F-15A Improved Baz

On 5/21/2023 at 10:22 PM, Pete Fleischmann said:

Hey Jugg-

yep. Whata PITA that was.

I ended up mixing my own out of some aqueous Mr color metallic blues and greens. I shot it over a silver base; and then used some filters to adjust the color…and then an oil wash and some dry brushing. The IAF jets are pretty weathered too- so I had a lot of wiggle room to interpret the color vs. the typically pristine USAF jets. 

cheers

P

Nice aotake!

• 3 weeks later...

This kit is great- but will need some rivet work. 
I lightly marked the Rivet locations with a 1.5mm Galaxy wheel; then hit each one with compass needle- then sanded back the volcanoes with 600 grit wet

not done yet with either half; but you get the idea-

9fd0YX4.jpg

KcABwph.jpg

The flip flop shaped area was filled with JB Weld- it shouldn’t be there..at least no panel line there..in real life, that shape is simply a stain left behind from the plastic pitot boom cover

cheers

P

Edited by Pete Fleischmann

Pete, nice work and glad to see you tackling the big eagle. What are you using as guide for your rivet work? I am searching this part of the jet and so far all I see is what some close up photos show. I have not see any specific drawing or layout diagram. So, I will be interested to hear your thoughts. TIA

5 hours ago, Youngtiger1 said:

Pete, nice work and glad to see you tackling the big eagle. What are you using as guide for your rivet work? I am searching this part of the jet and so far all I see is what some close up photos show. I have not see any specific drawing or layout diagram. So, I will be interested to hear your thoughts. TIA

Full disclosure: if I was doing a USAF Eagle, I probably wouldn’t rivet this section of the jet. These flush rivets are really hard to see in photos of jets with a well maintained paint job.

Depending on the period photos used, some of the IAF jets look pretty rough..like US Navy rough..the paint is literally falling off of them. 
knowing that I’ll weather this model to match some pretty dramatic photos; I thought that exposing the rivet textures in this area could be interesting- However I am concentrating primarily on the avionics access panels- Although visible in the photos below; I haven’t seen the rivets on the fuselage skin panels directly below the cockpit ever exposed with a coat of paint-but their location is often revealed from touch ups. There is a pic further below to show what I mean-

VsYtrih.jpg

HNBooLe.jpg

6AyrfM8.jpg

well worn Eagles (Airliners.net)

UUlTad3.jpg

GSvFzAR.jpg

cheers

P

Edited by Pete Fleischmann

27 minutes ago, Dope737 said:

PF, I'm real interested on how that fuselage closes up around that aires pit.  I have one and the pit doesn't line up right at all.  Stopped me dead in my progress.

https://imgur.com/a/fKG7aEg

Big gap between the turtle back and bulkhead.

Nice work by the way brother!

Hmm-

Mine seems to come up slightly short at the aft end of bay 5 only; and will require a spacer between the aft bulkhead of bay 5 and the aft cockpit combing near the cabin pressure regulator..if that makes sense. I’ll grab a pic-

P

Don't know what stores load you are planning, but I've designed accurate 1/32 3D printed Python IIIs and F-15 launch rails, which are now also available through Mike over at Phase Hangar Resin.

No photo description available.

No photo description available.

https://phasehangarresin.com/collections/32001-1-32/products/32015-rafael-python-iii-missile-2

Note that the adaptors come with the correct style LAU-7s attached as well.

https://phasehangarresin.com/collections/32001-1-32/products/32016-python-iii-pylon-adapter-f-15-eagle