Tamiya 1/32 Spitfire XIVe Conversion (Laminar Flow Design)

Thunnus

Thanks guys!  I appreciate the comments!

Time to get familiar with the Tamiya kit.  I'm going to look at some of the sprues just to get the lay of the land.  Since this is a conversion to a Griffon-powered XIVe, I'm going to skip over the Merlin engine parts for obvious reasons.  Using the conversion may actually simplify this build!

First up is the wing sprue.  XVIe kit converted to an XIVe... assuming that there are no major changes on the wing.
IMG_5355.jpg

As typical of recent Tamiya kits, the molding detail is exquisite and I have no fear that the various inserts for the wing panels will fit well.
IMG_5356.jpg

IMG_5357.jpg

More control surfaces on this sprue.  I assume that this includes the wing tips for the non-clipped wing version of the E-wing.
IMG_5358.jpg

A comparison between the Laminar Flow Design resin rudder and the kit rudder.  I'm sure the kit cannot match the thinness of the resin since the rudder, like the other control surfaces, is molded in halves.
IMG_5359.jpg

Here is ithe low-back Spitfire fuselage.
IMG_5360.jpg

I think this hatch goes away with the XIVe conversion.  It will be a challenge to restore the fine panel line and rivet detail.
IMG_5361.jpg

I have the Quinta cockpit for the XVIe so I'm pretty sure I won't be using the kit instrument panel but it looks to be molded well with lots of 3D-relief.
IMG_5362.jpg

I assume this sprue is specific to the bulkheads associated with the low-back Spitfire.
IMG_5363.jpg

IMG_5364.jpg

The other internal components including the cockpit are on this sprue.
IMG_5365.jpg

From my understanding, the XIVe cockpit is different than the XVIe and is more similar to the VIII.  So I am doing a little research into the cockpit specifics of the VIII/XIV types.
IMG_5367.jpg

IMG_5368.jpg

The clear parts including the clipped wing tips and the bubble canopy.
IMG_5369.jpg

The bubble has a subtle molding ridge down the middle that will need to be polished away.
IMG_5370.jpg

The central instrument cluster is represented in clear plastic.  I've never liked this approach to instrument panels as the molded clear plastic is too thick.  I've got the Quinta panel anyways so this won't be an issue.
IMG_5371.jpg

Some external components including the gun panel covers for the wing.
IMG_5372.jpg

Landing gear legs look pretty basic.
IMG_5373.jpg

Wheel well parts on this sprue and what looks to be more landing gear legs?
IMG_5374.jpg

Some detail parts provided on a metal sprue.  I've got the HGW fabric seatbelts so I don't have to use the stiff metal belts.
IMG_5375.jpg

And here is the aftermarket list of items I have available.  This includes:
1. Barrcuda Spitfire Cockpit Upgrade Set (BR32003)
2. Barracuda Spitfire Cockpit Upgrade Set Part 2 (BR32011)
3. Barracuda Spitfire Starboard Cockpit Sidewall (BR32008)
4. Barracuda Spitfire Seat with Leather Backpad (BR32001)
5. Barracuda Spitfire Door w/ Crowbar (BR32002)
6. Barracuda Spitfire Four Slot Mainwheels (BR32006)
7. Master Spitfire IXe, XVIe Late Gun Barrels (AM32-082)
8. Quinta Spitfire XVI 3D Interior (32020)
9. HGW RAF Late Seatbelts (132503)
10. Aviaeology Spitfire Airframe Stencils Decal Sheet

IMG_5376.jpg

1 hour ago, monthebiff said:

please expand on the "unconvincing " aspect as I'm intreaged?

Uh oh - did you build one?  I don't know.  Many models are a bit unconvincing either because the tires were not weighted, or the paint job is too pristine, or perhaps the model isn't a Tamiya!  I like models that look as if they were shrink-rayed.  John's pretty good at that!!

Hi gents. 

I have a few stones to add to the wall on the cockpit matter.

Taken at EBFS (Florennes) museum during my visit.

Photos are from a high back variant, but it’s mainly the same arrangement except there is an added crank mechanism on the right sidewall for canopy opening.

Left sidewall, wich is where the main differences are. I did not adress them as they finish hidden between the seat and door access. Purists will take care of them on their builds (I will for my own as well!)

