Tamiya 1/32 Spitfire XIVe Conversion (Laminar Flow Design)

Thunnus

Thanks guys!  Jay... regarding your black CA question... in addition to making it easy to track your repairs due to the black color as Tom pointed out, the black CA that I use is rubberized.  It cures a little less hard than regular CA and is easier to sand.  I use this one...

51-Oklxhv-0-L-AC-SL1200.jpg

1 hour ago, Shoggz said:

Like MRP paint, black CA glue seems to be as rare as rocking horse droppings on this island..

I blame ‘Nigel’s Modelling Bench’ as he extols its virtues (as you have above) on his YouTube channel!

https://zen-racing.co.uk/glue/892-bsi-ic2000-black-rubber-toughened-ca-1-2oz.html

I decided to mount the Quinta instrument panel so the raised details on the kit part needs to be shaved down.
IMG-5574.jpg

IMG-5575.jpg

The backing on the Quinta panels is a little sticky after removing it from the decal sheet but not tacky enough to serve as a permanent attachment.  So I used PVA glue.
IMG-5576.jpg

I have a few choices for the Mark IID Gyro gun sight.  The Tamiya part is on the right.  The Barracuda resin sight in the middle.  On the left is a spare resin gun sight from the Special Hobby Tempest kit.  The Tamiya version is decent but the additional detail on the resin parts is very evident.
IMG-5573.jpg

Checking to see how the Barracuda resin gun sight attaches to the instrument panel. The reflector glass and shroud still need to be added to the gunsight.
IMG-5577.jpg

On 10/13/2023 at 4:19 PM, scvrobeson said:

Nice to see you back on this project John. Really looking forward to seeing the Spitfire.  I think that Barracuda sight is the way to go, can't beat that detail.

Matt 

Thank you Matt!  Spraying the resin parts with some primer helps to see the detail.

On 10/14/2023 at 10:02 PM, Corvo_1971 said:

Great project, I'm still wondering why Tamiya has not released Griffon Spitfires yet, I have been asking when LFD will resume production of these conversion sets, they are out of stock. Where did you get yours? Looks like the fit is good. 

Thank you!  I got my conversion set from the first production run offered by LFD back in August.  Mathieu states that the next offering date for the XIVe conversion will be sometime in December.  To ensure you get a copy, I recommend following his page on Facebook as he is posts regular updates there and will give a heads up when the website will reflect new stock.

With the daughters visiting, I haven't had much time on the modeling bench.  I took a few hours looking at some of the cockpit parts.  These bulkheads have lightening holes molded as circular depressions.
IMG-5581.jpg

The holes were drilled out.
IMG-5583.jpg

IMG-5584.jpg

Three versions of the control stick.  On the left is the kit part.  In the middle is the resin version from Barracuda's Spitfire Cockpit Upgrade set.  The wires were added after assembly.  On the right is the more recent digitally printed control stick from Barracuda.
IMG-5586.jpg