4 hours ago, Reuben L. Hernandez said:

Looking great so far. I'm currently getting ready to start working on mine. Question, where did you get the rivet pattern detail from? 

Thanks,

Reuben

Thank you Reuben! ^_^

I actually used drawings of the P-47D Razorback as a guide to do the rivets.

I wasn't looking to be 100% accurate but just wanted to make the surfaces look busier but in a credible way.

You can find the drawing here (need to scroll a bit down the post):  

https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/11632945-p-47-razorback-hangar-9-build.html

3 hours ago, spyrosjzmichos said:

Thank you Reuben! ^_^

I actually used drawings of the P-47D Razorback as a guide to do the rivets.

I wasn't looking to be 100% accurate but just wanted to make the surfaces look busier but in a credible way.

You can find the drawing here (need to scroll a bit down the post):  

https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/11632945-p-47-razorback-hangar-9-build.html

Cool, thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for. Appreciate the info and looking forward to you build.

• 3 months later...

Hello everyone!

It's been some time since the last update!

Never realised that moving houses can be so disruptive to our hobby! :wacko:

I was initially planning to use the Avionix resin cockpit.

However, I soon realised that I got the wrong version with the corrugated floor which would be correct for an aircraft up to the -25 variant but not for a -30 one.

I was also not happy with the overall casting quality as a few parts had bubbles.

So I decided to bite the bullet and add the details myself.

The only thing I kept from the resin set is the seat which is well detailed and has seatbelts already moulded.

I also replaced the kit's instrument panel with one from Yahu Models.

Detailing was done mainly with lead wire and a few punch n' die disks.

2fKAXX.jpg

8hovdS.jpg

NFiP3a.jpg

UjekMg.jpg

UyObLx.jpg

0z2j79.jpg

With the cockpit detailing done I moved on to painting.

While I was aware that the overall cockpit colour should be dark gull green I came across pictures of a P-47D under restoration which showed some sections of the cockpit painted in interior green: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/252070-cockpit-historical-authenticity/

I liked the contrast of the dark and light greens so much I decided to apply the same to my model.

The cockpit was first primed in black and then painted over with MRP dark gull green.

For the interior green sections and detailing I switched to acrylic paints from Mig Ammo and Vallejo.

I also added a few placards from an Airscale decal sheet.

For weathering I did some chipping with aluminium, light green and chipping (a Mig Ammo colour) followed by additional weathering with oils.

ZMrisC.jpg

BtRGCT.jpg

gm1vUB.jpg

Bs9TV2.jpg

quISNe.jpg

eT64BN.jpg

YMe7mm.jpg

phcOEI.jpg

2pHjZz.jpg

Oylq8D.jpg

q1lfHg.jpg

7Wf1Wc.jpg

K0huNS.jpg

rXEP8A.jpg

gNvv0J.jpg

470EaK.jpg

Edited by spyrosjzmichos

I also took the opportunity to paint the wheel wells using MRP yellow for the overall colour and acrylic paints for the details.

All details were then highlighted with a black wash.

Additional weathering is required as I plan to depict the dirt splatters from the wheels.

6EYZPR.jpg

L48xm1.jpg

FK3NMT.jpg

Edited by spyrosjzmichos

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone!

A long overdue update on this project!

In my last post I had already completed the cockpit and wheel wells, including painting and weathering.

Following this I moved on with to the engine area.

I was already aware that cowling ends up being misaligned to the cockpit due to the wrongly positioned support plug.

As such, I cut off the plug in order to align the whole engine assembly properly once it was complete.

However, I also ran into another unexpected problem.

I initially planned to install the Quickboost engine but realised that it would not fit into the assembled cowling without major sanding.

I also noticed that barely any of the engine's details would be visible through the cowling once the propeller was installed. 

I eventually decided to use the kit's engine instead which was further detailed with lead wire to depict the ignition cables.

Painting was done with a combination of Alclad and MRP paints while Abteilung oils were used for the weathering. 

The propeller was painted and weathered in the same way.

D9b6Xq.jpg

ecfylT.jpg

afBoJy.jpg

qXV5G5.jpg

JrnTts.jpg

The cowling itself was a nightmare to assemble.

While I had no issues putting together the four separate cowling pieces, the internal support provided by the kit was inadequate. 

As such, the overall assembly collapsed twice during prolonged sanding sessions.

In the end, I decided to reinforce the joints with superglue from the inside.

The resulting exterior gaps were covered with a mixture of superglue and talcum powder and sanded multiple times till smooth.

Some basic rivet patterns were also added with the help of my trusty Rossie the Riveter tool.

The interior of the cowling was later painted in MRP chromate yellow and weathered with heavy chipping.

j5owUQ.jpg

UpVfqJ.jpg

6oNB5B.jpg

I think the resulting assembly came out pretty decent.

Got to admit that I really love the look and feeling of raw power that this engine gives!

sWxtnS.jpg

sP11j6.jpg

phR8Sp.jpg

mOHpL3.jpg

Thanks for checking everyone!