• 5 weeks later...

Hi all,

Back with another update!

In my previous instalment I had completed the application of the decals and panel washing and was getting ready for the weathering effects!

I decided to go for a heavily weathered airframe by combining effects from different reference pics including historical WW2 pictures as well as from modern show birds. 

Some examples below with pictures borrowed from Tom Carlill's website (

EwzyvS.png

vAyyIn.jpg

bi2TA1.jpg

For weathering I relied on my trusty black and raw amber Abteilung 502 oils.

By varying the consistency of the oils with mineral spirits I was able to depict the oil and fuel streaks as well as other effects across the fuselage.

zM1eve.jpg
dBCuOf.jpg
UZmamf.jpg

dyUrtb.jpg

T1bRIb.jpg

WIKYV5.jpg

wzOSMc.jpg
BBPHvl.jpg
oW0cAT.jpg
3wIXG0.jpg

E7Gn2v.jpg
U2EBHt.jpg
DgAuGG.jpg
NxAxC0.jpg
1nXtS3.jpg
tDR0yU.jpg
0AtWdV.jpg
wEym6C.jpg
hWyFyN.jpg

For the exhaust stains I used a combination of brown, black and white inks applied in the same order with an airbrush.

The next day and with the inks dry to the touch I dabbed over them with a piece of tissue paper soaked in rubbing alcohol to make the splotsy effect. 

Qw7oLJ.jpg
A0cs8S.jpg

Let me know what you guys think and if there's anything else I can do.

I can still make corrections and additions before I seal everything with a coat of matt varnish.

Thanks for checking! :lol:

VERY impressive and realistic exhaust stains @spyrosjzmichos.
Except one thing: on wartime Jugs, those outlets were not exhausts but the waste gates for the turbo, therefore NO staining whatsoever.
On restored planes like the one on your reference pics, they left off the turbo and used the outlets as gas exhaust, hence the extensive staining.

Far from being a P-47D expert, I learned this during the building of my first MiniArt 1/48 kit and thought I’d share it with you.

Cheers,

Quang

Edited by quang