RnW5a0X.jpg

2NThVja.jpg

uRdYUML.jpg

GyXkX0v.jpg

If any one knows what is the purpose of the control unit behind - Correction : between the radio control box and the door access, I’m all ears.

right sidewall:

CXTtKJu.jpg

uDcSbQJ.jpg

ZTKoDb1.jpg

Looking forward to your updates John.

Regards.

Mathieu

Edited by MDuv

Thanks guys!  Appreciate the comments as always and reference photos are ALWAYS welcome!

2 hours ago, MDuv said:

If any one knows what is the purpose of the control unit behind the radio control box, I’m all ears.

I don't even know where the radio control box is...  yet!!!  Thanks for the cockpit photos, Mathieu... very helpful!  Very impressed with the work you put into this set!  I'm sure you'll be seeing a lot of future builds of the both the low-back and high-back XIVe soon!

I decided to forge ahead and start the surgery on the kit fuselage.  Here are the fuselage halves unaltered.
IMG-5378.jpg

The forward cut seems pretty straightforward but I'm nervous about the tail cut.
IMG-5379-R.jpg

IMG-5380-R.jpg

I started with the forward removal.  I like to make my cut just outside of the actual joint just to give me some wiggle room in case of a mistake. I've drawn guide lines in pencil.
IMG-5381.jpg

The fuselage halves after the cuts and some clean-up.  I had to use some black CA to fill in a couple of notches from errant cuts.
IMG-5384.jpg

A preliminary dry-fit of the Griffon nose looks good.
IMG-5385.jpg

IMG-5386.jpg

20 hours ago, JayW said:

Uh oh - did you build one?  I don't know.  Many models are a bit unconvincing either because the tires were not weighted, or the paint job is too pristine, or perhaps the model isn't a Tamiya!  I like models that look as if they were shrink-rayed.  John's pretty good at that!!

No I didn't Jay, was just an interesting comment that's all. I think we are spoilt for choice now and Tamiya are no longer the benchmark any more but if they popped a brand new subject they could well set the benchmark a little higher which I'm sure John would shrink Ray very nicely!

Regards. Andy 

Regarding the wing, this was based on the Mk. VIII wing, so would have the leading edge fuel tanks and the drain point on the lower surface.  Need to check if the lights on the lower wing were in the same positon as the Mk. VIII too.

Way back in 2014, we went to Japan, and I could afford to buy a Tamiya Mk VIII and XVI with the idea of crosskitting them and a bit of converting to make a Mk. XIV low back.  The leftovers can be used to make a "vanilla" Mk.IXc.

Thanks guys!  I appreciate the comments and the information regarding the differences between the XVIe kit and the XIVe that I'm trying to build.  It helps knowing that the XIVe wing is based on the VIII wing since Tamiya has produced both kits.  I'm hoping to be able to make the necessary modifications without having to buy additional parts.

9 hours ago, jenshb said:

Regarding the wing, this was based on the Mk. VIII wing, so would have the leading edge fuel tanks and the drain point on the lower surface.  Need to check if the lights on the lower wing were in the same positon as the Mk. VIII too.

Way back in 2014, we went to Japan, and I could afford to buy a Tamiya Mk VIII and XVI with the idea of crosskitting them and a bit of converting to make a Mk. XIV low back.  The leftovers can be used to make a "vanilla" Mk.IXc.

The LFD conversion set includes scribing templates for the leading edge fuel tanks and the fuel ports.  It also provides three new underside lights (port wing bottom, fuselage and starboard wing bottom) so I'm assuming those are taken care of.  Not sure about the drain port on the lower surface... where is that located?

1 hour ago, Kagemusha said:

Further on the wing, the VIII ailerons are shorter, the XVI was based on the IX, you can compare the Tamiya kit instructions; XI, XVI, VIII, it's probably easiesr to buy the required VIII parts, upper wings, ailerons, etc.,

Great idea! I've overlayed the Tamiya kit instruction plan views of the XVIe and VIII kits in Photoshop and I can see some of the differences including the leading edge fuel ports, the shorter aileron, and underside light positions.  The LFD conversion set covers most of these wing modifications. 

Looks like I've got some homework to do!