JETMADS 1/32 X-3 Stiletto

RicardoD

I opened one of my two copies of X-3 by Jetmads tonight to have a closer look inside the box.  

It took a while for the kits to arrive and project updates from Jetmads told production was delayed due to shift of schedule of the previous projects but I can say it is definitely worth the wait. I could only dream of a 1/32 X-3 and it is now here and I find the details are amazing. I did not take photos of every bit and piece, but as an example to give a better idea I put here that even the angle of attack probes on the pitot tube are there and extremely tiny which is probably why three copies are given.

I took the photos in some order and tried to choose the most relevant ones, without an intention of an unboxing or review effort while I just wanted to share with you what started as a weekend night stash check that now has been happily changed into a decision to land it on the bench and go as a “work in progress” post.

The nose, tail section, wings and all other surfaces are cast resin while main fuselage parts are 3D printed, which require surface smoothing by wet sanding. I have done this before with their Learjet’s fuselage which took about just half an hour to achieve a perfectly smooth surface so I’ll start the build doing the same with this one.

Clear parts are good and clear enough, nevertheless I extra polish all canopies of my kits and I’ll do the same here.

60.jpg

61.jpg

62.jpg

64.jpg

63.jpg

65.jpg

66.jpg

67.jpg

70.jpg

68.jpg

69.jpg

72.jpg

71.jpg

I have tested a dry fit, which seems quite ok… This thing is about 60cm, without the pitot which is another 4-5cm, and I hope I can complete the build without dropping it. Safety goggles may also be required when handling this dart and avoid the eyes from that pointy nose :)

Looking forward to post the build as it progresses and let’s see how it goes.… Thanks for looking…

80.jpg

84.jpg

83.jpg

82.jpg

81.jpg

15 hours ago, easixpedro said:

So cool. Still boggles the mind that dudes strapped airplanes like this on and did flight tests. But that was Edwards in the 50s…

can’t wait to see her built up!

Exactly so! These were real engineers, I must say. What those guys achieved without computers and even calculators have always amazed me!

Guys who test-flew those aircraft are also deserve all admiration.

3 hours ago, fab said:

Hello

The quality print is ...stratospheric...:crying:

2023 is really the beginning of a new era for modelling...

Amities

Fab

Indeed but some parts look again terribly fragile and make you wonder how to manipulate the kit during assembly and painting phases. Think engine intake parts of the Viggen or static discharge sticks on the Learjet. It looks the Stiletto is similar. I will be happy when we will get stronger and less brittle printed resin as the final idea is not to look at marvelous parts on the printing gates but to be able to use them.