Oh Look, A Squirrel!

Uncarina

No offense at all Rick. Sometimes the bandage hurts when pulled off. For me, one of the difficulties is seeing the potential in a kit: the markings, the paint scheme, the family lineage, or even unit usage, IE: AVG, Cactus Air Force, BoB, No. Africa, etc.

That frail mental condition can lead to large stacks of kits, often with doubles or...triples of a kit. I'm thinking Spittys and 109s here. So, I set up shelves with a defined space, and my collection has to fit there. My shelves are 6 foot tall and 3047 1/2 feet long.

14 hours ago, LSP_Mike said:

And, just for the record, I have been selling at shows. My stash is now right at 225, if you don't count the box of egg planes and caricature cars...

I don’t Mike, I don’t :P

Cheers,  Tom

20 hours ago, LSP_Mike said:

No offense at all Rick. Sometimes the bandage hurts when pulled off. For me, one of the difficulties is seeing the potential in a kit: the markings, the paint scheme, the family lineage, or even unit usage, IE: AVG, Cactus Air Force, BoB, No. Africa, etc.

That frail mental condition can lead to large stacks of kits, often with doubles or...triples of a kit. I'm thinking Spittys and 109s here. So, I set up shelves with a defined space, and my collection has to fit there. My shelves are 6 foot tall and 3047 1/2 feet long.

Same illness here. Got a remedy: I've build them all. Both a Turkish and an Iranian armored brigade, with all the bells and whistles. In 3mm scale :P

Iranian Army:

p5000040ezut8.jpg

Jepp, there are a Mig-29, a Cobra, a Chinook and a Su-24. There is also a Mig-25 in Syrian markings, as a fast recce asset, a Frogfoot and a Hind.

Our Turkish partners:

img0082qlu5i.jpg

With a drone, of course. Turkish drones are renown nowadays. Still have a dozen Phantoms in the stash (i. e. a very small zip lock bag) to be added to the forces. Both.

This helps a lot, because I own now all thes models in all these intereting markings, build up and painted! :thumbsup:

In case you want to know (sure you want :D ) : Yes, all the aircrafts and helos feature proper roundels. There is a British vendor making decals that small.

Otherwise the samt thing here:

Sold a lot of stuff at ebay within the last years and still selling. Braille scale kits, tabletop stuff, 1/35 armor. Both to rais funds and to reduce the stash. Well, it's more a kind of exchange: Braille scale out - WNW stuff and resin kits in...:crying::yahoo:

Regards

- dutik

On 1/12/2023 at 7:03 AM, BGB said:

Not offeded at all:) ! 200 You say but that sounds like a manageable stash.

Cheers

Boris

Most LSP, 1/32.  Some early space race rockets and stations,  1/16 scale tanks.  And a few goofy looking 1950s French cars. Manageable and much reduced after selling and dumping off 1/35 scale.  

My stash is pretty small - tiny compared to some - being a total of 59 kits.  I very rarely start a new build prior to finishing a current project.  My two recent "Ready for Inspection" models being that rare exception as I had to wait several weeks for an AM item for the SE5a and paused that build to work on the build for the "Turning Japanese" GB.  I tend to be focus on completing projects I start in just about everything I do, so the way I build models is in line with that.  

As was pointed out above, other hobbies impact modelling time significantly for me, though mine is seasonal.  Like Tom (Uncarina), I am an avid road cyclist and between the beginning of April through the end of October I spend a lot of time in the saddle.  I still build, but I'd guess my pace slows to a quarter of the speed in the later fall and winter months.  

I also have slumps from time to time building certain types of kits - LSPs for example.  Normally I'll build a couple of armor or ship models during those times; probably much like many of you in this thread.  I don't think there is any right or wrong with anything that has been brought up in the thread so far.  We build, or do other hobbies, because it gives us pleasure and is a nice pasttime.  When we reach a point where that is not the case, I think it is prefectly ok to take a break - and if something does not get finished then it doesn't get completed.  Maybe we'll come back to it in the future and maybe not.  Either way, if we had fun in our journey up to that point, I'd consider it a win.

Ernest

Edited by Greif8

• 2 weeks later...

I don't even want to mention the amount of kits in the "insulation stash" that make it obvious i will NEVER build all of them let alone a few at the moment, but that condition was already present during a long period gone and also because of other activities (or mainly because of...) this kit building has been pushed further and further down the line.

Okay, enough contemplating the obvious, i feel we all experience this phenomenon of laying low on kit building, and that's ofcourse very personal to each of us, and also being everyones privilige the way we go along with this, but it is a well known "dilemma" that is lurking in the corners.......

So you'll have to be a "die-hard" to be consistent with our hobby?  I don't know............

just my two p"s

Jack

I went to a very nice model show last Saturday.  It boasted an excellent variety of vendors.  These included one of my favorites, Dean’s Hobbies.   Dean is retired, the store is closed so it was a big surprise to see him back on the hobby circuit.  Anyway, I had cash in hand and the A-list ready to test my stash limit rules. I was an hour late which of course doomed my chances at 1/32 and most everything else.  The place was mobbed.  The first show in 3 years was a hit!  

A club mate scored a Trumpeter 1/16 Jadgpanzer for a bit over $200!  Another found Tamiya race cars.  Three WNW kits for $100 each caused some nose bleeds. 

I did find many details sets for my projects at 10 cents on the dollar.  I really need to up my game.  LOL.