Border Models Lancaster - it will be my last LSP build

Stokey Pete

This is a big departure from my usual subject of fast jets.

I’d originally slated this to be a build that would signal the end of my modelling ‘career’ so to speak. But instead, I’ve decided to make some inroads into it. My eyesight and dexterity aren’t as sharp as they were and I want to get it built and do the kit justice while I still can. 
On opening the box, I’m confronted with the decision of where the heck to start. So I’ve chosen to keep it simple for now. I’m building the bomb load of 6 1000lb’ers, and 8 500lb’ers. Alongside this, I’ll be getting into the 4 Merlin engines, building them up to the point of attachment to the bulkheads. All 4 will be on show when I eventually get it finished.

The interior and fuselage will be further down the line, pending a bit of hands on time with an actual Lancaster. 
Updates are likely to be few and far between to begin with, as I’m not sure how much time I’ll get to complete substantial amounts of parts built. 

Edited by Stokey Pete

Not a huge amount to show for nearly 3 hours work :lol:
There’s a fair amount of trimming of sprue tabs, on some seriously fine parts. 
Anyone building every bomb in the kit has my deepest respect. I’ve tired from just doing the 14 I’m hanging off the Lanc’.

52741251189_1c86571e50_b.jpg

4 hours ago, Zola25 said:

I will surely follow along on this Pete.. Hope to pick up a few tips and tricks for my own Lancaster

Will you build this wheels up or down? 

Niels 

This is gonna be a rare wheels down for me. I don’t have the minerals to cut up the parts that make up the gear doors to close them. 

I was also considering the sheer size of it, and think I’ll leave one of the outer wings loose fit so that I can display it in my current shelving arrangement.

Good on you Pete. I also have the Border Lanc waiting for my attention but its sheer size and complexity are really quite daunting.  There are so many other models that I want to make, building the Lanc is going to be a huge investment in time (and space!). 

9 minutes ago, mozart said:

Good on you Pete. I also have the Border Lanc waiting for my attention but its sheer size and complexity are really quite daunting.  There are so many other models that I want to make, building the Lanc is going to be a huge investment in time (and space!). 

There’s no doubt about its daunting appearance. Just opening the box and seeing the contents brought on a cold sweat. 
I’ve applied the rationale that I know very little about the Lanc’, it’s not my area of ‘expertise’. So I can enjoy the kit

for the amazing feat of model engineering that it is, and not get too hung up on what’s correct about this mark, or wrong about that mark, etc. 

So much for simple. The bombs have such intricate rack attachments. The detail in these tiny parts are blowing my mind already. 
I’ve ordered a set of 1 Man Army’s stencil masks. I want to paint aa much as possible  onto this, with minimal decal use. 
Here’s 2 of the 14 bombs, dry assembled to see how it all fits together. 

52745472621_9a47363cee_b.jpg

1 hour ago, themongoose said:

Is there an option to hang it from the wall? This will shape up to be a long term build to watch!

Bulldog Models in the UK actually makes (made?) some 3D-printed wall mounts that are designed to hang aircraft by their tails. I have a couple, but haven't had the need to use them yet.

Kev

3 hours ago, themongoose said:

Is there an option to hang it from the wall? This will shape up to be a long term build to watch!

My original plan was to wall mount it, over the top of a period overhead photo, to try and have it look like it was over a target on a bomb run.

That kinda went out of the window with my choice to have all the engines exposed. I may yet attempt a wall mount, but it’d have to have a different backdrop.

This morning I have a fair bit of free time, and thought I’d make a start on collecting all the necessary parts for the bomb bay. 
Im taking a bit of advice from Nigel’s Modelling Bench videos about build sequence, and starting there, before adding the cockpit, and finally the exterior skins. 
This post is to warn others with the kit……be seriously careful when separating the wiring, and the internal rib parts of the bay. They’re ridiculously fine, and so so easy to break. Ask me how I know? :BANGHEAD2:
There’s need for a bit of creative repair work before assembly.