USAAF Beaufighter MkVIf

1 hour ago, scvrobeson said:

Don't know how I had missed this one so far. Incredible work Pete, another great project coming from you.

What did you use for the wood paneling in the rear cockpit?

Matt 

Thanks Matt-

I shot it with Tamiya deck tan after a little pre shading, then plywood decals from Uschi and some oil washes-

cheers

P

2 minutes ago, thammond65 said:

Wow that cockpit is amazing! The levers are brilliant- a small question on those. Wouldn't they all be in the same position on the ground i.e. closed or open, down or up?

I think probably yes- at least more than I have done- I did make sure the gear lever was down and the flap lever up, and the throttles mostly closed..but yes you are correct I think.

The honest answer is it was simply easier to paint them this way-

cheers

P

25 minutes ago, Pete Fleischmann said:

I think probably yes- at least more than I have done- I did make sure the gear lever was down and the flap lever up, and the throttles mostly closed..but yes you are correct I think.

The honest answer is it was simply easier to paint them this way-

cheers

P

Well, at least you didn’t paint all of ‘em red like so many modelers do.  Seeing as how this thing is a twin, I assume the red and green correlate to port and starboard engine functions?  There would be a certain logic to that, I’d think.

3 minutes ago, Oldbaldguy said:

Well, at least you didn’t paint all of ‘em red like so many modelers do.  Seeing as how this thing is a twin, I assume the red and green correlate to port and starboard engine functions?  There would be a certain logic to that, I’d think.

You are correct OBG.

and I really had to resist the temptation to paint the gun switch on the yoke red..

but all the references show it a metallic copper color or black.

P

Edited by Pete Fleischmann

Pete, that cockpit is absolutely brilliant :)

superbly done and I am so pleased to see Steve's hard 3D work come to life

really enjoying watching, I have a very dusty Revell Beau somewhere which I also put a LOT of time in and never finished - was an interesting airframe, forget the reg but dayfighter scheme with a night bottom right up the fuselage sides - based in Tangmere I think

would love to do a 1/18 one :ninja:

Peter

3 hours ago, airscale said:

Pete, that cockpit is absolutely brilliant :)

superbly done and I am so pleased to see Steve's hard 3D work come to life

really enjoying watching, I have a very dusty Revell Beau somewhere which I also put a LOT of time in and never finished - was an interesting airframe, forget the reg but dayfighter scheme with a night bottom right up the fuselage sides - based in Tangmere I think

would love to do a 1/18 one :ninja:

Peter

Thanks Peter- appreciate the kind words!

I used your fabulous Airscale instruments for this. They are outstanding in every respect, and really make Steve’s fantastic cockpit pop! Time to order more-

I’d also like to see a 1/18 Beau!! I say do it-

cheers

Pete

Small update-

forgot to show you guys this-

this is the heater element that runs to the cockpit. The asbestos texture was stippled on using Mr Surfacer. This will get painted 

OajsfPI.jpg

all the raised panel lines sanded off. I plan on skinning the entire airframe vs scribing- looks like I’ll be mastering my own transparencies. More to follow on that-

old photo from day 1

9xVFb46.jpg

cheers

P

Cannons are in-

These are each one-piece affairs that click into place on each side. They were primed with Mr Surfacer 1500 black, then shot with Tamiya NATO black, and given a rub & buff with AK gun metal polishing powder. As soon as I can find my MiG engine oil enamel, I’ll mess these up a little with some gun oil here and there.
rSrycWK.jpg

Again; I can’t imagine how friggin’ loud it must have been for the observer when all four of these cannons we’re cycling -

Uupv390.jpg

I assume that the cannons probably throw some residue, etc..so I dirty’d up the exposed areas around the cannons-

been painting the magazines and radar gear which will get installed soon-

The magazines go here- They are keyed so you don’t screw it up- Thanks Steve!

06Qx4uZ.jpg

cheers

Pete

Edited by Pete Fleischmann