members stash, I would like it returned and in all likelihood, I'll be done with both clubs.

What would you do under similar circumstances? 

Email them, keep it short and to the point, eg:

Dear ?,

I notice that the FRIES KRAN 16t STRABOKRAN & Panther Ausf. ? kit I donated wasn't listed as a raffle prize, can I have it back please?

Kind regards,

Mr J

Probably two possible replies, one stating there was a mix up - doh! - and you get the kit back, the other stating the kit listed was the one you donated, if it's the latter, hopefully you have proof of purchase, whichever type of reply you receive, leave it a few days, or a week, before replying, and keep it as short as possible.

Good luck!

It's either a mistake or skullduggery. If they get difficult about it, it's probably safe to assume it's skullduggery. If they're embarrassed then it's an error. But you have to ask, just to show that you noticed it. 

Just to clarify, are the boxes of the two cranes different? I mean was it definatetly your original box with the tank taken out, or a proper crane only box? ( I am not familiar with the kit). If the tank was taken out, then that is theft, if it was a crane only box, probably a mistake. Regards, Pete

3 hours ago, europapete said:

Just to clarify, are the boxes of the two cranes different? I mean was it definatetly your original box with the tank taken out, or a proper crane only box? ( I am not familiar with the kit). If the tank was taken out, then that is theft, if it was a crane only box, probably a mistake. Regards, Pete

Yes, the boxes are completely different.  If you click on the links I posted in my OP, you’ll see the boxes are totally different.

I'd have to agree with Andy.......

If they baulk about it, as stated, it's likely someone there trying the Ol switch-er-roo thinking no one would notice.....

If they are apologetic, then likely a genuine mistake.

Is there any kind of sign up sheet, or any info you wrote down about the donation prior to donating it?

Just now, Out2gtcha said:

I'd have to agree with Andy.......

If they baulk about it, as stated, it's likely someone there trying the Ol switch-er-roo thinking no one would notice.....

If they are apologetic, then likely a genuine mistake.

Is there any kind of sign up sheet, or any info you wrote down about the donation prior to donating it?

Nope, we just handed the kits to either of the two people and trusted that it would be taken care of properly.

2 minutes ago, Juggernut said:

Nope, we just handed the kits to either of the two people and trusted that it would be taken care of properly.

As rightly so, since our hobby is generally a place with good people and good intentions.

We all know there are those without scruples or morals and just plod along doing whatever they please however they please, without a care for doing the right thing.

I'd guess now the only real way forward is to confront them about it, but in a way that doesn't automatically assume someone stole it.

Good luck!

31 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

As rightly so, since our hobby is generally a place with good people and good intentions.

We all know there are those without scruples or morals and just plod along doing whatever they please however they please, without a care for doing the right thing.

I'd guess now the only real way forward is to confront them about it, but in a way that doesn't automatically assume someone stole it.

Good luck!

Agreed. I think hobbyists tend to be very straight forward people, particularly with fellow hobbyists. But if you look hard enough you will find someone who has no moral values, just as in any cross section of society. I would say something, but approach it as a someone made a mistake. Accidents do happen, and I would start by giving the benefit of a doubt. See what reaction you get, before making a conclusion of theft. Just my 2 cents.

You sound like you've already considered all the ramifications of bringing this up....

If it is not going to be to your disadvantage, making the club president aware of what happened sounds like a good idea. People should be made aware of their own unreasonable behavior. If they've done this once to you, then could end up doing to others in the future. 

Hope this helps. 

Chris.  

I have to agree with the others. Mention it to them and then declare that you'd like your originally donated kit returned to you. The two boxes, though obviously different, are still similar enough to have possibly caused confusion. If they're honest folks, they'll probably make it right for you.